Other Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 6 Dec 2017.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I read as more "Billionaire manipulates market at the cost of others. Again"

Of course, there are plenty of Musk acolytes who will see this as a purely altruistic act, for the good of the environment. Elon wouldn't stoop so low as to profit from the hit in bitcoin's value caused by him. Oooh, no - shudder to think.

bawjaws likes this.
  2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

[​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist:p

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

The thing with cryptocurrencies at the moment is that both of these types of graphs are real potentials, but over the course of days/hours rather as opposed to 150 years. If Musk can do that with a tweet, imagine the Chinese or US government suddenly deciding to completely change the field of play.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

The crypto free fall continues

5. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Bitcoin and Eth in large sell-off this morning down 30% for Eth! Stay safe out there!

6. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

So may be a good time to buy while cheap? Or has the arse fallen out the market?

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If I could answer that, I'd be a millionaire.

yuusou, BeauchN, David and 2 others like this.
  8. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

ooff someone i know invested a good portion of his saving into bitcoin in may. i remember telling to be careful and maybe not get involved at all. poor bugger got swept in all the hype about crypto in his workplace

9. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Madness. I pulled 3k out at the end of last March ... because i was skint ...im an idiot. But now , im not skint and considering buying into the dip. Ill be keeping an eye on it very close to see if its going into a bear market or if its just a massive correction from the last 12 months . Bitcoins going nowhere. Its just whether its going up or down .. who knows.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Price will recover, maybe not this month but most experts see Bitcoin above £100k still this year

11. David

Ok, so who else recently got into mining to mitigate the cost of their overpriced GPU purchase and kinda got hooked?

Spraduke and Goatee like this.
  12. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Not that I use NiceHash but just saw this:

https://www.nicehash.com/blog/post/update-on-withdrawal-situation

Suspicious timing given I suspect a lot of people chose to withdraw in order to sell yesterday. Wonder if they have a bitcoin liquidity issue at Nicehash? Tin foil hat stuff I know but maybe don't accumulate large amounts if using it to be on the safe side (i.e. cash out to FIAT or your own wallet)

13. el2k

el2k Modder

I've been mining ETH since the release of the 3x series, wont say how much MH/s I'm at currently because don't want "gamers" to be mad at me, but I rarely game anymore and "mining" has kinda become my new hobby...
    I find it quite a bit more interesting than I thought I would.

Spanky, David and Goatee like this.
  14. David

Yeah - that's not the first time they've limited withdrawals in the mere 2 months I've been with them. I bail out to Coinbase periodically, but I really ought to look at a hard wallet.

15. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I'm tempted between a Ledger Nano S and a Trezor One.

Any thoughts?

David likes this.
  16. David

Meh, let the hate wash over you, bud.

OK, I'll fess up - I spent £3000 on two 3090 FE cards. One off a mate at a slightly inflated price and one at MSRP at Scan. My goal was to get a cheap(ish) highend card, so I've just sold one of them to CEX of all places, for £2080 - I received the BT an hour ago - yeah, I could get more elsewhere but this was easy and fast and I'm happy.

Between the sale of the 3090 and my old card plus a couple of months of mining, I have a "free" 3090 FE, a zero balance on the credit card and a few hundred quid spare.

Mission accomplished.

I'll still mine on my remaining 3090, of course, but I won't be building a farm.

People want to hate me for that? Fine, let em.

No idea yet, Ben - I don't know the first thing about them, yet, but that's two names I'll be googling tonight!

Last edited: 20 May 2021
    wyx087, el2k and Goatee like this.
  17. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I wonder if @Gareth Halfacree has views on this, I remember he posted up some single use ledgers previously in the MP.

David likes this.
  18. el2k

el2k Modder

See that's the thing, When you explain it like that, you'd be a fool not to mine on your current card and get it for essentially "free" and then also make a quick quid or two on the side when not using the PC.

It almost baffles me that people spend thousands of pounds on PC parts and they could be sat unused for maybe 3/4 of the day every day.

I just got a little more into it, and interested by it.. so ended up setting up a rig.. or two. But it's turning in to a fun hobby, to research and keep myself busy looking at new coins to mine come July and changes in the market daily. it's very easy to become fully immersed.

19. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I'm interested in your thinking on options, assuming ETH becomes less profitable.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've got a Ledger Nano S, and it works fine. It's a bit of a faff if you've multiple currencies, as it only has a small amount of space so you have to uninstall the app for one coin to make room for another, but if you're only doing Bitcoin, Eth, and one or two others you'll be grand.

Never used a Trezor, but I've heard good things there too.

I've also played with the Coinkite ColdCard and OpenDime. They're both rubbish, and the guy who runs the company is a right knobber. Avoid.

On the mining front, I stopped after my first payout. It worked well enough, but I didn't like leaving my desktop on all the time *and* it dragged the performance down in certain apps. LibreOffice Writer was particularly impacted.