Other Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 6 Dec 2017.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Yeah..... I want as low payout minimum as possible. It's been over 2 months since I last hit payout minimum, it's going to be very close to get a payout before their fees kick in due to the lack of sun in winter months.

If it's going to be largely similar to other mining methods. I'll continue to use them because I've already got everything set-up.

2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Out of curiosity, how did you determine when you are generating excess solar? I tried to use my inverter's control panel but found it kept timing out on me. The smart meter would be ideal (already gives me export figures) but my research implied that smart meters dont really have an open API. I'm very much an amateur coder so advanced code is a bit beyond me.

3. wyx087

I have an old Pi running EmonCMS: https://openenergymonitor.org/
    Using these CT clamps and voltage sensor: https://lechacal.com/wiki/index.php/Raspberrypi_Current_and_Temperature_Sensor_Adaptor
    Calibrated the CT clamp reading against my smart meter.

EmonCMS have multiple ways of sharing its data. I use the Home Assistant EmonCMS integration for an automation to turn on my PC via WoL when there's excess solar and computer is off.

Once computer is on, I have a little helper program to listen for MQTT messages from EmonCMS and start/stop and set GPU power limit accordingly. (127 to 140w, it's most efficient at 127, hashrate drops off a cliff any lower. 140w because power is free and it would give some headroom for video encoding or other work I put on the GPU. Not too high so summer months won't stress the GPU)

This is the badly written helper program: https://github.com/wyx087/solar-mqtt
    It started its life on a Pi logging solar production when I had OWL Intuition monitor many many years ago (solar_mqtt.c). You'd be interested in the pc.c file, starting around line 313, which was initially written for start/stop BOINC before I got on the Crypto mining train in 2018.

Although smart meter have the export power data, they don't give us those data. You need a CAD (Consumer Access Device) to get energy data (not power). My Bulb smart meter home display count as a CAD and I use a Samsung SmartThings service to grab the data and feed into Home Assistant. But that's only updated every ~ half hour over the internet. Whereas the CT clamp sensors I use updates every 30s and doesn't rely on internet cloud services.

Spraduke likes this.
  4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

2 months to hit minimum payout,on nicehash?

Minimum payout is currently about £20.

5. wyx087

Yeah, blame the clouds. Some days zero mining gets done because there just isn't any sunshine. Over last 7 days, only mined a grand total of 1 hour and a bit.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I see. I can understand the reluctance at NH fees.

wyx087 likes this.
  7. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I've just accepted that the cost of electric is covered by the mining and if its sunny then my cost to mine is 0. At the moment its also my office heating which means I don't hit the gas central heating as much so don't feel guilty about running on cloudy days.

wyx087 and Arboreal like this.
  8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

T-rex has a 1% dev fee and while Nanopool will allow you to set your payout to 0.05 ETH, you'd see some of that gobbled up by high fees (150 gwei) on anything below 0.6 according to their most recent tweet.

I recently took a 0.21 ETH payout and their fees cost me a tenner.

wyx087 likes this.
  9. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Quick question for Coinbase users. When selecting the "Receive" part for a Bitcoin wallet I notice that the address seems to change frequently. To me this implies that the wallet address isn't static to my account. This makes me nervy about transfering funds from Nicehash to CB now that the accounts themeselves aren't linked and you manually provide an address. Does anyone know how CB deals with address and linking them to my account? I appreciate the coins aren't really under my control without my own soft/hard wallet but for the smallish amounts I have the ease of use of CB is great.

Edit: Nevermind. Found this:

https://help.coinbase.com/en/coinba...data-privacy/why-did-my-crypto-address-change

TLDR: Addresses are randomised to avoid being traced but all are linked to your CB account.

wyx087 and MLyons like this.