1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project BIO-A10 by E.E.L. Ambiense - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 23 Apr 2012.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

LOL, thanks man!

Thank you, man! It's appreciated!

Thanks, m8! Congrats on your rig completion!

:hehe: Best post of the day! Hahahah!

Thanks, bro! I doubt it, though. You've done that in spades in regards to weathering!

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

Log Update #14

Update time! I was able to spend a little more time in the shop working on the rig. I needed to continue with the decal application/removal/weathering, so let's get to that.

Moving to the window panel, I laid the decals roughly where I wanted them to go so I could get a feel for where they'll end up permanently.

[​IMG]

Let's start with the bottom one. Right there looks about good!

[​IMG]

Slowly and carefully peel off the transfer paper while watching the stencil to see if there is any lift...

[​IMG]

And after application of the other two, we're ready to mask off the rest.

[​IMG]

Back to the 3M Blue tape for the masking...

[​IMG]

Some quick and purposefully-uneven spraying of rattle-can poop...

[​IMG]

We're left with this. Let it sit for a few and remove everything and hit it with some wire-brush and sanding foam action...

[​IMG]

Done! Looks great. I'll build on top of this as well.

[​IMG]

Looks like it's been through hell n' back, which is obviously the idea.

[​IMG]

Moving to something else, I spent a few minutes progressing another step on the waterblock... She's now coated in a layer of black powder. I'll use this to build on top of.

[​IMG]

I like to use these crappy $1.49 900-pack of crap paint-brushes for quick and blobby application of the iron solution. Being the fact that the wife and I are both artists, we always have a plethora of brushes in the house, but I'm not using $20 real brushes on something like this! :hehe: I do have a better brush that I switch to for some more refined control/application though.

[​IMG]

And finishing up on the first application of the iron, she'll be ready to attack tomorrow some time.

[​IMG]

Just need to give it some cure-time, and I don't mean listening to "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me" either! :hehe: I preferred "Disintegration" anyways... :worried: I'm not a goth, but I used to play one in my teenage years.

[​IMG]

Alrighty, that's all I have for now. I'll be back with more. Thanks for tuning in and see you soon!

[​IMG]

3. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

And all is made clear.

Eastwood has a new aluminum-filled body filler (yes, but that's the right terminology, pedants) that'll survive powdercoating and that will take the charge so it sticks, and it comes in gallons. Thought you might like to know.

I swear I'm gonna redo my hood scoop in something like it-it collapsed again. Even after following the directions everyone else has been using about foam, and even though the lower panels are almost pristine by comparison. You have had unnaturally good luck with this case (but I hope it continues, as well!)

Looks good, but for weathering that, why not install the barbs and run the iron paint all the way up onto them, then rust them extra heavily there to suggest water seepage?

4. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

And people yelled at me for my pics...

5. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Where do you get the material to make those decals? How do you cut the lettering out?

6. E.E.L. Ambiense

Well...not quite clear yet. ;)

Wow, Eastwood. Haven't heard from them in a while. I used to get their catalog back in the day, but I guess I dropped off their list. Interesting about the filler; I'll have to look into it. When I was handling a lot of commissioned builds, I used a lot of Lab-Metal as well and it was a bit pricey. If the work kicks back up again, I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the info!

LOL, nah, no luck or anything. It's one of the effects of having case-modding as a profession; you just develop a 'feel' for how things will work out and figure things out in your head before you commit the rotary tool to the metal. But mistakes do occur on occasion, and will. It's part of being human.

Actually, no barbs here. He's provided some nice comp fittings I'll be using. I don't want the rust anywhere near the ports as I don't want it to make its way into the loop by accident. That would suck!

:confused: Why would they yell at you for your pics, man?

Digital plotter and vinyl. Graphic design background and I use(d) it for my side work/hobby which was commissioned mods as well as my own on occasion.

7. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Those paint effects look so sweet! Just looking at you pictures makes me wana start new case project. :)

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Wait... Where are you getting cheap brushes? All the local outlets have been muscled into selling only Crayola-dollar-a-pop brushes.

