Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The only full-sized one i can see that is readily available seems to be the One2 / One3...

nvm google is just trash...

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You probably know this, but worth warning that any mechanical keyboard, even one with non-clicky and non-tactile linear switches, is going to make more noise than a membrane keyboard. If you're in an office environment then unless you work with a bunch of nerds*, it's unlikely that the average person is going to know care whether it's a really noisy tactile switch or a linear one - all they're going to hear is "that clacking f'er over in the corner". Of course this depends on the environment you're going to be using it in, and how irritable the people around you are.

*I was that nerd in work the other week. Sat at my desk, catching up with someone, oblivious to my surroundings, and I hear the distinct "thock" of mechanical keyboard switches. Didn't even see the guy come in to the office or get the keyboard out, but you know that sound when you hear it. My immediate reaction was to say "ooh, someone's got a board with linear switches" - didn't mean to say it out loud, just blurted it out without thinking. The typing stops and the owner stands up and replies with "oh my god, you bloody nerd!"

Yeah, I know, "cool story bro" and all that. Look, you didn't have to read this footnote - you could have happily lived the rest of your life in blissful ignorance, so don't come bitching to me because you're not interested in my mildly amusing anecdote.

4. RedFlames

Cool story bro! :thumb:

As for the noise... whilst i don;t live alone so there will be people moaning if its too loud... it will be used at home... I'm also rather a heavy ahnded typer so i can make even membrane office fodder sound loud.

Clicky noises irritate me as much as they're liable to irritate anyone else...

Byron C likes this.
  5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Heres my Keychron K2, The vertical 1U Nav row is annoying, but liveable. I didn't really like any of the Keychron own brand ones.

Caps Tai-Hao Dark Tunnel Exotics, Some rather meh Epomaker Sea Salt's. Not as bad as the stock reds even after lubed them but still very meh, think I need a heavier switch as I an bottom them out without any real effort/

[​IMG]

6. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Gateron black ink v2. Very smooth, I have some lubed silent versions I’m waiting to put in a board. Great switch in my opinion if you’re after a heavier actuation.

7. RedFlames

SuperHans123 likes this.
  8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Don't you already have a knob?

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  9. RedFlames

surrounded by them

yuusou likes this.
  10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I don't have that keyboard, but I do have a Keychron which had an optional knob (I didn't bother with) - it's lovely. My only complaint with the thing: the keycaps are already showing shine, particularly the left-hand spacebar (which, apparently, is the only one I ever use unless I'm actively making a conscious effort).

11. RedFlames

Guessing 'left handed spacebar' means you're one of those ergo weirdos?

Which switch option did you go with or did you get a barebones and add them yourself?

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Only sometimes!

keychronq8-top.jpg

Keychron Q8 Alice in BLOOOOO with Gateron G Pro Blue switches. Not a stock photo, that's my actual board - though before I'd used it, so there's no keyshine to be seen.

I wish I'd waited, 'cos they then came out with the Q10 Alice - same layout, more keys. Haven't got the funds to upgrade, though, so the Q8 it is!

13. RedFlames

At least it's not DVORAK so you haven't gone completely mad.

They're the 'hyperactive toddler with a cheap ballpoint' ones right?

[​IMG]

Arboreal and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  14. Gareth Halfacree

That's the ones - go click or go home!

15. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I’ve got a Keychron (a Q2 - with knob) and think they’re generally good boards for the price. Though I found the stabilisers needed a little tweaking for my liking.

I bought it barebones so haven’t got any experience with the standard keycaps or switches they ship with. But it’s had NK Creams, Silent Alpacas and Banana splits in it and felt/sounded fine.

16. RedFlames

See if I didn't know any better I'd think you were just making this stuff up.

adidan and BeauchN like this.
  17. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was someone cranking the handle on a random word generator and using the output to name new switches!

adidan likes this.
  18. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

:D:D
    In the same way a lot of unkown Chinese brand names on Amazon seem to be made up from two unconnected random English words!

New competition thread, post your best new unsuitable / inappropriate switch names

The_Crapman, adidan and BeauchN like this.
  19. RedFlames

That said, i'm guessing [assuming the name follow some even vaguely logical sense] that they are in the same ball bark as 'yellow', and as such -

linear
    require more force to press than 'red'
    don't require as much force as 'black'

but otherwise have something unique/interesting about them to justify their existence and a new name be it materials use, pre-gunking or whatever

20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

* Typed on CheeseFaucet 8.2 *

Arboreal and BeauchN like this.