Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

How much is that pure?

I may want it lol in red switches not sure though

2. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Oh and Longweight, what are the chances of me getting a keyboard bought over here from the US, or was it just wishful thinking lol

3. wayne6707

wayne6707 What's a Dremel?

having read through some of the first 5-10 pages of this thread and having very little help in my build critque thread i thought i would come here to ask if anyone has any good ideas on keyboard recomendations here.

my main uses of the keyboard would be gaming with typing occasionally.

having looked at some of the links i think i would probably be best starting with browns (seems to be the recomended place to start) although blacks, clears and reds interest me too.

I would really like a full size UK keyboard in ISO format as having used ANSI i prefer ISO which im sure from what i have read alot of you will disagree with me on. I would also really want backlit kets as i tend to play in low light/dark environments a fair bit. I am also not interested in macro keys but if the keyboard has them it wouldnt stop me buying it.

so with all this info are there any recomendations as you have all put me off going for a razer or corsair due to the domed keys, shiny metal and on the razer at least i know only WASD cluster is set to NKRO (although i know if i use USB im limited to 6+4 anyway).

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

There aren't many backlit mechanical boards, is this a necessity? A Filco full board with browns from the keyboardco will be a lovely first board.

5. wayne6707

I wouldnt say a necesity however i would of really liked it if im going to spend this sort of money on keyboard would be nice to have what i really want but if it is going to be hard, impossible or add extra crazy expense i could live without it i guess. I would also say this is true of ISO vs ANSI i could live with ANSI if it made it easier to get the backlighting but again if im planning on spending this kind of money i would like to get what i prefer.

I know im sort of limiting my options which is also why i am struggling to find what i want and why i hoped posting here would bring out the experts who may happen to know what i want.

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Humdidum I think I like the brown switches.

I have a bunch of mechanical keyboards around for a review and I think I still prefer the Qpad MK-85. Backlit, NKRO over USB and lovely rubberized finish. Too bad mine came with red switches.

wayne6707 likes this.
  7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

For the cheaper end, a Qpad is a viable option, a Ducky Shining is a decently made board, far superior to their cheaper TKL boards (which get a lot of bad rep although I never had a problem with mine)

hamza it's looking to be around £90.

wayne6707 likes this.
  8. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

ANSI gives you a much much larger pool of options.

Ducky shine would be my suggestion if you can live with ANSI. If not then with backlighting AFAIK you're limited to Qpad MK85 (expensive) or the likes of the Corsair K90, BWU etc (talking about full size and standard layouts)

BW stealth ultimate is the only ISO backlit MX BROWN board I can think of... 6KRO USB as well. I wasn't a fan of the quality of the original Black Widow MX blue though.

George £90 is good for a Pure. I don't know if i should though I think I need a Race (so rare atm though) cuz of dedicated arrow and f-keys.

Just don't know. Pass for now might get back to you about it but don't hold it for me or anything

Cheers

wayne6707 likes this.
  9. Jipa

I'm currently using Tesoro Durandal Ultimate with backlight and brown switches.

10. wayne6707

I have had a look at the ducky shine and the qpad mk85 and i think i would be willing to give either a shot. The qpad has some appeal as the red backlighting would match up well with the rest of the setup. Are the qpad/ducky keyboards any good or is there likely to be any issues with the manafacturing of them?

11. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

they are definitely OK from what I've heard after very very extensive research :)

Having tried a TT Meka and BW, if the qpad and ducky are anything like the meka in terms if quality you will love it. Don't worry about that.

I wasn't a fan of the BW but almost certain qpad and ducky won't have those issues.

12. wayne6707

I have been looking at a few reviews of the qpad and am starting to think i have found what i am after. I can order this direct from qpad as well with whichever switch i want (red, blue, black or brown) and in whatever layout i want which is a big plus. Now i just have to decide if i can bring myself to part with 150 euros for a keyboard lol

13. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Yeah that was the hard part with me too lol.

Easier for me though because backlit wasn't a must, and I don't mind ANSI :)

14. wayne6707

just wanted to say thanks for the help and pointing me towards what i was looking for plus rep for those that helped

15. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Much welcome!

16. Jipa

My points for the price are:
    1. I sit on the computer for hours every day, I want to use the best gear available when it comes to use comfort
    2. Rubber dome keyboards tend to wear out in a year or two so with any luck a mechanical board will out last a good few of those
    3. If you still ARE going to ruin the damn thing by pouring some beer on it, at least it should be a good reason to cut down the drinking ;)

But yeah I'll be VERY surprised if you find anything wrong with the Qpads! I reviewed all of them a while back, and after receiving some new samples (more of that later) I still think I personally prefer the Q's...

17. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Just been on their site and seen this also, which switches will you go for ?

18. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

If it was me I'd get reds for sure

Browns are just similar to rubber domes imo, smoother and nicer but essentially the same in essence except you don't have to bottom out and it feels nicer. The tactile bump is right at the top as well. Blues feel sufficiently nice but again, not THAT much of an improvement (imo) unless you value the noise. I just felt ripped off as in my opinion the improvements over a rubber dome don't justify the price hike. Well no, I take it back - actually they DO (comfort level over some terrible domes is just huge), but not as much as the other choices:

Now blacks and reds are completely new and different. The linear switch feels unique, smooth, awesome. Perfect for fast paced gaming and superb ninja action (I play tons of FPS and Dota, just getting into RTS).

And seeing as I have blacks already, I believe the light red switches are faster and delicate which matches my precise and subtle play style and so I'm dying to try it out.

Of course all I've said may be complete rubbish, feel free to criticise :)

19. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

See I think that blacks feel very boring, I love the blues and browns.

20. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Yup! It's amazing how tastes differ.

To be honest I am going to go out and truthfully say that although I feel this way now, I am 90% certain that after using reds for a while I am going to find it boring and sucky and be longing for my browns back.

The main factor with me is that I can't use the same switch for too long. When I use one I miss the good points of the other and vice versa. It's a cruel story.