News Mirror's Edge PC delayed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 19 Sep 2008.

1. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

+1

2. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

perhaps EA is rethinking securom and is trying to pull it out/get a different form of drm.

3. Skepsis

Skepsis What's a Dremel?

= 2

+1

4. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Lol!!!

P.S. +1

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Just don't bother releasing - that's 0% piracy right there!

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Think of all the money they'll save from those dirty pirates!

7. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

sadly.. I too think piracy in the PC is the cause, its just sad that even people who buy the game legit also has to take that crap reason..

on another note, I really hate people who admit they pirate PC games and complain when releases are delayed because of this (got to let it out, had a number of encounters that were like this)

8. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

fixed :sigh:

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ahh that sucks but anyhow does this game remind anyone else of Break Down on the Xbox ^^

10. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Is is even possible for a game not to be pirated on the PC?

If I were a developer with any aspirations of making money, I would keep a mile away from the PC..

11. HourBeforeDawn

is it possible for a game NOT to be pirated on a console? I think not, you have to remember consoles are no different then a PC and where there is a way there will always be a how.

12. docodine

Yeah, actually.

The games that you actually CAN pirate usually require a modchip of some sort, or a software modification, which 99.9% of users won't do, as it costs money, might damage your console, and can be patched pretty fast.

On the other hand, it's actually EASIER to play a pirated game on the PC, a few clicks to get the torrent, a few clicks to mount the ISO, a clicks to install a crack, and presto.

13. HourBeforeDawn

I will disagree with you there, no mod chip is needed for the Wii, and although its not there yet with the 360 on the xbox they did make a soft mod that didnt require a mod chip, so either way you look at it, it can be done so I take your argument with a grain of salt, again where there is a will there is a way. Think about but not to hard dont want you to hurt yourself, if PC games go away then the people focusing on pirating those will focus on consoles so such slower advancements in console pirating will get accelerated. ;)

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I have to agree with docodine - it's much easier to pirate a PC game imo - there are ways on a console, but that doesn't mean that it's easy. With a torrented PC game it's so simple to get it working, it's just untrue.

Look at the PSP for example - one of the most pirated consoles ever I'd think, but it's not an easy process to get custom firmware on a newer PSP (anything with about v3 firmware or above).

15. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

I do think that over 99% of 360 and PS3 users do not bother with Pirated games on their consoles. Its way too much hassle when you can either borrow a game from your friends, or rent etc instead until you buy. With the Wii... its probably 99.999% who dont bother, due to their audience being grandma's and women LOL!

Also, the game may not turn out to be 'better' on the PC. Whilst it may have better graphics options, we have all seen 'glitchy console ports' that arent worth the dvd they were burned on. A PC version doesnt always mean better, in many proven cases. Take Gears of War for example - a game rated as 'Meh' on the PC - that is if you were one of the people who didnt suffer from all the install/crashes that seemed to plague the game upon its release.

I have a top end PC, but for me the choice is whether to buy (or rent) this now for 360 or PS3. Cant really blame EA for their console first approach to be honest, on a game like this one, the console sales will dwarf the PC version, thanks to the 250,000 people++ who will download it on a torrent and steal it (yes I am assuming that 99% of these people will not buy it after 'trying it out')

16. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

The assumption that piracy causes 0% profits is ludicrous. Even if it were one of the most pirated games, high piracy comes with popularity and sales. Would you turn down a few million dollars because 4x as many people got it for free than bought it? The money is there for the taking...

17. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I think you forgot about the R4 cards and equivalents on the DS

you really can't get any easier than 'copying one file to a micro-sd card' for piracy :p

18. docodine

I didn't say 0 profits, but the amount you make must be substantially less.

Has Steam been cracked yet, or is it still a decent way to fight piracy.

19. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

i always wondered, is it possible to make a form of drm that deletes certain game files/ disables when it detects its security measures being circumvented. it would render the game unplayable by a would be cracker? if a legit customer happens to have done this by "accident" then they can download the files which are linked to an ID or account. i don't know much about cracking and the like but this method seems workable or perhaps it isn't (maybe due to some ridiculous law), which is why its not being implemented in some form.

20. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

It is - they did this for Operation Flashpoint and called it FADE technology. The game detected if it was cracked and would let itself run fine at first. Then, as you played it more, it would break more. Textures would disappear. The rules would bend against you. Pop-up would be extraordinary. Guns and controls wouldn't work. The DRM was very hard to remove.

Unfortunately, the downside was that the game got awful word-of-mouth as a result because all the pirates played the game and then just took it to be a buggy, unfinished mess.

Tags: Add Tags