1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Older PC - Upgrade Time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by soopahfly, 23 Dec 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Then stop acting like a child and maybe you'll earn some respect. As for turning threads into shitstorms? yeah, posting childish pictures and dropping lines like the last one there are a sure fire way to do that.

So come on, run Cinebench on that 920 of yours and substantiate your claims. Because looking at this -

121.FX8320@5.0GHZ - nkata
    119.i7 930 @ 3.9Ghz - humbug

It's pretty clear to see that an FX CPU can be brought up pretty close to the single threaded performance of an I7 like yours. The main difference being that with an FX there are 6 or 8 full fat threads running, so when they're all being properly utilised they will beat the I7 quite comfortably.

And you can add the 2500k to that too. The FX 6 will come closer than you think in gaming.

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

It's probably best to just close this thread now - looks like Soopafly has decided what kit to go for and there's no point in continuing this absolute car crash of a thread any further. Not a good advert for bit-tech, to be honest - I like this place because 99% of discussions are informed, rational and well-mannered, but this isn't doing anyone any favours.

3. soopahfly

soopahfly Minimodder

But how much needs to be spent on ram, cooling and fancy motherboards to achieve that?
    You may have well just bought the i7.

I just want fast out of the box.
    I don't want to fart about with ram timing and fsb.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited: 27 Dec 2013
  4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

5. AlienwareAndy

Eh? one of those rigs is running a £59 motherboard (this one)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/M5A97-R2-0-...UTF8&qid=1388158667&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+am3+

And can hold 4.3ghz on a 8320 running a cooler I paid £15 for second hand. The 6300 has two less cores, so should be good for 4.5ghz easily on one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cool...TF8&qid=1388158725&sr=8-1&keywords=arctic+a30

I even detailed how to clock one in my thread. Don't worry about your ram, it's easily off set to keep it under the spec.

I suggested all of this on page one. The board, CPU and cooler cost less than a 4670k and the board does not skimp on VRM cooling, so you'll get a more than respectable clock out of it.

The saving can then be passed onto something like this.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-323-AS&groupid=701&catid=56

For example and you'll have a much better rig for gaming than you will get by dumping £100 into a CPU. Here have a look at these. Benchmarks comparing the 8350 to the 3770k.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because basically BF3 uses 6 threads. BF4 uses 8. In BF4 the 8320 (£109) beats the 4670k (£180).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Surprised? don't be. All of those titles are GPU bound.

I just think you're under rating the 6300 so much that's it's not really fair. It will absolutely decimate what you have now, and keep pace with the 2500k in productivity terms (IE encoding and such where it's fully utilised).

6. AlienwareAndy

I didn't miss anything, including but not limited to -

1. The name calling from you, first once again.
    2. The childish 'wind up' twelve year old pictures.
    3. The one liners purposely typed to try and wind me up.

You've got one thing correct here - I have Asperger's Syndrome. However what you don't know about the condition is that it comes with a very high level of intelligence. Let's just say my IQ is more than above average, as is my understanding of human nature. You seem to be using a twelve year old wind up tactic on me. Cute, real cute. Sadly, just like last time when I referred to you as an Nvidiot you seem to have missed the irony. But that's OK.

7. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

What about games that arnt GPU bound, like i said here:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=3472024&postcount=77

Your using gaming benchmarks where CPU's perform the same no matter what your running, but what about the more CPU intensive games? Again, like i said in linked post, OP should be able to play any game he likes, not just ones that dont utilize CPU's much.
    Like OP already said, Battlefield games run great on any CPU.

And lets not get into the advantages and disadvantage of Asperger's Syndrome, that would be ridiculous and i would fee like a bully.

Quote something i said that makes it ok for you to call me the things you have on this thread alone.

If that's true, its evidently working.

Do you have trouble walking through door ways with a head that big?
    Personly i think an intelligent person would rise above using words, insults and fazes like:

[​IMG]

8. AlienwareAndy

You're using old benchmarks. What about when the game is CPU intensive? OK look, let's take a look at all of the games from the last year that are worth having.

Tomb Raider. Is completely and utter GPU bound. It seems to make no difference what CPU you run. It uses about 18% of each core it used in my tests.

Metro 2033 Performs better on my 8320 clocked to 4.3ghz than it does on a mate's 3770k.

Why?

[​IMG]

Core load in Windows 8. Oh and just for the record, the result. Look at how many frames my PC processed - 4621

[​IMG]

Compared to the 3770k

[​IMG]

Now let's look at Tomb Raider.

[​IMG]

Wow I really need a £180 CPU for that ! I mean look at it eating up that single threaded performance :rolleyes:

BF3 the 6300 @ 4.5ghz will easily beat the 2500k. Mostly because when the game does call on the CPU it wants 6 cores. How about some Sleeping Dogs?

[​IMG]

Wow, look how terrible my frame rates are :rolleyes: Crap I better sell it quick and buy an Intel huh?

