Rant Sharp LC46SB54U + Sharp Support...

Discussion in 'General' started by DarkLord7854, 14 Nov 2008.

1. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

So I finally managed to install the update, turns out you need a USB drive formated in FAT (not FAT16 or FAT32, just FAT).

Update installed, nothing seems to have changed menu-wise, I load up a game... and it starts blinking to black again. Gah.

Called Sharp.. "Please call back tomorrow, thanks, bye!"

There are no words that come to mind to correctly convey the frustration caused by this situation at this point..

2. HINESerelli

HINESerelli What's a Dremel?

Wow!! and to think customer service was a companies top priority!!. I'm also going to pick up that warranty this Friday, hopefully it's not a waste of money. I had the screen flash once last night which it's only doing it seldomly though but, I'm not going to let it slide since yours started out minor and led up to be more frequent. I'll give Sharp a jingle next Monday since I'll be on vacation. Looks like I'll be taking a joyride to hell for that week then lol. Also, Thank you Dark Lord for freeing up all the info about the problem. I'm hoping I can get straight to the point and possibly not play phone tag as much as you had to before getting this far with them.

3. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Man you have had the worst of luck as of late. First the ebay scammer and now this. I don't think I would have the energy to put up with all of it.

4. DarkLord7854

Np bud, if they say its your xbox or an HDCP issue and stuff, start insisting it's not. If you can, record video of it blinking and how you have everything setup.

You don't know the half of it lol, I do wonder where I find the will to put up with everything at times, just gotta do it :p

A rep called today, asked me if my COAX for cable went through a cable box or direct to TV, not sure how it's related to the blinking issue, he then said he'd call me back within 30mins, and then never called back.

Was planning on calling back but ended up going to the ER before I could, so now we shall see for tomorrow..

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Forgive me for not reading through the whole thing, but is this a common issue?

If it is, why hasn't a class action lawsuit been issued?

6. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Because most Customers simply give up and the guy on the other end of the phone cant do **** about it either as he has strict policies to follow and if his manager is nice to you even that is strictly stuff you should be getting anyway they just refuse at first by company policy.

Best thing you can do about it is return it to shop as faulty so its their problem and they will have to deal with it, they will then go to their distributor who will have easy access to mass rma's.

7. DarkLord7854

Correct, most customers just stop bothering because they get tired of constantly calling the company, so they just give up and the issue is left unresolved and forgotten, because the company is certainly not going to bother calling them back to remind them of the issue(s).

And yes, it's a fairly common issue.

Unfortunately I'm unable to return it to the store, got it at Brandsmart, they have a 0 day return policy. Giving it another week and then going to start talking to my lawyer.

8. DarkLord7854

LOL!

Ok, so I called Sharp back. Here's what they tried to tell me:

The problem might be caused due to the signal from the coax not being strong enough and too scrambled, which could be causing the image dropout/blinking.

Read that over a few times.. I didn't even know what to answer to it.. it left me speechless... mainly because:

a) I don't have the coax plugged in 99% of the time
    b) I never watch cable TV
    c) when I do watch cable TV, there's no problems
    d) the xbox and computer don't go through the coax

Wtf are these guys smoking? Godamn. I think they're taking me for a complete moron.

9. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

have you tried playing xbox without the coax plugged in to the telly? you never know, the cable signal might be tripping the auto-switch circuitry.

10. DarkLord7854

Yea, I almost never have the coax plugged in, it makes no difference that I've seen.

I called them back again, this time they said the TV isn't built to do anything more than watch cable TV through coax :wallbash:

Sigh.

11. Fod

talk to a lawyer about your options. sounds like any form of claim would succeed, tbh.

12. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

You've got to be shitt'n me!

13. DarkLord7854

I'm very tempted by that, it's looking to be an incredibly easy case to pull off at this point. There's a LOT to work with.

That's what I said when the "manager" told me that. Naturally, she told me the models that were "built for gaming and browsing the web" as the ones that are 500-2,000$ more than mine.

What's funny is that, right before she said that, I'd told her I'm tired of being treated like a moron by Sharp reps, to which she replied that I was not being treated as such, and then proceeded to tell me that. Yea.. Ok.

14. kctd

kctd What's a Dremel?

just bought one on Black Friday

I ordered this particular model for $899 on BF at Sears.com.

I thought I did good enough research on this unit, but that was before I encountered this forum.

How common is this problem? I haven't opened up the box yet, so I still can return it for a full refund.

I recently picked up the Aquos lc46d64u at Costco for $999 and absolutely love it. This other one was going to be for my father. I'm guessing the consensus opinion would be to return the LC46sb54u and pay the extra $100 for the Aquos line.

Thoughts?

kctd

15. DarkLord7854

I definitely would if it's only a 100$ difference. As far as I've been able to tell, this problem happens to all LC46SB54U TVs using Component and some do it over HDMI as well (like mine).

Another manager just called me back, they're going to contact me on Monday with details of a new, much higher end (AQUOS) model, set they're
    going to give me as a replacement for my current one.

16. Fod

i wonder how much they're going to want to charge you for that one :rolleyes:

17. DarkLord7854

I asked, the guy said it's at no cost to me, I'll have more info come Monday about the set model, specs, shipping, etc. If they later try to sneak a cost in there I'm going to be pretty pissed off... :grr:

18. HINESerelli

I just may call today, I'm currently documenting all my information ahead of time. I'm hoping this is all I'll need.. I'm no technology guru or anything but this is what I have. The 360 is the only external device hooked to the t.v and I have the component hd av cable on the 360 going straight to input #1 on the t.v. I have the 360 set at 1080p. Both the video and audio cut off completely during game play and comes back on within seconds . I'm hoping that this information will be suitable for them since I currently don't have many cables entering the t.v at all. my setup is fairly simple. Like I said, I'm no genius but, I'm not wanting to state everything you had already Dark Lord since you have already put Sharp to shame with your "Higher" knowledge with you knowing what works with what etc etc.. I'll keep in contact with you of course on my end but, I feel as if I may lack the knowledge of everything they are going to tell me to do and that may be my downfall in the matter.

19. DarkLord7854

If they try and tell you the same bull they tried to tell me, just read up about it and then prove them wrong :p

I would also do the following:

-record video of blinking
    -test out if 1080i settings makes any difference with xbox
    -test if switching to standard res (on the little switch for the AV cables) stops the blinking
    -test your xbox on someone else's TV if possible
    -ask them if there's a firmware update

Be aware that their Dispatch department (they'll redirect you there) is only open Monday through Friday, 9am till 5pm Central time and they generally never call or email you back when they say they will.

20. HINESerelli

"I just had the same problem with my new 42" sharp aquos. I bought it from Sears and they sent out a technician.

The problem is a bad component circuit board. Sharp is aware of the problem and they recommend replacing that circuit board to fix it. Since it is new, it should still be under warranty for a year. Either contact the place you bought it from or Sharp. It should be taken care of.

I hope this helps"

I found this on a gamespot forum and it looks like all of the lines are doing the same thing. Someone else also posted that the 52' they have is doing it as well and it's a Sharp.. go figure.. Here is the link http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26644283

Last edited: 8 Dec 2008