1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Seen anything cool on the road lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by docodine, 2 Aug 2009.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Mini 1275 GT, looks and sounded original

[​IMG]

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

[​IMG]

I still see the V8 Vantage S belonging to one of our parents in school and around town. Of all the mildly realistic supercars, the Vantage is very close to the top of my list as well.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

For me it's basically perfect - Big engine, small car, V12 suppleness, those looks, that noise, rare as hen's teeth but not so overtly exotic as to feel the need to hide your face rolling down the high street, and the louvers offer just a hint to the uninitiated that this is no normal Vantage.

Mmmmmmmmmmm.

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

Surely a V12 Vantage S would have more want? :p

Lovely motor though! I'm stuck between a V8 Vantage S and an F-Type R Coupe as a mildly realistic toy in a few years time.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Not quite that clear cut for me.

Yes, what man wouldn't want a 10% power hike, however I'm thinking I'd rather opt for the Non-S variant, for the same reason I'd pick an Aston over something Italian and flambouyant. With all of the overtly "sporty" details on the S, it just feels to me like it's trying too hard. I'd go for a DB9 over a DBS as well, for the record - the shape of either the Vantage or the DB9 is plenty sporty without having to add gaudy jewellery.

Vantage vs F-Type though, that's a tough one. Vantage barely pips it for me on account of the Aston name (call me shallow). Both fantastic cars in their own right, and two of the best looking cars on the road, however I think driving an Aston would give me a warmer, fuzzier feeling pootling down the road than "just" a Jag.

I do peruse Vantages on AutoTrader occasionally, cost of entry is startlingly low even for a decent example these days. I do occasionally look back and wonder if I should have got something like a base spec Golf TDI or 116ED for a commuting slag and got spendy on a weekend car like that, but I suppose the grass is always greener.

The man that owns the car above also doesn't have kids, which is where I've gone wrong :D

Last edited: 10 Jun 2014
  6. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Not strictly "on the road", but whilst I spent the day in Canary Wharf today I saw these at the motor expo. I wish I could afford any of them...

Batmobile replica:
    [​IMG]

Lexus LFA:
    [​IMG]

Tesla Model S:
    [​IMG]

Aston Martin Vantage V12s:
    [​IMG]

Yes, even better than yours Mister Tad. :D

and my two favourites:

The Volvo V60 Polestar:
    [​IMG]

and the Jaguar XFR-S estate. Phwoar:

[​IMG]

I also saw a lot of Jag F-types, but I got bored of those as there were over 10 of them...

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Having personally driven (myself, by now) an F-Type, I long for one. A V6S one, to be specific.
    I also know that owning one instantly makes people hate you, especially if you tend to come home late or leave early.
    It does NOTHING anywhere near quietly. Constantly popping, banging, coughing, etc.

As a somewhat popular motor publication once said (paraphrased):
    "While the V8s sounds like artillery fire in the distance, the V6s sounds like small arms fire in the next room."

On top of that, the F-Type looks amazing (especially in white), and I really REALLY like the Coupe (though I have not seen one outside the internet yet)

8. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles

Passed by this going west bound on the A5 near Tamworth tonight.

[​IMG]

Okay it's just a 2004 Bentley Continental GT; what's odd about that ?

Well according to the DVLA the car is not supposed to be Black and Red :D

Date of Liability - 01/12/2014
    Date of First Registration - 30/07/2004
    Year of Manufacture - 2004
    Cylinder Capacity (cc) - 5998cc
    CO2 Emissions - 410 g/km
    Fuel Type - PETROL
    Export Marker - N
    Vehicle Status - Licence Not Due
    Vehicle Colour - WHITE
    Vehicle Type Approval - M1

9. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

I'd hazard it's wrapped. Saw a metric ton of old stuff driving past a classic car show yesterday. Nothing I have pictures of (as I was driving) But a fair few new GT3's, lots of old rollers, elise's, and some Sierra Cosworths. Ohh and a Dodge Charger. *drool*

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

A brand spanking new Porsche Boxter.
    I am not super fond of Porsches, but that one, in white, is STUNNING. Much want.

11. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Saw a red F-type Coupé on my way home last night, first one I have seen and yes, much wanting indeed.

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

I hear you and it makes sense. The V8 Vantage is the one that really needs a bit more poke - the S felt like an altogether more connected machine. That said, they are getting staggeringly cheap - affordable, as they say. And I know what you mean about the Aston badge.

I've wanted to own an Aston for a long, long time - long before the F-type came along - and it's still a car I'd like to have in the garage. Preferably a Vantage S, but I wouldn't kick a V8 Vantage out of the garage if one turned up one day.

A mate of mine has a Vantage S - just the way it fires up made me long for it one even more. Anyone who takes the piss out of Aston's "Emotion Control Unit" key system needs to hear the thing fire up in the flesh - it certainly gets the emotions going for me and it still gives my mate the goose bumps. Just hope you have understanding neighbours that are also up early on a Sunday morning. :D

If/when I go down the kids route - something I'm planning - I'd probably be able to get a C63 past the better half on the virtue that it's got four doors and five seats. The big, brutal V8 wouldn't matter too much as it'd mainly be a weekend car. We'd consider getting an EV for the shopping trolley in a few years to help offset a big V8.

I saw an F-type Coupe in white the other week, it is an absolute sight to behold. Still rare, but I think they're going to be damn popular - I see a lot of F-type Roadsters around London. Most are either V6/V6S models rather than the big V8S. I'd probably go down the V6S route with an F-type Coupe, but as one motoring journalist recently said... you'll be upset that you didn't get the V8R so you can lay black lines wherever you go. I guess the C63 could easily take that role. :D

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I doubt the V6S struggles to put down lines anywhere, unless it's at speed. It's not exactly under powered.
    That said - it's no match for the V8R (I think most people tend to ignore the fact that there's a V8S, in roadsters at least - not sure of the coupe, as well).

Edit:
    The C63 is a GORGEOUS car to me. The current gen specifically. Sounds great, looks good (the minor facelift they did is great), and it goes decently.
    I live on a hill, and there's one bolting up that hill every morning. Gorgeous sound, except for the Gearbox in eco-mode making the shifts sound less than brilliant.
    Older models are becoming quite affordable here, what with them being hooned around and not exactly cheap to run or maintain.
    I will miss that 6.2l V8.

14. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

http://youtu.be/j4wCYLTy-6w

Sent from my SM-T325 using Tapatalk

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

You are, of course, right (assuming you were pointing out that i misspelled Boxster). That one always catches me out. :p

911s leave me cold.

16. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Loads of Jag F-types booting it round the twisty roads just over the borders into Scotland at the weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

More that it's not really a Porsche :D

18. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I know you're just joking, but the new Boxter / Cayman really are fantastic cars right now - generally even better than the 911 which has become a bit big and expensive.

Check this out:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/video-porsche-boxster-gts-driven

I should say that I say this as a complete arm chair pundit, all of these cars are well out of my price range - booo. :D

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I know a lot of people say that, and I get why. PROVIDED Porsche doesn't really leave you cold.
    Given all the money in the world, I am pretty sure a 911 would be part of my collection, but only something mad like a 911 GT3 RS.
    I reckon that the new Caymans are really good cars, and probably very enjoyable. And better looking than flattened beetles to boot. :p

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yep, agreed. The C63 is a car with so much want for me at the moment. That sound. Ohhh, that sound. :)