1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Ghost Recon: Wildlands

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hex, 2 Feb 2017.

1. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Last edited: 21 Feb 2017
  2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

This trailer would also work for Far Cry and Just Cause seems identical lol

3. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

That looks really good. Is it an invite closed beta?

Edit: looks like it a register / some guaranteed key?

4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

hope it dont flop as hard as division!

5. Hex

Yeah, you have to register but a key is not guaranteed :( I signed up the day registration went live for Xbox and last week for PC and didn't get in. You get 3 invites for friends if you do get in though, so I've been invited on PC :clap:

6. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Signed up earlier on both my Ubisoft accounts. Guess I missed the boat if they have already been sent out.

7. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I missed out on a key too even though I signed up last week. Hey, ho, would have liked to have had a bash but I'm sure it will be in open beta soon.

Last edited: 17 Feb 2017
  8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Love the co-op aspect.

Anyone played it so far?

9. Hex

Yeah, played it with friends last night. It's got some issues, but it's fun. Probably not enough for me to actually buy it, but I'm sure I'll be playing more of the beta tonight.

Found out something really great in my time playing... if you disconnect from your squad and you aren't the one flying the helicopter... you plummet to your death (I didn't have parachutes unlocked yet). That was... interesting! I figured they'd just move me to the flying position, but no, I was sat outside so couldn't even swap seats to pilot! :lol: (Sidenote: a friend also found that you can throw a grenade into your own helicopter from the side seats too. That went as expected! :hehe: )

It disconnected me a few times, Uplay does have a habit of just kicking you offline randomly. Also, the game really didn't like me having Chrome and Edge open while I played. It straight up closed Edge down and made plugins on Chrome unresponsive so I ended up closing it and after that it was OK. Discord voice chat was going between green, orange and red constantly too, but having looked at their subreddit they were having issues around that time so it may not be related.

There's not a massive amount of story, as expected, but there are quite a few side missions and you can roam around fighting UNIDAD, driving tractors, etc. whenever you like. I haven't played around too much with the difficulty settings, but from what I have tried they don't make a huge amount of difference. It's either a cake-walk or you get overwhelmed no matter what you're set to. As long as you have a way to take out choppers you should be good in most situations. The worst time we had was when the UNIDAD choppers would just not go away and we only had Assault rifles to take out the pilots.

10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Pretty much agreed with you on that.

It is effectively a giant open world co-op game, with good gun play, reasonable AI and awful car handling... .

The co-op works well, I like the seamless nature of it with the drop in/out on the fly and how it handles the mission system for the sake of co-op / progress. The gun play is tight and bullets have the lethal impact you would expect. It also looks pretty good, especially given how large the map is.

I did, unfortunately experience some disconnects from the uplay/wild lands servers) and beta performance went from good to really bad with no obvious reason why. It also has a lot of what I hate about open world games, that repeat mission structure for side quests, lots of fetch quests for example. There is also the fact that failing any mission seems to have no consequences and can be easily repeated later.

I also don't know if I would buy this on or just after release on the strength of the beta.

11. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

i think i played about 8 hours in total, across the 3 evenings, got to level 9 or something? worked out the skills eventually, and wondered how the hell you are supposed to ride the bike that handles the same on the road as it did on the dirt! also did anyone go cross country in any vehicle? it drove over anything almost a little bit silly but of course its beta, I thought the gunplay was excellent and the unidad lot got angry real quick even in recruit mode

i will probably buy it to replace the division on PC.

met some like minded nutters in random groups which made the experience so much more entertaining than solo.

12. rma

rma Minimodder

Played it solo on the Friday and thought it was disappointingly dull.
    Then, over the weekend, played with the mates I gave keys to and it was awesome fun!

It's definitely not a rambo style game.
    You have to recon the target area, using your drones and binos, mark those targets and use stealth and silencers until it all goes bonkers, reinforcements come in, and you're fighting for your life :)
    Great fun co-op!

Definite buy for me!

13. Hex

Open Beta has been announced:

11:00 GMT Thursday 23rd February - 11:00 GMT Monday 27th February 2017
    (Preloading available from 11:00 GMT Monday 20th February)

Last edited: 17 Feb 2017
  14. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

shiver me timbers!

15. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Cool, looking forward to spending some time with it in the beta :)

16. afrasiab

afrasiab What's a Dremel?

the trailer looks nice and hope that the game itself a good one. Should play it once

17. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Had a little time wit the open beta last night. Not the best start, Ubi had server connection issues for hours. It's a bit of a coin toss as to whether these issue will be present at launch, you could say the beta is for finding and resolving these issues but given Ubisofts history and more recent experiences like The Division, you will forgive me for not having much faith.

Performance has improve significantly, personally my frame rates have nearly doubled in some places, depending on settings used. They have also opened up a huge new section of the map, geographically interesting and different to the first region.
    Vehicle handling has also improved a fair bit but they still don't drive that well, or as you would expect.
    Gunplay is nice and tight and seems to have been further improved but for the love of the sea gods, why did they add a nasty cross hair? it's just not the kind of game where shooting from the hip adds much benefit and adds an unwelcome hud element to an otherwise clean hud.

Still not sure if I like it enough to buy it. It strikes me as the kind of game that's awesome in co-op if your gona play with mates but as an SP game, many of the rinse and repeat fetch quests and 'tagging supplied' will get real old real fast. and the lack of consequence for failing missions makes them feel a but consequential.

I highly recommend giving it a go now it has gone open beta.

18. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Is it going to be released (standard edition) as PC box version or downloadable only?

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Installed the game but cannot play because of a as yet unfixed known issue.

"[PC] Outdated version

Some players are reporting getting an outdated error message when booting the game. We suggest you to remove all previous versions of the game and verify game files. You can also try deleting some other files, such as: events.xml, Uyuni.grw, VersionDescription.ini and NvGsa.x64.dll.

I only had the Uyuni.grw file and removing it made no difference.

[​IMG]

Oh and it updated itself this morning. Ubisoft forums have no answer and I await Ubisoft themselves getting back to me.

20. Hex

:( Good luck with Ubi support, they are the worst support I've ever dealt with.

I think you don't have all the files as some are related to the beta, because YEP this was an issue in the closed and open betas too!

Have you tried anything else? I know in the open beta a friend having this issue uninstalled the game, deleted the GR folder in 'My Games' and then reinstalled and it worked. I've had issues in the past with games hiding on their own in Uplay so I didn't know I had old betas/alphas installed. So check your hidden games just in case.

Other things I've seen as I did a quick google are to make sure it's installed on the C:\ (I hate this with Uplay problem games, I don't want them there!) also if you got the game through Steam, try validating on Steam rather than through Uplay.

All the issues with their games are why I always play Ubi games in alpha/beta phases and never end up buying them. They make shoddy games and have terrible customer support.