9. E.E.L. Ambiense

Log Update #15

Update time! I was able to spend a little more time in the shop. Let's get to it, shall we?

I hit the waterblock top with a little more love.

[​IMG]

Now, just wait for it to do its magic.

[​IMG]

The delightfully-cheesy compression fittings he handed over were these...

[​IMG]

Awesome. Fits right in! We sell these at work as well, but never really got to look at them. They're nice. Never been that familiar with Enzotech's products, but they're solidly put together.

It's a tight fit, but they work.

[​IMG]

I'll be back to the block later; it's not anywhere near done.

The front door. Now, here's a problem I've been trying to avoid messing with. Only now, I can't ignore it anymore. The front layered metal is most-likely held on by double-sided tape, knowing LiLi. This is a problem, because I can't hit it as one piece or it'll out-gas like crazy. Let's take care of it. I decided I was going to drill a series of holes to hold the front metal onto the door itself, since the double-sided tape will be removed. I figured button-heads will fit in nicely. And it'll look cool, ya know?

Marked out and ready to drill.

[​IMG]

I made sure that I placed the screws so they'll cleanly sit just underneath the door's hinge/frame assemblies that run along the edge of the door itself. Measurements showed I could just fit a 6-32 x 1/4" screw along with the nut and it'll allow installation of the hinges, so I went for it.

I went ahead and drilled all the holes, trusting my measurements would be fine. They rarely let me down, but it's possible!

Here's a quick test. Fitting a 6-32 x 1/4" button-head through the hole...

[​IMG]

...With just enough threads on the other side to allow installation of the nut...

[​IMG]

...Like so.

[​IMG]

It'll hide right under here. I can't do a whole lot about the other screws, but it's not an issue to begin with. I merely wanted to make sure the screws along the edges were going to be possible with the hinge assemblies installed, and it looks like it will work.

[​IMG]

And the hinge assembly dropped in...

[​IMG]

Perfect. It'll work just fine.

After marking/drilling the rest of the modifications to the front door like the front intake grill, I can finally separate these things and remove the bloody double-sided tape!

Yup, double-sided tape. Ahhh, LiLi. And from the feel of it, it's industrial-strength. Must be a 3M product!

[​IMG]

A quick trick to take these things apart for those LiLi people; bake it in the oven for a few minutes, or hit it with a heat-gun if the mom/wife/dad/parole officer won't let you at the oven or you don't have an industrial shop at your disposal! Trust me, you don't want to sit there for an hour or more trying to pry them apart and not getting anywhere.

The remnants of the tape is going to be a pain in the arse, but I have some things that will remove it that doesn't involve fire. Oven cleaner! :thumb: I use it to destroy/break down the anodizing on aluminum. Works perfect when you don't have access to or feel like media-blasting (and wasting the supplies on) the medium.

[​IMG]

This stuff is nasty. I was sticking it to my hand and trying to throw it off; doesn't work. It will remove skin if possible. :hehe:

[​IMG]

Moving on to something else while the oven cleaner does its job, I decided to add some more decals to the panels. Let's get to that.

This one will be two colors, but no major difference in procedure for adding it, just being a little more careful is all.

[​IMG]

After applying the first pass...

[​IMG]

It's ready for some paint.

[​IMG]

A few quick sprays and let it set for a few minutes...

[​IMG]

Now we can apply the second pass. This takes a little more finesse, as you need to "trap" the first color so there's no panel showing if you're off registration a bit. Man, almost felt like I was back in front of my print-wheel and some t-shirts again! ...I miss it. :(

Carefully applied...

[​IMG]

Carefully peel off the transfer paper...

[​IMG]

And it's ready to accept some more paint.

[​IMG]

After spraying and letting it set up for a few minutes, time to peel!

[​IMG]

And some wire-brush and sanding foam lovin', and it's ready for some more weathering later on when the time comes. Came out good though.

[​IMG]

Back to the front panel...

After hitting the front door's parts a couple times, and some putty-knife and mouse-sanding later, I finally have some metal to work with.

