1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How to Make a Mac Killer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Jul 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2009/07/10/how-to-make-a-mac-killer/1

Apple is winning; the iPhone is the sexiest gadget going, Apple’s computers are gobbling market share like Pacman eats pills and Apple stores are filled with eager customers. Mark Mackay and Alex Watson pit their wits against the Jobs Mob and try to build an Mac killer.

:dremel:

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

No hackintosh install? For shame. :(

3. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

4. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Great article. I don't think there's any doubt that a custom-build PC will trounce any Apple out there on a £for£ basis, particularly in gaming where Macs ship with stupidly underpowered graphics by default. I mean, Mac Pros - machines costing multiple thousands - ship with barely more than Nvidia integrated. Lamé.

Ultimately, though, I think that Macs are about the user experience and that regardless of performance, you are paying top dollar for the unique Mac experience. As you noted, taking an iMac out of the box, plugging in the single cable and just getting to work is a spectacularly nice thing to do. Using OSX is a world away from Vista (although I haven't used Windows 7).

When it comes to performance both on the desktop and laptop side, Apple is definitely behind the curve (although less than it was in the G5 days, thankfully). My MacBook Air is nothing beyond a very fancy netbook when it comes to actually doing stuff. BUT I would use it over a notebook twice as powerful because a) for 90% of people (including me) performance is no longer an issue (Firefox on 1.8GHz vs 3GHz...) and b) It's just a pleasure to use in the hardware and software sense.

What does amaze me are Mac people who could desperately use the extra power and refuse to. Photoshop users, for example, would do a lot better with an uber PC and a nice 8-bit or 10-bit display, as opposed to the crappy 6-bit ones that Apple ships. Apple's smartest long term move on that front would be to buy Adobe, but I doubt they'd do that.

ChriX likes this.
  5. RTT

RTT #parp

I'll take the iMac please :)

6. N!ck

N!ck ModMag.Net

hahaha "mac killer" LOL, sound's more like project "EPIC FAIL" , like most of iPod/ iPhone killers :)

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

the whole point of buying Apple computers are for their Mac OSX. so please install Hackintosh.

if you were to install hackintosh, however, a more mainstream motherboard may be needed better (Gigabyte/Asus).

IMHO, for gaming, you got to stick with PC for the wide range of games. for everything else, a iMac or Hackint0sh offers better user experience than Windows. (from presonal experience of installing Hackintosh on my sig PC)

8. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

9. N!ck

N!ck ModMag.Net

+1

10. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

But the whole point of the article was to build a Mac killer - that includes killing the OS they come with IMHO and building a faster machine which (unfortunately) comes with Vista.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Add to that that the higher end cards (Which cost you your children) are underclocked anyway, to maintain the noise levels.

12. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Then it's just a PC >_<

13. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

[​IMG]
    Is the left hose really as doglegged as it looks?

[​IMG]
    This hole doesn't look circular, it's just the camera angle, right? ;) Oh, and it needs C-strip.

Otherwise, a nice build. That case is pretty sweet, I could see myself using that for a HTPC.

Overall, the results don't surprise me too much, but don't forget the Mac gets even more expensive if you want to play games because you still need to buy a Vista license!

14. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

Yes, it doesn't look quite circular in the shot, but it is just the camera angle. I've cut that hole so many times I could do it with my eyes closed ;p

Missed that slight weft in the tube though. Oh well =)

We where very pleased with the case. It looks great and is a decent size if you're thinking of water cooling.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's the angle of the photos - the tube goes down in line with the shot before going in ;)

How exactly? Clearly you didn't even bother to read, or even click on the article, simply resorting to trolling the comments with a fanboyish rant.

I do agree with the comments about OSX though - unfortunately I suppose that's Apple's monopoly.

16. harveypooka

harveypooka Fond of rumpots and crackpots

Yeah, I agree - should have gone Hackintosh or at least EFiX.

Also, of course you can get a cheaper machine if you build it yourself! It's a given!

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well not really - we wanted to try and build something that competed in terms of quality of noise and aesthetics too. Not simply to know if we could do it cheaper.

18. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Perhaps a better comparison would have been against a G5 rather than an iMac? After all, the iMac is an all-in-one unit (using laptop parts). Really to "compete" against the iMac you would have to do the same thing.

19. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I'd take the iMac thanks.

20. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

No pictures showing.

Tags: Add Tags