How about some Company of Heroes?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So in answer to your question? well basically it's easily answered. In any game released over the past year (and a small handful before that) more and more cores are being asked for. And when fed those cores? an £80 AMD CPU will more than justify itself. In fact, I think AMD like Intel have realised now that making more and more gaming CPUs is just a waste of time. And that games need to make use of stuff better, rather than continually pumping out CPUs that are not needed.

Crysis 3.
    Metro Last Light.
    Far Cry 3
    Battlefield 4
    Sleeping Dogs
    Hitman Absolution

All want and will use as many cores as you can throw at them. Mostly because of this.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen

The prophecy comes true.

As for Asperger's? you were the one who brought it up. You seem to think it gives me some sort of disadvantage.

Just shows your clear lack of intelligence. You seem to be very confident in the fact that you're winding me up and making me mad. But, as I've pointed out to you that just makes it more and more evident that you're a troll, and that's what you want and expect.

Yet oddly enough I've completely debunked your false statements and have more than proved my point.

Am I angry? no not really. I'm just posting more and more logic that is beginning to seriously chip away at your so called facts and figures.

Just face it. You're wrong, and completely behind the times. I would spend some time doing some research so that you're better advised when you tell people what hardware they should buy.

9. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Yawn.

I have followed this thread and think you should both simply stop this idiocy.

Both of have you have fired shots at each other. Both have tried to justify the purchase of a product but as the OP said he won't be buying AMD.

Which is his choice at the end of the day. None of this has been conducive to the unity of this community.

The Mothership

10. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

You have just shown there intel performs better, Also your talking about overclocking the AMD's again. This like for the 10th time is not happening in this build.
    Someone please lock this thread! OP has made his mind up with intel. Its over.

11. AlienwareAndy

He can buy what he likes. However, talking poo is, well, talking poo.

I'm quite capable of pointing out to liars how and why they are liars. If it was "Well AMD can't compete on performance, but smash anything else at price" or something a bit more honest, rather than a load of ********? fine. I would quite happily leave it here. But outrageous lies? sorry.

Yes quickly lock the thread before I post more facts and figures that show you up to be the liar you are.

That would be incredibly convenient huh?

From the opening post. An overclock is a simple, five minute job that only needs to be performed once.

I rest my case.

12. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

AMDs run hot, overclocking makes them hotter
    This build is going in a tiny low airflow case
    How are you not getting this?

13. AlienwareAndy

Ohhh I see so now they run hot !

But of course Haswells don't run hot. Again I think you need to do your research. FX CPUs will reach 68c before they throttle. Haswells will happily reach 100c.

I've said it to you once now, but again I will tell you - you are wrong. And the more you fail to see it the worse it gets.

CPUs to have -

No money? APU. Richland.
    Budget gaming rig - mid range gaming rig - 6300.
    Mid range - high end - FX 8320 (the '50 is a waste of time and money)
    High end rig - 4770k. Because it's only when we get to this level that Intel make anything that's unbeatable on performance to price. Oh, and that doesn't mean the 4770k is a good value chip, it just means that there is no AMD CPU to compete with it, so even if it were £800 it would still hold a value of some sort because AMD can't compete.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-6300+Six-Core

Noting quite closely value $$$

[​IMG]

Which oddly enough coincides with my opinion to the letter.

14. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

No one hurled insults at you merely didn't agree with your opinion, it's a subtle difference that you really should learn - after all, without learning it you will not be able to enter into debate without turning threads to nonsense. People posting meme's, is not the same, as directly calling someone an idiot, referring frequently to them as a monkey and telling them they have skat on their lip. You seem to react to everything with hostility.

You also keep circumventing the profanity filter - may I remind you this is a family forum used by members of all ages, so please use language reflective of that.

Continue down this road as much as you want Andy. Please refrain from directing your negativity at me, when all I have done is told you to treat other members with respect. I don't "have it out for you" - you keep proving that you can't control your temper and this isn't the place for you to express that - it's a tech forum where we help each other out and try and pass around a bit of knowledge.

15. soopahfly

soopahfly Minimodder

If you think they don't run hot, then you obviously know more than the manufacturers.
    The AMD is 35% hotter under usual load than the 4650.
    The manufacturers info shows it.

The fact that the intel won't throttle until 100 degrees shows it can handle the heat better.
    Although I've not seen any verifiable data to say that's their heat threshold.

If the usual load of a 6300 kicks out 125w of heat, you have to have a decent cooler to get rid of that heat.
    If you over clock, then that figure will be higher.
    You can't argue with that. It's the laws of physics.
    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

16. AlienwareAndy

OK to cover your points.

Firstly he started the name calling in one of his early posts. He then edited his post to remove it.