[​IMG]

I continued working on the little "damage/rusted area" where the LED extensions used to reside. ...No, contrary to what you may be thinking, that's not an aluminum vagina! :hehe:

[​IMG]

I'll have some more later on. Although I'm ready to proceed with the secret plans for the front door, I'm, frankly, pooped. I need to relax and have a cold ginger beer. I'll be back soon though, and with more to share. Thanks for looking in!

[​IMG]

10. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

perfect. I'd love that distressed "WARNING" on my Shop door.

Ahh, Thanks for the daily dose, now I can leave my chair and start my day :clap:

11. madmaik[D]

madmaik[D] What's a Dremel?

I like your rusty Style.

12. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

nice progress there! :)

13. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

Like Bill said, I've been checking this thread pretty much daily since you started up again... my workday would not be complete without some immediate production-sapping E.E.L. updates! I love the log, and as always you set the example for others to aspire to. Amazing as always.

14. Dragulax99

Dragulax99 What's a Dremel?

i'm hooked on this build ....:rock:

15. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I'm pretty sure it IS an aluminum va-jay-jay! :lol:

I want a plotter! Oh, and your skills at painting decals! :thumb:

16. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

We need our Mod Fix, Please E.E.L.!

btw, prometheus opens in one week :clap:

17. E.E.L. Ambiense

Hahaha, I think it'd fit in nicely too. That door already looks so ominous and foreboding, like if you pass through these gates you shall be within the Land of MOD! And having passed through those very gates myself in person, it certainly was. :rock: Hopefully, I will again some time in the future when things have gotten a little better down here. It'd be awesome to say hey again to Braddy, Mrs. Bill, Foamy, Randy etc.! Randy, hahaha, "NOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!"

Thanks!

Thank you!

Hahaha, I appreciate it, man. I'm trying to keep them coming as quickly as I can, but I can't rush things too much.

Hahaha, thanks!

LOL! Personally, I'm not one for rusty ole va--- well, nevermind. :hehe:

Hahah, I'm sorry man! I'm trying! Yesterday was our "monday" at work since we were off for Memorial Day so we have 11 hrs of straight unadulterated order-filling to deal with. I plan on getting some more work done in the shop this evening as I've had some stuff on the burner.

Believe me, I know....I've been following the Prometheus film progress since it was in principle photography like a hawk, so it's like coming home to me now that's its right around the corner. I'm REALLY looking forward to it....

And I've been diligently planning the work, layout, look and design and project log for the Weyland proje--- oooooh, :eek: nice try! Ahem, yes, I'm working on things. Yes. :hehe:

18. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

Interest piqued. Can't wait to see that one :clap:

19. E.E.L. Ambiense

Log Update #16 - The heart arrives

Update time! But don't expect any major surgery going on; either on the case or on my person. :D This should be considered a "soft" update. But not flaccid, so get your mind out of the gutter, you sick puppy! :hehe:

The UPS man dropped off a package while I was at work, and I come home to find this waiting for me...

[​IMG]

:clap: Thank you dearly, Seasonic®! Let's check out this new gal, shall we?

Mind you, I'm not a review site nor do I have access to PSU test equipment so I can't run her to the edge of death and try to pop all the caps, etc., but what I am armed with is experience and the knowledge gained from said experience and knowing what I'm looking at. And what I'm looking at is probably one of the best PSUs on the market, if not THE best IMHO.

I've been a fan of Seasonic® for years. I've purchased their PSUs for years. I've recommended their PSUs to friends not "in-the know" for years. I've recommended them to siblings and acquaintances for years. I recommend them to customers through work looking for an honest assessment on the state of PSUs in the marketplace.

The bottom line is, I believe in their products. And not because they agreed to sponsor this build, but because they're the PSU experts. I have never had any of their PSUs blow on me. And I've built a lot of machines for either myself or clients with them. Sure, I've used other brands, but I always come back to Seasonic®. I'll even use PSUs from other manufacturers that Seasonic® OEMed. :hehe: Example would be Corsair's first-gen HX series 520 & 620 models; both Seasonic® units underneath all that Corsair branding.

