1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Because I had a laptop that had an ISO layout on an ANSI keyboard. Then I moved somewhere where people mostly used ANSI. Then I moved somewhere where they only used ANSI.

It opens up my options for keyboards though. Not that I've had many.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Finally got round to spring testing. From left to right; stock boba spring, 80g 2 stage, 90g TX Springs - XL (18mm), stock Mx clear
    [​IMG]
    With a light lubing of the spring and stem only, the stock feels like browns on coke, but with the longer springs the tactility gets turned up to 11. The 2 stage 80g probably have the edge in sharpness, the 90g feel softer, especially on bottoming out. Stock clears are awful. Spongey, drab and lifeless, might as well be a different switch entirely, which is quite surprising. I feel like an 80g tx might just be perfect.

I could also be chasing something that doesn't exist and I'd ideally want to get it in service now the case has arrived, but there would be that nagging doubt i didn't try..... *le sigh*

Also these cute caps I ordered of evilbay arrived
    [​IMG]
    I mustn't have read the description very well as I thought there would be 3 separate caps, but it's 1 cap with interchangeable tops, and you can also change the text and picture displayed.
    [​IMG]
    Since it's going on a work bored, 58008 is out of the question, so as soon as I figure out how, 1337 is getting put on that calculator. Maybe 1337 4 11/=3.

Arboreal and BeauchN like this.
  3. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

That quote pretty much sums up the custom keyboard world…

The_Crapman likes this.
  4. The_Crapman

Nah I'm gonna go with the 2 stage 80g. I went with tactile over silent blacks because I wanted to try and stop bottoming out so much. The softer landing of the tx spring would only encourage spam handedness. I might stick the heavier switch on enter and return which often get a jubilant spank, but majority will get the 80g.

BeauchN likes this.
  5. The_Crapman

Had a bit of a mare with the caps. The tai-hao jelly jade set are a weird "cubic" profile and didn't match well with some of the other caps I've got, made all the more difficult by the layout and not having the smaller caps needed. Turned out pretty nicely in the end though
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Phone can't get the colour right as per, should look like
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Feb 2024
    Arboreal, Vault-Tec and yuusou like this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I bought a 60% for twenty quid.

I’m hoping the large set of clear caps I bought for another project will be compatible with it.

Apparently it’s blue mech switches. If they are proper mech switches I shall fit the leftovers of my kiwis to WASD and so on.

I’ll hardly ever use it, it will live in a backpack mostly so there was just no point spending more.

I also have one of those posh coiled cables spare because I thought my Razer at home was usbc and it isn’t.

Byron C and Arboreal like this.
  7. Vault-Tec

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Look, will you lot stop posting cheap keyboards please?

@Vault-Tec I’m guessing that doesn’t have hot swap switches, doesn’t look like it. I know that’s not an issue for your use case!

Arboreal likes this.
  9. Vault-Tec

Yeah it’ll be solder. Thankfully I had a lot of practice on the Asus Falchion lol.

I have a load of switches left from that, so I’ll just replace everything I use in games.

Hopefully the space bar isn’t some whack ass size like the Falchion.

Arboreal and Byron C like this.
  10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I de- and re-soldered all the switches on a mechanical keyboard once. Emphasis on once, because I am not doing that again! :grin: Even with a temp-controlled desoldering gun and all the flux in the world, it was a total ballache to do all 160-odd pins…

Arboreal, IanW and Vault-Tec like this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Still using the cheap-arse AJAZZ. Still working fine - no glitches, no problems, the switches are still standing up. It's had a heck of a lot of words through it now, too. Impressed!

I nearly chucked it through the ceiling this morning, though, when I lifted it to dust the desk off and forgot it doesn't weigh as much as the metal-cased Keychron...

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I’m still using mine when I work at home. It’s… still challenging me! :grin:

I did some quick WPM tests on monkeytype out of curiosity. On my Keychron K8 I hit about 76 - about the range I expected. On the cheapo Alice, I hit a disappointing but expected 65-ish. By far and away the best result was my work MacBook Pro: 88 WPM!

