Case Mod - In Progress Project: Mission

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 30 Jun 2009.

1. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Aesthetics is a judgment of personal sentiment and taste. Some see this as a piece of furniture with an aesthetically ugly blemish. I see it as a computer with a aesthetically pleasing cover. Apples and oranges.

A "bonus" photo...

[​IMG]

My smallest and largest. I've been looking forward to shooting this photo for some time. Yes...that is an exposed face of a DVD drive in the side of the G-Metric Nano.

At CES 2008 I displayed both the G-Metric Nano and Pico Bayard side-by-side. The Pico is a fully stealthed computer that looks like a digital photo frame. The first day of the show I decided it would be cool if I ran a continuous slideshow on it showing colorful pictures and sponsor logos. Despite this, most of the crowd's attention went to the G-Metric.

The second day I decided to nix the slideshow and instead display the classic XP background, You know, the green rolling hills and blue sky. The crowd went nuts over it.

2. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Brian!

I'd be in a different category than you if you ever decided to enter. I'm the one who's glad. There's still time but I suspect that Ion thing has you a tad bit busy these days. :hehe: Can't wait to see how that all turns out.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2009
  3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I'll tell you what I think once I'm done drooling, kk?

4. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

:hehe: Maybe you should stop staring at the stoner version or are we going to have to do an intervention?

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Oh no! An intervention!

I'm scared now. :worried:

6. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

I'm sorry if i upset you, i still maintain that this is a fabulous piece of craftsmanship.
    All the woodwork is exquisite and it looks great.

This is your build, so you can not listen to us and keep it as you like it! :thumb:

It is still awesome!!

7. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I'm sorry if I come off sounding upset. I'm all for spirited debate and constructive criticism. Sometimes I think this place is a little too civilized. There isn't much to be learned from insincere feedback.

Thanks for your participation and for expressing your opinion.

8. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

It's all done? Wow, I always enjoyed dropping in here daily and looking at the updates and reading the comments... I'm going to be a little lost now... :D

Outstanding work! I love the style, I love the workmanship, and I love the end result! I can't wait to see what's next!

9. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

Well done, a very classy build.
    Looks stunning.

10. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I love that mod cause its so elegant so unique and beautiful! Good job my friend cant wait to see more from u!!!

11. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Make sure and let us know how and where to vote for you in the contest, if they are in fact opening it up to public voting. :)

Yeah, I am kinda swamped as of late, so there is no way I could enter another contest right now. It's all good tho. I don't have any more CM cases left anyways lol.

12. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Craig! I work fast so don't blink. LOL It's CES project time but I don't know about this year. Tough times all over.

Thank you!

Thanks! I appreciate that.

Too many bit-tech people in that contest to break out the pimp cane. I believe proper etiquette requires that I remain silent on this subject. :D

13. Spotswood

Spotswood Custom PC case builder

Mahogany and chrome. :jawdrop:

Man, gotta love wooden case/mods. :rolleyes:

Excellent workmanship!

14. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks! :thumb:

Actually, it is American black walnut. If it had been my decision it would of been mahogany. The wife wanted walnut.

Mahogany is so much easier to work with. Walnut is brittle and hard. Think of walnut as being steel and mahogany as aluminum.

15. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

You ever have trouble with black walnut drying unevenly and cracking? My brother and I did a bunch of rifle stock blanks several years ago from a tree we harvested and we had a lot of cracks.

john

16. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I can imagine thicker planks having issues. This 1/32" stuff isn't so bad. Kinda like a tough steak. It is not so bad if you slice it thin. :p

I actually dropped the walnut frame for the upper grill onto a ceramic tile floor and it survived without any sign of damage. Walnut is some serious stuff.

17. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Just spotted this.

18. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Haha i see that engadget still has its share of "wooden pc will burn house!!".

I thought humanity was cured of these guys?

Ah well. don't mind them, this is great work and we all know it!
    They just didn't bother to read the link for the full story before saying that it will overheat because of the materials.

:edit:

Can't help but notice that they like the stoner version too! :thumb:

19. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

The comments are always funny to read. The "It'll catch on fire" guys are really having fun with it. Morons.

Web sites like Engadget generally won't write about things unless they are for sale. They say people aren't interested in reading about stuff they can't buy. I say they're FOS. What I do is "adjust the facts" a little so it looks like a marketable product. Once it's published I go back into my website and put things back.

F'em for being stupid.

20. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Personally I'd feel violated that they'd even been to your site Jeffrey! :hehe: