1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Have you ever overcome laziness ?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 15 Dec 2010.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

For as long as I can remember, I have always been a lazy guy. I wouldn't say it ruined my life, because it hasn't. However, it has made everything worse and harder to fix.

It seems like I don't have any drive in life. I am never eager to do anything, yet I am definitely not depressed. I am just... there.

Is there a time in life (I just turned 25) when you just wake up and start working harder ?

-I need to work harder or my studies
    -I need to work harder at the gym (yes, I just started going to the gym)
    -I need to work on eating healthy things
    -I need to work on thousands of other things

If you did succeed, how did you do it ?

PS: I am not depressed or anything so I don't believe this belongs in the "ruining your life" thread. I am just genuinely interested in knowing how you guys deal with this

2. Canon

Canon Reformed

It takes effort to get where you want to be and to get the things that you want, wether it be material items or social, emotional or financial happiness, thus if you don't get off your lazy ass and put in the effort then you have nothing coming your way, your life will be static, boring and just another mouth for everyone to feed, except this one has rights and is entitled to an opinion, despite doing nothing for themselves whilst perfectly capable..

That's what I thought to myself when I was 15/16? and it worked, I got off my ass and did things that were self developing, not to say i didn't carry on being lazy at times, but realising it is really what needs to happen to motivate someone, the moment you realise you're a lazy so and so it's easy going.

3. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

meh, I'm one of lifes drifters.

I've an IQ thats in the top 0.1% (apparently) but have no dirve and an applaing memory.

If I am driven and motivated I can become a single minded agressive driven indavidual, like when I go the gym. I go all out and dam near put myself in cardiac arrest (I excersize at 95% of max heart rate).

BUT.
    and it is such a big but.

I'd hate to be like that 24/7, I'd just be an obnoxious tw@

I like being a drifter, things work out alright for me. I like my job. If money was no object and I had to fill my time, I'd do pretty much what I do now.

I've got a nice family, a nice house, a nice car and generally enjoy my life.
    I've drifted in to some great situations and great times.

Whats more, even though I've made some really stupid mistakes in my life. I'd do everything again if it would get me here.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Brute force and ignorance. The way I overcome most problems.

5. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Really? I prefer the dremel at hand and the other power tools ready in my shed :hehe:

6. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

you need to establish a routine.

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

In all honestly, elitism is what motivates me.

The only reason I keep myself looking decent is to consider myself more fashionable than others. I only keep my car washed to be above those who don't. I mostly only study in school do out-do my classmates. And of course, I wish to advance my career to fund these others things.

I suppose the better sounding word for it is pride. Taking pride in yourself and realizing what all you could be when you apply yourself.

It first really hit me when I started trying to dress decently. People start looking at you differently and sometimes even treating you differently. I've replaced my worn down jeans with newer ones in more stylish cuts or sometimes slacks, T-shirts with button down shirts (I like the button collars), and some leather slippons rather than my ratty tennis shoes. It felt great seeing what putting some effort into my appearance could do and I figure you'll feel just the same after hitting the gym for a bit. It was a huge motivator to put more effort into all aspects of my life.

Except for last Saturday when I could be found roaming Wal-Mart in a white t-shirt, pajamas, and rubber mud boots. We don't speak of that.

Mik3yB @ CCL likes this.
  8. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

I'm lazy aswell. I hate it.

9. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Im pretty laid back and its been my down fall in life but i think its helped my personality its all about balance

Alot of my friends are like me but a little bit more focused if anything the thing is people i have met who focus all there energy on there education and never leave anytime to chill and just do stuff they want.

They tend to become VERY dull and end up with little or no social interaction at all

Kind of of topic but as said above taking pride in what you do is a great tip! taking pride the subjects your taking the way you dress etc

10. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I'm lazy aswell, I have a terrible attention span. I could never motive myself do do anything i didn't like e.g School work. My worst think is though is that i leave alot of thing to the last minute.

11. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Eh, I've drifted for most of my life and a lot of people would probably describe me as the laziest person they know. Very few things motivate me and I'm finding it difficult to change, which I really need to do considering the fact I'd like to get into second year of uni... I suppose the prospect of failure does motivate me a bit, but only enough to reach not failure if you see what I mean... Interestingly if I set myself personal projects I can and will spend every waking hour doing them.

