Modding How to Make a Mac Killer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Jul 2009.

1. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Broken pictures.

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Images are now fixed.

3. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

I think you may have slipped up display wise. A brushed Alu H-IPS from Hazro would look much better on your desk and give a very similer picture to the HP...if you could source one that works. :)

http://www.hazro.co.uk/

It's such a shame that no one else makes Alu displays or at least stylish ones with decent panels. :(

4. explicit4u

explicit4u What's a Dremel?

5. reflux

reflux What's a Dremel?

I enjoyed the article and was impressed with what you guys achieved, but the problem with the whole thing is that it is so subjective.

I work in the design industry, and everyone uses Macs. I don't. I find OSX irritatingly restrictive and slow to work with. The only thing I like about it (the dock) can be easily replicated with free third-party software.

Macs are lovely looking machines, but if I was to buy a computer based solely on looks, I'd be rather shallow.

For everyone who criticised the article, claiming it should have been more apples-to-apples; here's an all-in-one that can compete on both performance and looks....and pack a touchscreen.

The HP TouchSmart iQ5000. http://h30440.www3.hp.com/campaigns/touchsmart/IQ500_NA/Model.html Also designed by the guys who worked on Apple's early stuff.

6. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

Thank you for the free Microsoft Advertisement. That IS what you intended right? Telling us how cool it is that Microsoft gives us all those patches for their buggy OS for free, along with stuff like the new Windows Media Player that has a crap UI compared to the one it replaced, etc.

On top of all that, what you've built is really more of a Mac-Mini killer, not a Mac killer. Try comparing apples and apples.

No, I'm NOT a fan of Macs particularly, I just hate specious arguments.

7. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

yes call me a fanboy against apple and I hate osx- period. would be super if the article waited for windows 7 though :), there are also alot of fanboys against vista, might have lessen the aggression in the forums, though if you placed ubuntu on it, there would be a different subset of fanboys still though.. sigh*

8. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

im going to ignore the whole software bit....

however, am i the only one who doesnt actually like the look of the all in one imac? i dont like large borders around a screen, which means i find the big bar at the bottom of the imac annoying to always be in sight. even if you dont like the look of your tower, its not something you look at when you use the computer.

either way, the system put together just showed to me how much you have to pay for things like vista, watercooling. i know the power supply you chose was a good 'un, but that was very expensive too.

9. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

My god... the fanboy **** here is excessive...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however wrong it may be... I happen to like windows and linux, and I won't touch OSX or a mac with a 20 foot barge pole... does that make me wrong? Yeah it does, due to the fact that I'm biased, and I really should expose myself to anything if only for a learning experience. However, even if a Macbook or iMac was better spec for a lower price, I wouldn't buy it.

All this mac vs. pc stuff is completely asinine seeing as neither party will really listen to the other, everything just goes round and round.

10. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

Volund, if you like Linux I don't see why you sholdn't like Mac: it's built on Mach which is a UNIX variant and the terminal tool interface to the Mac IS a U/Linux shell. The GUI is just a single user ripoff (oh, pardon me, homage) to CDE [which was in turn a ripoff of HP View (sp?)] I recently bought a Mac Mini to do some iphone progarmming and was LMAO when I looked at the UI and realized it was just a tarted up version of the CDE desktop I helped develop 10 years ago. The Mac now uses a 3 button mouse and IS just a UNIX type machine with a CDE style desktop, but with nicer art, and of course the ability to only use one window at a time.

Separated at birth?

HP Vue desktop:

[​IMG]

Sun CDE desktop:

[​IMG]Current Mac desktop:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Jul 2009
  11. Volund

I have no reason to buy into their image, or to use their software. I can find comparable programs to their bundled software free for windows or linux if I really need to do anything like that. I have absolutely no reason to buy one of their overpriced machines (even with a student discount) it just makes no sense to me why people would shell out that kind of money when I could strap my laptop to the back of my screen and get better performance.

12. leslie

leslie Just me!

How about an update.
    Put OSX on it and then run Xbench and see how badly the Mac loses.

I do agree with some others though, while I understand the point of watercooling, you made the whole thing into a mess. Mac users buy what they buy because they pull it out of a box and it works. The same should apply here.

I have one huge bone of contention with the Apple that should be mentioned...
    If you want a larger screen, buy a new machine. How much sense does that make? Also, if you run dual monitors, how do you make them look remotely similar? The Mac is very pretty, I like them, but they are too restrictive.

13. ESD_munkee

ESD_munkee What's a Dremel?

Intrestin, the only things I dislike about MACs are the price and weedy GPUs and orrible mice.
    When Will the HP LP2475w review be up? Have seen lots of good reviews, but also a good few ppl complaining about pinkish tinges in areas of the panel (cue mind bending trips down multiple revision number disscussions).

14. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Buy another iMac and link them? ;)

The iMac is a strange beasty, neither desktop nor laptop. You might have been better just buying a gaming laptop and some glue! I don't really like the concept of an all in one, for similar reasons to most of the above. You get all the restrictions (and added price) of a laptop, Apple or not, and few if any of the advantages of a desktop. i.e. you can't carry it easily and you can upgrade it/get inside/put proper bits in it.

Personally I would prefer the Mac "Killer" in the article, though I would question the killer bit and would actually prefer something to tuck under my desk. One of the many good things about a separate PC and screen is that you can get rid of the box.

Whilst I can see that the initial "ooh I just got it out of the box and it worked" factor is pleasurable, how often does Joe Public get that? probably once. Its not like a "normal" computer takes that long to sort out and you generally only do it once.

15. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Looks like the Apple crowd is the majority in this topic so...
    wait for it...
    MACS SUCK!

Sorry, i had to do it.

Volund likes this.
  16. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

meh. the biggest thing to come out of this article is the recycledness from CPC.

17. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

You are in such big trouble now :p

There are people here who are not able to subscribe to CPC seeing as we're in different countries. :thumb:

And to be on topic, whats the point of arguing which one is better? It's all subjective in the end according to what your wants and needs are. Why not just figure out which one works best for you and use that?

EDIT: YAY, my first multi-quote

Last edited: 10 Jul 2009
  18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

lol, yeah. i've put Leopard onto my machine, and even with a 6200 graphics card, managed to beat my friend's x1600 first gen MBP's graphics scores in xbench. all other scores are multiples of his.

why is it, every Apple related thread attract more fanboy comments than any other thread? there are way more "i hate Mac" than "i hate nVidia" in nVidia name re-naming threads.

19. Volund

or "zomg mac.... fapfapfap..." and "no, PC suzxxxz, mac is SHINY!!!11!1" it goes both ways

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

actually, i see more "i prefer imac" rather than insults

Tags: Add Tags