Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Boards finally landed in the UK last night, should have them Thursday. Heavier spring I ordered are nowhere to be found, so got some TX Springs - XL (18mm) 90g from keebcats after contacting them to confirm they are actually UK based and can send things in a reasonable time. Knowing my luck the other springs will turn up today.

I also just realised I have the springs I swapped out of the clears. Balls!

2. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Though always worth having a little play around. I spring-swapped some switches to match another set I had, only to find I didn’t like them as much as I thought I would in a different type of switch. Do a few of each (stock, clears springs, TX springs) and see how the different weights and travel actually feel in your board and with your caps. Might save you doing them all and then having to re-do them all, and possibly again!

3. The_Crapman

Sounds like sound advice. Caps also can make a difference in the feel so should probably sort out what's going on it. I might like a lighter spring on left control because it's used so much and my pinky can get tired. Curse my postman pat hands!

BeauchN likes this.
  4. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I have my HHKB style board set up with 62.5 on the alphas and then 67 on the modifiers just to give me some extra feedback on them and make sure they are a deliberate press rather than accidental. Give those pinkies a workout!

5. Auxilliary

Auxilliary Crashes into space stations

6. The_Crapman

:grin:
    20240215_125940.jpg

Edit: Anyone know what these are? Got 4 of them with the akko. Replacement gaskets or dampeners for space, return etc?
    20240215_131450.jpg

Last edited: 15 Feb 2024
    VictorianBloke and Byron C like this.
  7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Sorry but, have you really bought yourself a Feker?

When you use it are you Fekin?

The_Crapman likes this.
  8. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Look like additional/different gaskets to me. They might give a different level of flex/bounce/resistance. See if they are different to those installed to start with.

9. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Are they feet? They look about the same size as the ones on my keyboard.

10. The_Crapman

I believe it's fekering, but when in a group it's fekin, sometimes referred to as a "geng beng"

Board looks an arse to take apart, screws under feet job. Will probably leave them be, got enough things to be tinkering with. :hehe:

Feet grips are already installed and doesn't match the size, but a good shout. :thumb:

BeauchN likes this.
  11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

After 35ish days in shipping, the keyboard finally arrived.
    [​IMG]

I wanna get myself a fancy escape key, different space bars and volume nubbin.

It's gonna take some getting used to. My K3 has the PG and home/end keys the other way round.
    Apparently I've also been pressing the Y key with the wrong hand my whole life.
    I've also spent the last few years either on laptops or low profile keyboards.

Gareth Halfacree and Byron C like this.
  12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I’m finding the same with the Alice board I bought recently! Taking some getting used to, I’m not sure I like it… I seem to be coming around to the idea that I should probably just bite the bullet and learn to touch type…

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm still using my cheapo squished-Alice keyboard. It's had a good few words through it now, and it's still working fine.

Byron C likes this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Im giving it a fair shot - I use it as my work keyboard as the layout is a much better fit for a Mac… If I’m going to keep using it long-term then I’m definitely swapping the caps and the switches. The switches just don’t feel as smooth or responsive as I’m used to, and I can’t stand the legends on the caps.

But right now the Alice layout is… taking some getting used to… I find myself pausing and second-guessing myself quite often, or I’ll reach for “Y” with my left hand and miss.

As with the Glove80 I borrowed from you (thanks again, btw!), I think the real answer is that I need to learn to touch type.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, they're not great - but I very rarely look at the thing, so they don't bother me too much!
    Yup - that'd fix both your problems! (Not that I'm one to talk: I "touch-type" in that, right now, I'm not looking at the keyboard at all... but it's not proper touch-typing, it's a few decades of bad habits which nevertheless work for me. I keep meaning to learn it properly, with the right fingers for each key, but every time I try it slows me down and I go back to what I know!)

16. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'm gonna stick to the Alice layout because my hands are buggered. I can "touch type" the same way as G: I can type without looking no problem, though I doubt I'm using the correct fingers for the correct keys.

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Which is exactly what I do, and what I suspect a good number of people here also do. I’m certainly not the fastest typist, but I can get up to a fair old clip. (I thought I could remember my WPM off the top of my head, but now I’m doubting myself.)

That’s why layouts like Alice or ortholinear throw me off so much: I can’t tell where my fingers need to be for each key by using the “home row”, so I rely on the muscle memory of certain keys being in certain positions. I use a board with a layout I’m not used to and it throws me when I don’t get it right. Then I get frustrated because it destroys my productivity… and I just go back to plain old ISO staggered columns.

Arboreal likes this.
  18. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

How long does it take to fix 21+ years of "muscle memory"? Asking for a friend.
    This is worse than when I switched from ISO to ANSI. It's not even close.

Arboreal likes this.
  19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Why would you do such a madness? :D

Arboreal and The_Crapman like this.
  20. The_Crapman

Never will I ever. No frickin way

Arboreal likes this.