[​IMG]

But forgot that I'd already quoted it -

[​IMG]

As for opinions? no no, I don't come into hardware comparison threads (which is what they always turn into) with opinions. I come with facts, hence, one liners like "My old I7 can easily beat a FXCPU" = opinion (and an incredibly ill founded one at that). I post performance figures and facts.

Do I like calling people names? no, not really. However I do like a bit of irony, so you'll have to forgive me for calling a childish monkey a monkey. Do you condone the posting of stupid pictures with the sole intent to troll and wind people up? I doubt it. If I want that I will go to Linus's forum, which is filled with 'xbox users' (that's the polite way of putting it).

So now that you can see where the name calling began you may also be able to see the irony of my insults. IE - if some one lacks the intelligence to post anything worth reading then why not join them? given it's the language of choice for them.

As for scat on lips? that's what you get when you talk crap. Crap I've debunked and dismissed.

I apologise if I've caused any one else any annoyance here but one thing I absolutely abhor is liars and those who think their opinion counts as fact. I've spent a fair chunk of my adult life compiling data and facts for that very purpose.

Well I do apologise profusely for that. It wasn't intentional and I didn't realise that if you string together certain words they will bypass the filter.

With no offence intended - if you want to moderate a forum then by all means do so. However, do it fairly.

If you want me to treat annoying little monkeys who post trolling pictures and seem to relish in the fact that they may be insulting and or annoying me with any modicum of respect? well I'm sorry to say that I won't, and can't, do that.

I'm actually bitterly disappointed that individuals such as that are even allowed to hold accounts here. But hey, if you don't seem to mind it then what can I say? but don't expect me to like it. As I said, there are lots of forums scattered about the internet full of little trolls whose sole intention is to upset others and take relish that they may be upsetting them (and annoying them, making them mad and so on) but this place?

Let's just say I expected different. I don't waste my time on forums filled with children.

17. AlienwareAndy

Under pretty much any load my FX 8320 @ 4.75ghz (my clock of choice) runs no hotter than 53c on any core. I didn't make any statement, comment or opinion that they weren't as good as handling heat. I said that they don't run that hot because they have a heat throttle. Remove that throttle? (you can't, I'm just speaking theoretically) maybe they would run really hot as said, but the simple fact is that you just can't run them any hotter than 68c, ill design or not.

Intel obviously think that 100c or whatever is perfectly fine, but 100c is hotter than 68c.

The reason Haswells are so hot? the dies are too small to solder. The same rang true for Ivybridge. The reason is simple - they were not designed for desktops. And neither will any of the next gen Intels.

I read something a few weeks back. It was some guy's philosophy on life.

When the same argument can be used by both sides it's not an argument.

So I think I will leave the heat argument right there.

It's a gaming rig, it's going to get hot no matter what.

18. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Using AMDandy once hardly warrants your level of abuse andy does it now? Even that i thought was a bad idea and removed it almost immediately after posting like you pointed out because i didn't want to escalate your rage knowing your reputation on here.
    The reason a lot of my posts are edited is because i try to clean up my grammar and spelling afterwards.

Can you not take the multiple warnings from mods as a hint your in the wrong? And should maybe drop it and move on?

19. AlienwareAndy

LOL.

Your warped view of how the world works never fails to make me laugh. It wasn't just calling me AMDAndy though was it? it was continued baits and trolling. If you fail to see it try reading the thread over again.

Whether or not you removed it is beside the point - you posted it, I saw it. You can't take something back after you've said it, especially on the internet it doesn't work like that. At least my posts toward you still remain, IE - if you're going to say something don't bother doing it half assed and then thinking you can get out of it.

As for the warnings? as I've already pointed out to you and any one else, moderators included, I couldn't care less. Why don't you join up on Overclockers and start trolling and see how long you would last.

As I said to Margon, the bottom line is that I think you're a childish idiot, based on your behavior toward me. That's not going to change, so attempting to make yourself look clever by

A. Trying to dismiss me to make yourself look clever or
    B. Multiple attempts at getting the thread locked because of your own ignorance (get what you want, don't worry about the poor sod who was trying to get some advice before you trashed his thread with your childishness)

Why don't you be a man and control your fingers?

I'll play 'the last word' game just as well as you when I feel there's some irony to be had.

20. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I am holding my head in my hands wondering why Andy insists on continuing this train wreck debate.

Yes Otis called you AMDAndy, whats the deal it is kind of true. The images where not meant as trolling but more to lighten the mood which you have completely missed. This kind of boils to I AM RIGHT, YOU ARE WRONG. And there is nothing you can do to change my mind.

You can post benchmarks all day every day. But the OP has stated already I do not want AMD products, He isn't overclocking his CPU etc etc

Something you completely miss with every post you make. Frankly this is absurd behaviour is beyond me.

Yes Otis insulted you, yes he posted images but it was you who continued to post insults as the thread went on.

This reminds me of several threads derailed by you, arguing with other members about which manufacturer is best/better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.