Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. October

October Mariachi Style

It says that some portions were filmed in 2d intentionally but not to remove the glasses - presumably so you don't miss parts taking them on or off, or notice how much brightness you lose with them.

Either way I need to go see it again, was far too tired on Sunday, only saw about half an hour :duh:

2. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Watched the JJ Abrams Star Trek film again last night on the old BluRay. Simply a brillaint film, with a great cast, special effects, interesting enough story and a complete game changer in the Star Trek universe.

Bit that always gives me tingles is the part where Spock is flying the red matter ship towards Nero's ship and the line "Captain, I've picked up another ship" cue the Enterprise!

On a side note, the outake involving Spock and Kirk speaking in Irish is bloody marvelous.

3. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

Saw TRON: Legacy in IMAX3D on Saturday last week. Personally, it was good/very good. The storyline is sort of complicated but I managed to get the hang of it. Half the film was in 2D which meant the eyes could have a rest before the 3D tortured them once more.

It was awesome to see Daft Punk in the movie (They're the DJs), even if they didn't say anything and 'Derezzed' was awesome.

Overall, I enjoyed TRON, it bordered on Awesome but the fact they used a Amateur Director who didn't have a lot of credentials (even if he does know a thing or two about tech) sort of ruined it as well as the fact the Storyline was heading towards the confusing pile.

4. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Saw American History X. Great film, sub-par Blu-Ray. All the sound seemed to be going to the right of the speakers (I use 5.1 headphones), and very basic background noise out of the left. My headphones were all correct before anyone asks.

5. Xir

Xir Modder

Couples Retreat (or is it called Couples Resort?) Has a different name in Germany anyway.Mwah...just Mwah. Bit boring, very stereotypic, very american, a few great laughs (though probably not where the director intended)

6. Pughy

Pughy Fancy a game of Starcraft?

The latest movie I watched was 'Into The Wild'. What an epic movie, really worth watching :)

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I hear Clooney's in the frame for a "Man from U.N.C.L.E." movie.

8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Just saw TRON Legacy.

It was suprisingly good, especially the action scenes. The music was good too, well done Daft Punk!

9. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

The Watchmen

9/10

I've never read the book/comic/graphic novel, so I can draw no conclusions there, but I thought it was an exceptionally well-done film. Very high brow really, especially towards the end- makes you think about things and put them into perspective ( lesser of 2 evils etc ).

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Easy A

8/10

Not the funniest movie I saw but never boring. Good entertainment and... as usual, any movie involving Emma Stone or Zooey Deschanel scores minimum 8 points out of 10 :D

11. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Machete

9/10

This is clearly a film that doesnt take itself too seriously despite the rather pertinent message/ undertone regarding immigration ( in America ). Some of the effects were a little naff but it didnt have the biggest budget ever- so many great actors and actresses though that it was more than enjoyable, it was a great laugh with some truelly LOL moments and the pace never slowed down much for me. Also, LiLo's boobs are epic, love that girl even if she is a bit mental. :D

12. dark-matter

dark-matter What's a Dremel?

them

True classic that along with other B movies will never be bettered.!?
    :thumb:

13. dark-matter

dark-matter What's a Dremel?

monsters

It is a road movie romance with a sub plot about aliens stalking the forest.
    The characters i felt were unlikeable,i did not care what happened to them.Nothing about the movie is truly memoreable,so a few weeks after viewing i feel like my pocket was picked,!!:yawn::yawn:

14. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Saw TRON on thursday. Was pretty good.

15. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Machete

Awesome, just awesome.
    I'm usually not a fan of the totally-over-the-top action movies. I didn't like planet terror one bit, but I loved every damn second of Machete! And a great cast too, respect for casting Steven Segal!

16. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

DONNIE DARKO.
    10/10

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Back the Future Pt 1, in HD.

Brilliant! I'd forgotten how great the script is, but OH MY GOD the effects and make-up on Doc Brown has aged baaadly! Well worth seeing again if you've forgotten about B2TF series though.

9/10

Despicable Me.

Enjoyed it more than I thought, despite the fact I lament Steve Carell for doing yet another "funny man does voice acting" gig. Still, it's no Pixar.

6/10

Family Guy: It's a TRAP! (Star Wars Ep3 parody)

Again, humorous and better than I expected but not LOL funny. Easy watching. Best bits ripping into Seth Green and the intro text, as well as making the Ewoks into real animals rather than cute bears. 7/10

Robot Chicken SW Ep3 Parody

Much the same as above, but for different reasons 7/10

Letters to Juilet

OK, it's a romantic chick flick, but that still doesn't excuse the PITIFUL stereotypes: "Oh, I'm British, I'm hideously arrogant, have an Oxfordian accent and lots of money". "Oh my Italian boy, I'm very passionate and do things in the heat of the moment". "Oh, I'm a blonde New York girl with a career on the up, I'm so well balanced, strong and beautiful but fragile.." "Oh, we're old Italian men and we're all single, welcoming and live in rusticly romantic old houses".

Get. the. ****. out. It tries to scoop emotional depth out of puddles.

Interesting premise, let down by the rest of the movie. 2/10

18. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

The script is utter genius. An all time great film without a doubt!

19. Xir

Xir Modder

Brilliant! :thumb:
    Wonder why the "Avengers" remake with Uma Thurman never got a sequel

20. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Rare Exports 8/10

First of all.... WTF?

In the good way.

Can't really even begin to explain what on earth the movie is all about. It's just Finnish, very strange and I liked it :)