So I tried the standalone Apple keyboard in work recently - we’ve got loads of them lying around, so I can have one to cart back & fore if I want. MacBook keyboard? Actually quite like it. Standalone Apple keyboard? Can’t type on it to save my life.

13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

With all the new companies offering similar options now what are some of the recommended brands/models for something 60-75%, ISO, open switch wise but not too light (didn't get on with reds/browns) and doesn't need any fancy gamery things such as leds, don't mind if it has them but wouldn't pay extra.

I see some of these crazy cheap models out there, but a) dislike buying stuff from amazon/even more so when it's from a random company b) want something reliable and that is nice to use, my ducky mini feels solid.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2024
    Arboreal likes this.
  14. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Looks like this is the perfect place to ask this question.

I want some full sized mech keyboards, qwerty obviously. Gonna need 3 or 4 for the repair benches, don't wanna spend an absolute fortune. Wired preferred I think.

Any recommendations? *Please

Arboreal likes this.
  15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It'll definitely handle more than that, if you can get used to the layout:

upload_2024-3-5_16-54-55.png

(I could probably push it further, but my accuracy'd drop.)

I'd go with Filco or Keychron, personally - though the latter is typically ANSI, not ISO.

KeyboardCo has a UK-layout Keychron K6 65%, with Gateron Blue switches as an option. £89.

Full size? Filco Majestouch-2, hunnert quid. I've got one of those, it's lovely.

If you can get on with ANSI, there's the Keychron C2 Retro for £64. Otherwise, if you're after a Name Brand, go for the Cherry MX-Board 3.0 Pro at £75.

modd1uk and Byron C like this.
  16. The_Crapman

Mx black (linear) or Mx clear (tactile) would be heavier than brown or red.
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/duck...aming-keyboard-cherry-clear-bl-kb-2as-dk.html

modd1uk likes this.
  17. The_Crapman

There was a bunch of cheap coolermaster boards around, but seem to have dried up. Overclockers have a bunch of ducky full size boards on sale with; Mx blue, Mx black, Mx blue, Mx brown

18. GeorgeStorm

I've had ANSI in the past, found it annoying for the odd character, but mostly it's because my current keyboard is ISO, and so I don't want to be swapping between ANSI/ISO for home and work type thing.
    Definitely wouldn't get anything bigger than a TKL, haven't had a numpad for years and have yet to wish I did! Dedicated arrow keys might be nice for my work setup though. Yeah I liked my Filco when I had one, really solid bit of kit.
    I've also realised this might be a chance to try some wireless stuff, never bothered in the past but I'm sure the number of options has increased and the reliability etc is better now so I maybe I could get over my wired superiority now :D

Yeah had both and liked both in the past, use blues at the moment as wanted the tactile and liked the idea of a click. I think ideally I'd be looking to spend less than £100, especially if going for a wired keyboard, then again they somehow seem to have increased in price if anything since I last bought one despite being everywhere now!

Maybe I should find my login details for geekhack and deskthority....

19. The_Crapman

Yeh does seem to have been quite the bump in prices. CM ck550 seems to have doubled in price in the last year. Keychron seem to be the only ones who've kept their prices in that time. If you didn't want to order direct and wait for china delivery, the keyboard company usually have a healthy stock

20. GeorgeStorm

Just checked and apparently I've had this Ducky Mini for over 10 years now! Cost me 158EUR shipped (29EUR for the shipping) from Ducky Nordic as it wasn't released in the UK at the time. How time flies yeesh!

I'm in no rush as I can always temporarily just move the keyboard back and forth if needed, got the feeling I've got a couple of keyboards and mice in storage somewhere that I should probably have a look at before buying anything new but it won't stop me from looking

Edit:
    Weird looking back in this thread, forgotten half the the stuff and seeing so many names not around anymore.

What are your thoughts on your Akko 5075B? Not heard of the brand but looks decent and potentially what I'm after? (although will have to google what all the switches are as with most newer brands! :D)

Last edited: 6 Mar 2024
    Arboreal likes this.