There are other wonderful PSUs out there in the wild. But Seasonic® has never let me down. I still have an old S12 running to this day. Not one hickup. Can you say that about just any PSU? Depends on the person, I suppose. Luck of the draw? Sure. But I think it's a little more than that.

One of the first pieces of advice I give out whenever anyone cares to ask my take on building a computer is, "Sorry I will not be your tech-support! Don't text me at 3am 'cause you borked your rig OCing!" Oops. Well, that too, but.... sorry. :D

No, it's always choose a solid PSU because it's the heart of your system. It keeps it running. It keeps it alive. It keeps the voltage running steadily to your gear. Seriously... you really want to skimp on that top-of-the-line PSU for something cheaper so you can get that set of RAM that has exactly the same bloody ICs on it from the other, more vanilla-looking kit you were eying too but decided you wanted the stupid machine-gun shaped heatsinks instead?! You deserve having your system keel on you. Alright, that's a little harsh, but still. Don't be a moron, dude.

If you think you have the chops to build your own computer system, at least buy stuff that's a step up from that piece-of- [​IMG] D HELL you have sitting on your desk. And for all that is holy, stay away from the bloody gamer-focused crap! Flashy lights and crap all over the PSU? It's probably a turd in a box. You don't want a turd in a box in your box, do you? Please, buy a decent PSU! My favorite analogy when I start getting sarcastic and perhaps a little scathing is, "Oh, you're looking at buying that Powmax instead of the PC Power & Cooling to save a few bucks? You'd be better off pulling the pin on a frag grenade and tossing it inside your case and hoping it doesn't explode! Come on, it's even in the name!"

Alright, enough soap-boxing, eh?

I've used a 1000w unit of these for a commissioned build in a Fractal Design case a few months back for a client, and he was nothing but completely stoked about his system. Quiet and reliable. And beautiful!

Seasonic® really cares how their flagship PSUs are presented. A lot of care went into the packaging and design of things. I appreciate that. Simple, yet elegant. It lets the customer know, "Yeah, we know this thing's dipped in gold platinum" without being rude about it!

[​IMG]

I love the cable packs. That is so thoughtful!

[​IMG]

A bundle or two of a few cables I'll need to have a play at when the time comes. Of course, Seasonic®'s job on the sleeving at factory does the job just fine.

[​IMG]

Some cable ties, velcro-straps, a screwdriver (as if someone who would be installing one of their PSUs wouldn't have their own but I digress).

[​IMG]

And the gal herself...

[​IMG]

Man, she's even bagged in velour like she's a nickel-plated 1911 collectable handgun! :hehe:

[​IMG]

She's a beaut. Seriously. I think this is the perfect PSU. I'm almost sad to even mod anything on her!

[​IMG]

Modular hookups are all laid out perfect. You can't really screw that up, but it's still appreciated that you know where everything plugs in at, etc. so stupid mistakes can't happen.

[​IMG]

This thing up here is really intriguing.

[​IMG]

I love that you can run the fan normal (always on) or hybrid. It's awesome that you get a choice! Speaking of choice-- when Seasonic® asked which model Platinum I'd like, I requested the lower wattage of the two. 1000w is total overkill for a single-card setup that is going in this build. Hell, 860w is, but I didn't think it really needed the big one.

Look at the rails, here... Come on, all the power you'd ever need! 71A on 12... LOL. All he'll ever need. To paraphrase Solo, "She actually does look like it, kid, and she's got it where it counts!"

[​IMG]

Oh, now that's just a bloody invite!

[​IMG]

Inside the gal, I see a familiar fan hub...San Ace 120mm fan. Sanyo Denki unit with ball bearings. That fan will probably outlast me. :hehe:

[​IMG]

This PSU is just an absolute dream. I really think this is the perfect PSU; and if not, damn close to it. Thank you dearly, Seasonic® for the support and belief in what I'm doing here. On behalf of the person this build will be going to as well as the man who will be messing around with it (me!) -- Thank you. :clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, time to get to work on those cables...

I'll be back and with some more to show. Thanks for tuning in and see you soon!

[​IMG]

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I am a total seasonic convert when i bought their 400W Fanless, black and gold, beautiful everywhere.

Please don't harm her