Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

After quietly reading through this log i have to say this is one of best scratch builds i have ever seen Waynio :D

The detail and design of the case is awesome *subbed*

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Wow :blush: thank you very much for such a high compliment :blush: appreciated mate & welcome to bit-tech :thumb:.

Got a mid day update here :D.

Was up early so got started on filing the left side panel & wow was I seriously wrong about it being a half hour to an hour task :D:duh: started at 6:30 am had the filing done by 10:30 am, only had a 5 minute break, the satinising mops came the other day & thought I'd clean up the freshly filed panel with the coarse grit one & wow I really like it, possibly even enough to not get it anodised but thats my initial reaction to how good it looks anyway :D, also used the satinising mop on the curve bars.

Fixed the 2 iffy helicoils on the right side, managed to remove them & tap it again & put new ones in & it's good now :D.

Did what I planned on doing by doing the brush flow the same as the shape ;).

Currently taking a little break to post this update, then I'll watch a show then get back to doing the right panel, need a good hour break after all that filing.

So here is the coarse satinising mop on my drill & a scrap piece for testing.
    [​IMG]

Heres another test piece after the brush.
    [​IMG]

Heres the left panel after all the filing.
    [​IMG]

After the satinising.
    [​IMG]

Closer look.
    [​IMG]

Back on the case with both curve bars brushed too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully if I can stand it I'll get the other panel done today :).

3. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Hey, that's pretty goood!

4. Nicksen

Nicksen Danish Kid :D

I actually really like this... :eek: Good work! :thumb:

5. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Wow bro fantastic job, sanding aluminum can be a time wasting process, well done!!! :)

6. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Do you work for Lian-Li? :lol:

7. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Is it just fate that I'm eating a cheescake?
    Nice going Wayne.

8. Fedmas

Fedmas Leader of the casemod watchers :D

Nice.. Like the shape !

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Nutman :).

Thanks Nicksen :thumb:.

Thanks Alex :thumb: Still got the sanding of the edges to do :waah: & take any scratches out that were on the alu when I got it :waah:, was 4 hours of filing & about 15 minutes of using the drill with satinising mop for the brushed alu on the surface, but wow I'm glad the filing is out of the way :D:clap:.

:hehe: I wish :D.

:hehe: Thanks KidMod :thumb:.

Thanks Fedmas :thumb: I felt the need to try an irregular shape after 3 square form cases :D.

OK don't know what driven me but I filed the other panel & brushed it so that must have been about 8 or 9 hours today filing so have sore finger tips lol, still needs a good bit of work like sanding the edges so they are perfectly smooth looking & need to get rid of some scratches which the alu already had when I received it but it's going well, also I thought I fixed the right side panels helicoils but no they are still iffy so best thing to do is remove the helicoils & use m4 helicoils & bolts, shame as the left sides helicoils are perfectly fine.

OK a bunch of pics of the finished pieces for today, couldn't help myself & took quite a few :D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll have to get started on the essential mobo mounting holes & pci/io piece soon, I deeply hope I don't muck that up after all this :worried:.

10. KidMod-Southpaw

MMM pictures:brrr:

:naughty: get it?

11. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I've never heard of a satinising mop before. I like the brushed effect it gives. Those side panels are looking sweet.

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

No sorry I don't :lol:.

I wouldn't have known about them either but my dad had a couple back from when he polished some bike parts & I tried it out & was very impressed with how easy they clean up aluminium they are awesome, thanks voigts :thumb:.

Started on making the fan mount bars, done the filing on 1 & a half out of 6 bars, I'll need to be ultra persistant to get all 6 complete by the end of the day, there is another 2 or 4 but they are slightly different spec so I'll leave them until I got the main 6 done.
    Think I'd better get some gloves on too as my finger tips are starting to blister, just don't like gloves as you can't feel the piece your working on.

Like this but I improved the design a tiny bit, you'll see later :).
    [​IMG]

13. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I am in love with this build, nuff said!!! :)

14. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

Its always nice to see aproject coming together and after using the satinging mop it certainly is starting to look purdy :) :thumb:

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Alex, means a lot coming from a modder I'm a fan of :D:thumb:.

Thanks Shael :thumb:.

I'm on an unplanned break as my dad took over the garage lol, was really getting stuck in too, but good news, I can stick with the m3 bolts on the right side panel, I went a little barbaric on the fix but it worked excellent, took out the iffy helicoils, drilled the hole with a 4mm bit & hammered the brass inserts from the first page in & they are solid :D.

16. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Congrats with the MOTM

17. KidMod-Southpaw

No sorry I don't :lol:.

Jizz Stain. :sigh:

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks k.3nny, yeah it was a nice surprise earlier, must have been that what driven me to do another full day of filing :D.

Dude :lol:.

Holy sheet I've developed a muscle in my forearm I never knew existed & it aches a lot, filing total for yesterday & today rounds up to about 17 hours, gahhh I feel like a zombie.

The brass thread inserts are meant for acyrlic but I must have miss drilled the bottom right side holes for the helicoils so were not a good tight fit so I used a 4mm drill bit for the brass inserts, placed them in the hole.
    [​IMG]

Hammer time :D

Put masking tape over it to keep it in place & whacked it in with a hammer, then fine tuned the whacking with a small hammer so it was in flush, good stuff :D, seems I clipped the back panel & it made the right panel not go on correct so whacked the excess off with a chisel & it goes on fine now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fan mount bars.

Cut the main 6 bars to required size & was only gonna do these 6 & the other optional 2 or 4 tomorrow but done the lot today.
    [​IMG]

Many hours of this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test fit
    [​IMG]

Panels on with an extra bolt near the top back of the side panels & the front 2 fan mounts, top fan mount & bottom fan mount filing done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the MOTM nomination :D:clap:.

19. KidMod-Southpaw

Well done on MOTM! I've voted for you and AnG3L.

Hercules type modding.

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Thanks KidMod :thumb: I only voted for Sors salutis didn't know had choice of 2 :duh:.