Case Mod - In Progress Project: Mission

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 30 Jun 2009.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Catch on fire. LOL! Only if their house is on fire first! :naughty:

2. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

At one time I preferred Gizmodo over Engadget. Gizmodo decided to paas on doing a Mission story. At about that same time they published an article about the new, exciting Hello Kitty computer. Apparently they have decided that their readership preferred Hellp Kitty over Mission. I have decided to prefer Engadget over Gizmodo.

Here's to you Gizmodo (insert obscene hand gesture appropriate for your part of the world)

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You need to build one with a propane flamethrower in the top someday. Every time you hear someone go into the fire tirade at a show, you could hit the remote and scare the piss out of them.:hehe:

4. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Nah. I wouldn't want to disrupt this never-ending source of quality entertainment. I had one person comment elsewhere that my GTX 280 was overkill for a HTPC. Apparently being able to play Crysis is now a liability.

5. Casefan

Casefan One Man Army

This look brilliant. :0

6. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Haha! this will never end! Nothing like cheap entertainment.

7. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

The Cooler Master contest has really turned into a cluster fcuk. The top three contenders (all from the Phillipines) have been disqualified for "excessive promotion". Cooler Master insisted on having a popular vote contest and even lifted their "10 quality posts" rule for new members to vote. They even encouraged what they call "self promotion". At the last minute they came out with a rule against excessive promotions. As you can guess, anarchy ensued.

Top that off with the fact that anyone can register to vote using fake info. The e-mail addresses are not confirmed (Mod Shop anyone?).

Paul (coolmeister) was smart to pull out before the contest began. I wish I had done the same. Actually, I thought it was pretty funny watching all the highly predictable chaos but when they threw out the Filipinos (who broke no rules) then it just got sad. They even locked down all the forum threads to prevent discussion.

Here's some new photos so it won't seem like I'm off topic. I had neglected to photograph the veneer work applied to the bottom of the rails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I call this the Emperor's New Clothes version.

Thanks for looking and I apologize for the rant.

8. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Sucks about the comp mate but the mod is looking as good as ever :thumb:.

9. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I knew the contest was going to be a joke. ALL popular vote case mod contests are a joke but I never thought it could get this bad.

The Cosmos VX project here at BT was one of the projects involved in the controversy. I've noticed that it is now gone...completely. Yesterday it was the Top Project on the front page. What's up with that?

Edit: ...and then magically re-appears.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2009
  10. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I thought the contest would be a joke when I emailed CM about using my ATCS 620 and they said I had to make enough changes so nobody could tell it was a CM(?). No loss, I still have an uncut case. Probably my last CM case anyway.

john

11. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Of course, now that Mission has won the Cooler Master contest I have declared it The Greatest Contest Ever. :hehe: But seriously, I feel good about the victory mainly because I won a popularity contest without pimping the vote. I was so determined to keep my votes "clean" I wouldn't let my wife vote.

Fun fact about the contest. A project log was required to be posted in Cooler Master's forums but they had strict rules about pimping sponsors. In the background of many of my photos you might see Silverstone products and packaging that "accidentally" got in the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, Mission is getting an Intel Core i7-920 CPU and DX58SO motherboard upgrade so that should be fun.

Also, thanks to all who voted for Mission in the August MOTM contest. :thumb:

12. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Congrats on the win mate, a very deserving winner. However, I heard a lot of bad things about the contest and now I dunno if I will be purchasing any Cooler Master products, Antec make better PSUs anyway :D lol.

13. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

It was a mess for sure. I don't think they did anything right. Maybe they could be excused if they were noobies at holding contests but they have been doing this for a while now. But...there are so few contests anymore so I feel hesitant to criticize them too much. Better than no contest at all.

I pointed out to them how Intel holds a contest. They have a judged main event AND a People's Choice popularity contest on the side. Smart.

14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Yeah, I followed/voted in that contest but it seemed like a mess from the get-go.

Ah well, at least you get some fun kit! :D

15. mat2001uk

mat2001uk What's a Dremel?

I just have to say, only found this site today, and literally All I have looked at are your works of Art slipperyskip (I should really say Mr Skip). I have been toying with the idea of a computer case for a few years now, but nothing like the imaginiteveness and inventiveness you show!
    First I wanted a basic tower, but with a roll-top desk side to it in case you wanted to get in and fiddle with the insides. Literally yesterday I decided that what I actually wanted was a desk (Oak has always been my favourite wood), but with the computer in-built to one of the pillars. Then I come across this thread and, well, I just had to post my most sincere thanks and appreciation.

Regards, Matt

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Wow. First post!
    Welcome to Bit-Tech.

-and congrats to SS on the contest, and popping some forum cherry.:D

17. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Matt and welcome to bit-tech! I hope we have inspired you to build something and post it here.

Thanks Cheaps!

18. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

The Intel case mod contest is on. It looks like Mission is a finalist.

I have made an optical drive cover for it. Basically, just a piece of black walnut with a frame around it. The frame is painted raw umber after flat black failed miserably. The chrome button works the eject button. Duh.

I also went with the more conservative almond slate panels this time instead of the red ones.

To see all the contestants visit HERE

[​IMG]

Jipa likes this.
  19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

THANK YOU! Thanks for hiding the damn DVD-drive! Now it's purrrrfect ;)

Javerh likes this.
  20. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I just got tired of hearing it. :hehe:

Here are the wide shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]