1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project BIO-A10 by E.E.L. Ambiense - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 23 Apr 2012.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

JB weld would have done that too. In fact, if just painting it with rust solution, bondo is waterproof. Learned it wetsanding show car hoods in my youth.

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Actually, JB Weld outgasses too much so it wouldn't work in this particular situation. It can withstand 500-degree temps, sure, but not without outgassing so it won't work for what I'm doing here.

3. KayinBlack

Point taken. You must be planning something interesting, then.

A lot of the stuff within Knight's Rest has been done with the $1.99 two-part epoxy putty from Harbor Freight. I'm not aware of any outgassing or shrinkage from it, and it's sandable, paintable and even tappable. Reminds me that I still need to get some to finish the battery holder in the case. Reshaping all the plastic has been fun.

4. E.E.L. Ambiense

:)

JB Weld works well on engine blocks too, lol. It's great stuff, definitely.

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

This is really honestly horrific.

Your build on the other hand is lovely :)

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'm not sure why you were inspired to do THAT to a spider, but I will say your aim is impeccable. :eyebrow:

stonedsurd likes this.
  7. E.E.L. Ambiense

:hehe: Good god, I believe that is the most disgusting thing I've heard. Today, anyway.

8. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Careful, they'll send in reinforcements....

[​IMG]

Yes, those are water bottle caps.

9. KayinBlack

At least solifugids aren't poisonous.

10. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

oh man, can it be page 8 soon so I dont need to see them damn big spiders everytime someone posts something?

Also, I fudging love rusty stuff, and I know EEL can make some nice rust!
    Glad your workspace is cleaned out, you know, for making more of that rusty stuff we like!

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Right-Click - Adblock Plus:Block Image:thumb:

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Oh Cheaps.. Even my mind didn't go there :lol::lol::lol:

13. Cheapskate

@Mankz - I knew this guy... We heard stuff about him... My mind was forced there ages ago.:(

EEL! Your best bet is to do what we have been forced to do to a few properties: Nuke it from orbit.
    -Step one: Treat the yard with garden insecticide. make sure to get any venting in the house's eaves, drainage gaps in the brick, and plumbing and AC entry points.
    -Step Two: Turn off the gas and BUG BOMB THE EVERLIVIN' SH*T OUT OF THE HOUSE. Include the attic and garage. This can also be tricky because it involves leaving for 24 hours.
    -Optional step: Stuff a bit of mothball in the wall through plumbing entry points and under appliances. This bit can be tricky since mothballs make poison gas and stink. The other option is to blast the holes with expanding foam.

Also, unscented Raid is your friend. Just don't spray where the kid can lick it.

Last edited: 22 May 2012
  14. E.E.L. Ambiense

Camel sprides freak me out. :hehe:

Just have to worry about them stealing your wallet!

:hehe: Sorry, I'm working as fast as I can! It'll be over soon. Just close your eyes and think good thoughts...like GETTING RID OF THE SPIDER PICS!

:thumb:

It's just, they keep comin' back. I think I'll just burn the place down or something. That'll teach them! Wait-- that's...probably not a good idea though. Hmm....

And in other news....

Welcome Seasonic! Makers of the BEST PSU in the world. Seriously. BEST.​

[​IMG]

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

Log Update #13 - Welcome, New Sponsors!

Update time! Lucky 13 too! And it's also time to welcome some new supporters.

Welcome, Seasonic, Mayhems, and Performance-PCs!​

Your help is graciously welcomed, and sincerely appreciated!

Alright, now on to the update. I was able to get a little bit of work done, but not a lot.

Continuing the next layer of "weathering" on the panels, I hit it with another dose of iron solution, followed up by the copper sulfate.

[​IMG]

To continue with the randomness, I would douse it on or carefully brush it on depending on where I was at on the panel.

[​IMG]

I would think if there were some kind of horrid...something....leaking inside something this dingy, I'd think it would coalesce in the corners, so I put it on a bit more there.

[​IMG]

Moving on to something different, let's mess around briefly with the front door, shall we? It's been ignored up to this point too so it's feeling a little socially cast-aside. :hehe:

[​IMG]

Here's the panel with the vinyl application of pseudo-carbon fiber stuff. Personally, I hate it. The application was expertly-done looking at it in a critiquing sense, but personal taste is the deciding factor. ...Bye-bye!

[​IMG]

Time to peel that mamma-jamma off there.

[​IMG]

Ah, nice clean metal to violate. Like a robot sex-fiend at a vending machine factory! :hehe:

[​IMG]

I think I'll cut through a little area where these LED extensions are, as if the front panel started being eaten away by oxidization or something. I dunno. Flyin' blind, ya know? The way I like to do it.

[​IMG]

Right about here...

[​IMG]

Maybe something like this?

[​IMG]

Heh heh heh...

[​IMG]

Moving on to something else! I spent some time in front of the ole design program of choice and whipped up some decals or whatever for me to work off of for the chassis and cut them on the plotter real quick.

[​IMG]

I'll start with the mobo side panel, as it's more like a test to feel out the technique. I haven't done this in a while so I may be a little rusty. ...Get it? Rusty? You know, because of the rust on the case? Bahhhh, forget it. :hehe:

Right about here looks good!

[​IMG]

Now, another favorite of mine is, yet again, a 3M product, Mr. Blue. I love this stuff. Use it for low-tack situations so you don't ruin that delicate or destroyed-on-purpose paint-job.

[​IMG]

Applied to case where I want it...

[​IMG]

And start to mask off the rest of the panel to protect it from over-spray. Rattle-cans suck!

[​IMG]

Applied the next decal that will be on this panel as well where I want it...

[​IMG]

And all masked off! There. Done. What do you think? :hehe:

[​IMG]

I started to hit it with some lacquer rattle-can paint that I had left over from god-knows-what. I like to hit it unevenly on purpose, so it has some more faded areas than the others.

[​IMG]

And all done.

[​IMG]

I like to wait just a few minutes.....yes, just a few minutes, and remove the stencil as quickly as possible. If you time it right, you can get some wonderful tears and stuff in the paint. I used this same technique on my C.M.C Field Server build that Bill still occasionally references when on the subject of weathered cases (thanks, bro!). I didn't want that much "damage" so I waited a little longer on the time. The kind of damage I want is abrasive damage. Like from wire brushes, for instance. ;)

Here we go...

[​IMG]

And attacking it with a wire-brush and sanding sponge and my own teeth for a few mins, being careful NOT to breath in any of the dust released from the paint (seriously kids, use a facemask!), I'm left with this.

[​IMG]

I'm happy with it for the most part, but I'll continue with the "weathering" some more. :)

[​IMG]

That's it for now, folks! I'll be back with more soon. Thanks for tuning in and see ya soon!

[​IMG]

16. Foregasm

Foregasm What's a Dremel?

i can't even come up with a witty metaphor that would do this justice. absolutely outstanding work E.E.L.

17. Blooddrunken

Blooddrunken In Flames we Trust

5Stars definitely :thumb:

18. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Looking awesome mate, really nice!

19. Cheapskate

I sure hope this rig doesn't need to clear customs...

20. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Last edited: 26 May 2012