News Activision: "We may have to stop supporting Sony"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Jun 2009.

1. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

PC gaming isn't necessarily "better" than console gaming. Are you intentionally trying to wind people up with that statement? Hehe.

On the off-chance that you're being serious, I put it to you that console gaming, on the whole, is:

- cheaper (unless you want to bill me for my TV, my sofa, and, you know, my living room)
    - more reliable
    - more compatible
    - more comfortable
    - blessed by more exclusive titles
    - blessed by titles released months before the PC versions

Of course there are counter-arguments, and I'd freely make them, having been a PC gamer for years. But this is just to disprove your assertion that PC gaming is so obviously superior.

2. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

PC gaming is superior, mainly due to the Hardware upgrades....
    Games are made for Windows, MS, so they are also compatible on every platform.
    x86 is a standard....remember ?

I can't stand Joypads, haven't used one since the Amstrad ( a joystick in fact) and even then preferred QAOP and Space.
    Now we have Mice too ;)

Not all console games are released months before the PC versions, but I don't mind waiting a bit for them to come out with something good than rushed to get to the exclusive availability date...

I have no consoles.

Each to their own I guess.

3. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Looks like overracting to me. I could see if the PS3 had half the user base of the Xbox but it doesn't. Some of Activisions strongest games tend to target Western audiences, who tend to favor the Xbox over PS3. Nothing wrong with that, but I can't see how 3 million sales of CoD4 turns them off to the PS3.

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

If you read the times article I think you'll see the reasoning for the whining, its not really much to do with the PS3 costs etc, they are just an excuse, instead it is in fact about the royalties, this is a bullyboy tactic, threaten to drop support because 'ooh its PS3, its hard' (lets forget most of the engine work is all in place from the first titles, that investment has already been done ) in the hope that Sony come back and offer slightly lower royalties prior to the release of their next multimillion PS3 seller CODMW2.

5. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

I say no to format wars :)

I know you did not start this, but I just wanted to politely touch on some points you made:

1) "more reliable"? It depends on your experience. I personally haven't found PC games to be less reliable than console games.

2) "blessed by more exclusives"? it depends on whether the individual person has any interest in those exclusives.

Also, the fact that Microsoft, for example, consider exclusive titles to be so important is because consoles have a fundamentally 'failed' business model which relies on FORCING an extremely high rate of sales in order to stop the company from losing money on the hardware and then, at least, breaking even after many years after release. By the time of breaking even, the console hardware is outdated and poor compared to PC hardware. Look at Sony talking about how they want a ten year life cycle for the PS3 before a new console is released. Are they joking???!! Look at Microsoft's Halo titles and how they are so reluctant to release on PC, which means that many PC Halo fans are FORCED into buying the game on console because they don't want to wait any longer even though they prefer to have the game on PC.

3) blessed by titles released months before the PC versions? This is rare. The worst case would be the Halo example above. In some cases the short wait is worth it in the end, in terms of quality. However, most PC multiplatform games are released at the same time as the console versions.

4) quote: "unless you want to bill me for my TV, my sofa, and, you know, my living room"
    This implies that only consoles are situated in living rooms and used from a sofa and connected to a TV.

i have experience of console and PC gaming in the living room via the same TV, so I can 'objectively' measure the quality differences between multiplatform games. For me PC wins everytime.

6. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

The irony of this idea is that Guitar Hero and Call of Duty most certainly have the sales power to still be lucrative on the PS3. So even if Activision did officially stop PS3 development for most of their titles, I'm sure those two would be the exception.

In general though, the sentiment is correct. Sony has to stop marketing the PS3 (and pricing it) as if it were the still the #1 top dog. They are at a distinct disadvantage compared to the 360 at the moment and need to start acting accordingly.

7. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

I thought it was the pc gaming market that was going down. This is just the most recent example of how the pc market is the only one who is truly stable and worth investing in. Could you imagine a pc game company saying computers are too expensive and we are not going to support them anymore. But it is reasonable for a developer to drop a console because they think sales are too low,

8. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

Thank you, I would have made similar counter-arguments. My point was not to settle the score, it was simply to demonstrate that the matter is entirely down to personal preference and experience, and that by no measure was it objectively, scientifically, and beyond-all-reasonable-doubt obvious that PC gaming is "better" as ssj12 claimed. Judging by my very selective quote from your post, I'd say that you agree.

9. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

agreed :)

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

PC developers don't whinge about money and cost, but they do whinge about piracy. Just look at Epic and Crytek's shift towards console centric development.

11. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

I would love to know if we (PCowners/Consoleowners/ITworkers/Techheads/whatever) are the most opinionated people on the planet or is there another group that out-does us?

;)

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

there are certainly none that can expose their opinion as much as we can thanks to the internetZ and the way we exploit it. It's not always a good thing however

13. i7lova

i7lova What's a Dremel?

Dude so are you a PS3 Fanboy or a PC Fanboy please explain. Jesus you have about twice as many posts in this one section as anyone else does. Why the hell are you defending Sony so much? Do you work for them or something? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion however we don't need the same dipsh*t explaining to us a million different ways why Sony is superior. We get your point now move the f*ck on please! Oh and for my 2 cents on the subject I owned a PS3 for about 3 months before selling it. Didn't like the way the controller felt in my hand and didn't like the games available. Not to mention none of my friends had one because they all had 360's so I couldnt play with any friends online either. Just wasnt a very good experience for me.

14. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

On a cheaper point, A general trend ive found is that pc games are cheaper than most console counter parts. I got far cry 2 for £10 while it was £35+ on consoles, mass effect was only £3 (god rest zavvi) while still £20 at cheapest. Although I dont have it L4D is also a good £5 cheaper for pc.

While I agree that pc gaming is superior both in looks and cost, I just wish it could cater for when mates come round. Consols are great in that sense. The only reason im here posting this is casue fallout 3 crashed for the 5th time today and recently other games have started doing the same in sympathy. Pc gaming really is a love hate thing but im willing to stay commited to it.

back to the topic, its a shame if they do. I was looking at getting a console for those summer nights friends are over but why get a consol that developers are dropping. Valve make great games but alone isn't ground breaking enough to effect my decision, activison on the other hand does make me take a double take. ATM I would still consider ps3 but not get one there is a small reduction (price is solid tho IMO but less is always better), guarnenteed future support from developers and more of my friends get one (most are xbox gamers).

15. RedDethX

RedDethX What's a Dremel?

TBH, the 10 year life cycle doesn't mean that there won't be a new console. Microsoft said the same for the Xbox 360, till 2015, it just means it'll be supported till then, just like how the PS3 was released during the 6th year in the PS2's 10 year life cycle.

16. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

remember when song said people would get second jobs to afford a ps3... Yeah, they aren't doing that LOL

17. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

hmm. I absolutly sure politics-science, lawyers, law-school goers takes the cake:p

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

what I wish is that MS release a 360 with a blu-ray drive that would be a nice excuse to pick that up lol but that Natal thing if its all that its cracked up to be will probably be another nail in the PS3 coffin as that will grab me to go 360 over PS3 if it works as well as it looks

19. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Politics and Religion.

And possibly pro-sports.

(You tell me you soccer fans. ;) )

EDIT: @HourBeforeDawn -- Yeah, after the end of the format wars, Microsoft really should have jumped on BluRay. Especially by now. I'm sure it will obsolete DVD's in the next 4 to 5 years.

OFFTOPIC: I legally own like 90 movies and a few TV series.
    A) Do all BluRay players play DVD?
    B) Is there a hassle-free legal way to rip and reburn my DVD's to BluRay
    C) Is AnyDVD legal if you aren't using it to burn pirated media?

20. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

HMMMMM.. i can talk about football (soccer) all day long!!! EL DEPORTE MAS BELLO DEL MUNDOOO!!!!

Tags: Add Tags