In fact why am I even posting this, I should be working I have an log book in for tomorrow!

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I guess I could do that. Tbh though, I take more pride in finishing first on a TF2 server than I do in anything else in life

pathetic :hehe:

I do the exact same thing and it's basically the same as juggling with dynamite while surrounded by a circle of fire.

I feel good about myself for going to the gym. It's cool but I can't do much yet, I'm just in too bad of a shape

13. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

As I am nearing my 30's I have realized that sitting and playing games for more than 4-5 hours a day is not healthy - mentally, physically and socially. Fix your fixation with games and go do something else. A hobby that is hands on, meeting up with people for dinner and conversation etc. You'll find that getting out and seeing life will only make you want to be more active in other areas of your life.

IMHO if you feel like a lazy sob, you need to do something fulfilling that makes you feel like your time is not wasted. 'Dead time' is something we as a society expect out of life now, its a luxury and a privilege to waste time literally doing nothing.

Moderation is a word we as civilized people hate - but its becoming more of a truth to me as time passes and I see the effects of being lazy or irresponsible.

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I've always been lazy. I look at others with their drive or motivation and wonder where on earth they get it from. I find myself envying those who know what they want to do, and have the motivation to do it. I just seem to be a drifter.

If something important needs doing I will often leave it until the last moment. It's almost as though I will only do things when I have no choice. I hate not being able to motivate myself to be honest, but I've no idea how to.

15. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

If I post about how lazy I am, does that count as doing something, or am I still being lazy?

16. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Lol.

I dont think its always laziness per se, more that we've lost our youthful enthusiasm. I used to work out, I used to eat healthily, I used to lead a more active lifestyle and get out more; but then I entered fulltime employment after leaving 6th form and got into the grind of not really caring anymore.

Im trying to eat more healthily ( soup fills you up but doesnt contain many calories ) but without exercise it makes little difference; you eat fewer calories but burn fewer too ( damn you, internet ) so theres no weight loss happening. Doesnt help much given how crappy the weather in in the UK, little enthusiasm for going out for walks or taking my r/c trucks out to a good bash spot for some fun, even though said bash spots are only 15-20 minutes away on foot.

If I were rich I'd hire a personal trainer and get into shape, then that would make me feel happier and more energetic, instead of bordering on depressed & lethargic.

:sigh:

17. hyder

hyder horrible horrible horrible

That is what I was going to say.

I was terribly lazy at uni - so lazy that I stopped going to classes and exams and they chucked me out.

The shame of my complete failure got me to stop being lazy and developing a routine has helped me not become lazy again.

I moved out here for work a year ago and started going to the gym, playing football more often and eating healthily. I also stopped playing computer games as much and decided that I would always try to and go out and be sociable instead of staying in, scratching my nuts and playing games. I told myself that whenever someone invites you to do anything its better to go and do that that sit alone.

Overall I'm a much happier person now, with a lot more drive and general enthusiasm.

18. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

The hardest part is actually getting started...I've had success with the Pomodoro Technique for this as it sets ridiculously achievable goals, and before you know it you have the momentum going...

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Brute force, really.
    I am lazy as all hell by nature, but I like winning. The only way I can keep winning (anything) is by being good at it. I need to keep working on being good at everything. So I force myself to work on those things.
    It's gotten to a point where I have a REALLY hard time sitting around doing nothing for any amount of time greater than 10 minutes. I get horribly bored, and start working.

20. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Habits take 30 days to settle in. Force yourself to do something in the morning to get yourself out of bed. Go swimming with the early bird before work. Do it for 30 days (no days off even weekends) the exercise will give you more energy. With the rest of your day do something constructive, work/education, give yourself a few hours "me" time each day to do anything, play games/laze about.

The hardest part is getting used to it, but after 30 days of forcing yourself to do it, you will more than likely guilt yourself into doing it afterwards. And it will only take about a month to really make a difference in yourself.

Think im rambling on a bit now.