1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Favourite authors

Discussion in 'General' started by Kovoet, 19 Oct 2010.

1. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Right I love reading but two authors I have all their books and have read them more than once.

David Gemmel - Big gap in my life when he past away as i love his books
    Raymond E Feist - Both these authors are very similar.

2. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

:jawdrop: You just mentioned one of my favourite authors. David Gemmell RIP. My favourite of his would be Dark Moon. The next is Legend for sure.

I have a good collection of books myself - all fantasy/fiction. My top authors are Neil Gaiman, Robert Jordan, R.A Salvatore and James Clavell. I have all of the Wheel of time and a hefty selection of Salvatores books - from The Icewind Dale trilogy to the Sell Swords along with a good few random authors too. I'm also really happy that Brandon Sanderson has taken up the task of finishing the Wheel of time too. I can look forward to a new book next month!

3. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

Love fantasy but I have yet to read anything that even come close to J. R. R. Tolkien.

4. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Mario Puzo and Dan Brown, I have read every novel by both and enjoyed them all.

5. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Stephanie Meyers....... :D

Well I did just read some Jane Austen and I do seem to like her. But nothing quite compares to how epically sad The Children of Hurin was. I <3 Tolkien

6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

In no particular order:

Robin Hobb

Garth Nix

Frank Herbert

Trudi Canavan

R. A. Salvatore

Anne Bishop

David Gemmell

Anne Rice

Ed Greenwood

Ursla Le Guin

Kevin J. Anderson

Margaret Weis

Tracy Hickman

That's all that come to mind right now.

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

If you like his books try Raymond E Feist as well but start off with the Magician. My favourite of his was Waylander

October likes this.
  8. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Right I hate to admit this but I read all three of Stephanie Meyers books and now I am embarassed I freggin enjoyed them too

9. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

quite a few of the oes mentioned above, but also Jim Butcher, who's taken the place of people I buy hardbacks of since Gemmel past away, Sir Terry Pratchett, Charles Stross and Richard Morgan

10. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

Jeffery Deaver

Douglas Adams.

Terry Pratchett

Early: Tom Clancey , he's a bit "hoo-rah" these days

And I like most of the Classic Greek Myths and tales.

11. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

R.A. Salvatore is good. For fans of Drizzt/Icewind dale, I recommend a series by Weiss/Hickman called the Death Gate Cycle. It's a series of 7 books, stands alone from their dragonlance stuff and is really good fantasy.

Otherwise, Chuck Palahniuk has a cool style. He's the guy that wrote Fight Club but honestly, I like the movie more than the book in that case. Check out Choke and if you've seen the movie, erase that from your mind, the movie is horrible.

J.R.R. Tolkien always has to be mentioned.

12. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Probably my favourite author ever hasn't been mentioned yet, Robert Rankin. He churns out sooo many books and he's completely mental in a good way.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2010
  13. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

This is good going and will look at some of the authors mentioned.

14. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Orson Scott Card is probably the only one not mentioned so far.

15. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I've got every Raymond E Feist book and all his collaborations also

I've reread them 3 or 4 times :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Oct 2010
  16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Big fan of him, and Douglas Adams.

Ernest Hemingway is probably my favorite, though. First read A Farewell to Arms and was hooked on his style.

17. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

What's a book, oh I just googled it. Where is the power switch?
    Seriously though
    Terry Pratchett fills up more than one shelf, Dean Koontz and Steven King take up another and Dan Broan and Nick Hornby are up there too.

18. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

This. In the same vein (but slightly less insane), Tom Holt.
    Also Christopher Fowler, Jim Butcher and a few others.

19. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Ian Irvine - I could read through The Songs of The Tears series over and over.

Joe Haldeman - If you're a science-fiction fan and haven't read The Forever War, I highly recommend it, get the Peace & War book though so you get Forever Peace as well for no extra cost.

Scott Lynch - I practically lost a whole month of my life reading through The Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies, completely got lost in the books and forgot to do work.

Alastair Reynolds - I'd say he's easily the top must have author for any reader who's heavily into space. Pushing Ice, House of Suns and Terminal World are three of the best books I have ever read, science-fiction or not.

Iain M. Banks - He tends to be a little inconsistent in my favourites list, every couple of books he tends to do one that makes makes me not much of a fan... but another always follows with such emotional writing that just makes it impossible not to love how his mind works.

Edward Lee - Not really a favourite author of mine, he gets an honourable mention for being the only author to ever make me cringe and lose multiple nights of sleep from how grotesque and revolting some of his books are. The Bighead in particular is just wrong in so many ways, wonderful read but just so sick and twisted (don't ever read that book immediately before going to sleep, the dreams you have will be very vivid).

Some of the more recent additions to my favourites list would be Paolo Bacigalupi (The Windup Girl), Cherie Priest (Boneshaker), Alyxandra Harvey (My Love Lies Bleeding), Maria V. Snyder (Poison, Magic and Fire Study).

I have to add Scott Mueller to my list as well, even though he does technical books instead of novels, I have every edition of Upgrading and Repairing PCs by him (19 of them so far). It's sort of like my bible collection.

20. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Hugh Hefner, i read all his stuff.