Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

20 actually; plenty old enough for me.. :baby:

2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Just watched Skyline. 4/10 sadly imho. :(

Whilst sitting there thinking that the CGI and action scenes are pretty awesome i got to the end of the film thinking that they had forgotten their own plot halfway through.

Sometimes awesome action can make a movie worthwhile (see Expendables) but this is just wha? huh? eh?

EDIT: also watched Inception yesterday which was actually really good despite Di Caprio. easily a 7.5/10. Nicely paced and very engaging.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Nope. She's 20. Perfectly legal ;)

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Salt. Is there a rating lower than 0/10?

The premise felt like a bad Tom Clancy novel, of which there are arguably quite a few, and the acting.

Oh god the acting. It was so hideously unbelievable I've never been so sickened by a film in my entire film watching career, and I've seen some pretty **** films (Tomb Raider Ascension (fan made), Plague Town etcetera).

Jolie wasn't even the slightest bit believable, and the characters were "established" with little to no reason for us, the audience, to like them. Jolie starts the film being outed as a liar, her husband seems like a nice guy at first, but then disappears until he's required as a plot driver, the dramatic twist from Jolies start point to the stage where she sort of does what she's told someone is going to do is never explained, nor does it make any sense that it would be so. The change of heart the character suffers during the film - Although it's never cleared that she had decided to do that from the off - is utterly bizarre and never really makes sense.

99% of her escape scenes are roughly equivalent to the stench of ******** mixed with a dose of Macgyver and the A-Team, but not nearly as good.

To top it all off, Jolie doesn't even get her kit off for more than the few seconds at the start of the film.

5. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

The new Harry Potter.
    5/10 imo.
    The other half insists its a good film but has advised me I need to read the books though to make it make sense/support the story. In that respect its not a very good movie then is it?

Inception
    6/10
    Over-hyped and frankly I found it a dull, though the idea was good.
    Maybe had I gone and seen it with no expectations of it being any good, I would have enjoyed it.

Expendables
    3/10
    Utter crap. I have no idea why people even like this film, the action scenes weren't even much good!
    Given a 3 just because of the line-up.

6. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Despicable Me
    8/10
    It's a good film, I enjoyed it a lot! Made me laugh as well. Seemed a bit short though...

Toy Story 3
    9/10
    ******* film, made me cry... It's odd, really good film, Tom Hanks is awesome. Still prefer the first film though :p

7. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Have you seen the older movies at least? If not, then I'm afraid you have only yourself to blame.
    Also, the movies were made to take advantage of fans of the books, so again, you can't really blame them.

I'm not saying it was a great movie (it wasn't) just that your criticism of it is a little off.

8. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I have seen the ones before it yes. But if the film NEEDs you to read the book to understand the content properly or in the right context (some of the scenes appear totally pointless other wise, like the wedding scene), then it doesn't work well as a stand-alone entity imo.

9. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Wasn't the Bill+Fleur wedding mentioned in the 6th movie?

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:clap::clap: Glad someone else feels the same.

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

had the honor of seeing salt in the theater too.. she had that look like she was a soccer mom getting ready to put her kids in the van the whole movie

12. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

watched Avatar on blu ray this week.. regardless of the critics I liked it .. I liked it a whole bunch more in high definition

13. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I watched running scared, few years old but still think it's an awesome movie. Good action movie.

14. Kyndylan

Kyndylan What's a Dremel?

Hmm, I watched Speed again a couple of days ago, more to try and persuade my wife that action films can be entertaining. She enjoyed it, so mission accomplished!

15. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Saw Toy Story 3 on saturday. Really good and funny movie. :rock:

16. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Seeing Monsters tonight, anybody else seen it? There's been mixed reviews..

Saw Machete last week, IT WAS AMAZING. Also, Jessica Alba + Michelle Rodriguez (not looking butch for once!) + Lindsay Lohan. Yum.

Bought Splice last week too, I'm disturbed now. Inter-species rape, eurgh.

17. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Napapiirin Sankarit 7/10.

I wasn't too excited about the film as I expected it to be a pretty idiotic action comedy... Turns out it was exactly that, but in a likable way. Had a few good pints (few good, not good few, mind) before the film and it really worked. The film makes fun of people up north, and after living up there for 20 years, I can tell it does a good job :)

Pretty irrelevant for most, I'm sure, but for me it was worth seeing.

18. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Watched Jonah Hex yesterday

Megan Fox made the movie worse :(

19. October

October Mariachi Style

I'll be seeing Monsters on tuesday, haven't seen a single bad review for it yet :confused:

+1 about Michelle Rodriquez in Machete...

London Boulevard - one to miss.

Watched Batman Begins again last night, it's amazing how much more comic-booky it is compared to TDK. Bring on Rises...

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Saw "Monsters" last week, enjoyed it a great deal. It's not a crazy monster-blasting romp, it's more like a road movie. I loved it anyway.

Would've loved to see Machete, but the closest place it's on is Manchester, just a bit too far for cinema going. :(