1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The weight loss thread

Discussion in 'General' started by mansueto, 25 Feb 2013.

1. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Having got down to my lowest weight (since stopping rowing regularly) of 95kg prior to going on holiday to New Zealand last Christmas. My weight ballooned to just south of 110kg, mainly due to comfort eating due to work related stress and dissatisfaction.

Now I've moved jobs (and settled in), I have managed to get it back under control, and I have lost 7kg since mid-October (~1st 1lb) and I'm down to 101kg.

Aiming for sub 100kg for Christmas so *fingers crossed*

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Got a couple of friends who started going to the gym, just doing big 'compound' exercises I believe (squat, deadlift, benchpress I think) 3 times a week and they've both noticed a difference in just a couple of months, so I'm going to be joining them in the new year (when I come back to uni)

First time in my life I'm actually going to commit to it rather than trying little things here and there, feeling excited :D

3. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Now this is what I like to see, pre Christmas positivity! :)

4. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

+5 pounds.

damn.

Back to the gym.

5. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Fell going up the stairs last week and landed right on my knee, did a workout, knee not feeling good at all. Been icing it and taking it easy this week since I can't really do the squats / deadlifts / lunges with said knee. Decided to shovel some snow yesterday to compensate. Hopefully by next week the knee will be alright again.

Also, I have a super crappy digital scale so I have no clue if I've actually lost anything. It goes up and down so I'm just trying to avoid looking at the damn thing regularly.

6. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Can't bring myself to get on the scales yet. Feeling hungry today but I can't tell if it's because I successfully under-ate yesterday, or just because my system is now hooked on mountains of chipolatas, marzipan, cheese & chutneys, and general dried fruit goodness.

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I've been the same weight for a week now, bang on 14st. As soon as I see the magic number "13" (even if it's twice, 13st 13lbs is still magic) I'll be very happy.

Been hitting the weights hard (currently doing a workout lol) and been pretty stringent with my eating most days. But New Year's is still to come, and with it, lots of celebratory grub...

8. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I don't use the scale anymore because of the weights I'm pushing but from a waste size 44 to now a 36 I'm not complaining and I weigh more than before I started weights.

But two things I have found out which to more that are important is sleep ( rest ) and water. I get my heart rate up during my cardio days to around 150 to 165 at 45 min sessions. I actually love cardio now and cannot get enough of it.

Leg day is a killer for me as the next day at work I'm stuffed as I'm on my legs all day at work. But gym now takes up most of my free time. Last time I weighed myself it was at 18.5 stone

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Not weighed myself in months & I've gained 2.4 stone bloating to 16.4 stone making me feel a bit sluggish, better eating & an hour exercise per day should get me to my 14 stone best in a couple of months if I stick with it.

2015 is going to be interesting with giving up smoking, improving diet & exercising, I set the 1st of March for this goal & I'll pop back in this thread to say if I stuck with it & if it worked, I don't usually bother with new year resolutions. :D

Edit :lol:

Custom title needs to change, Mmmm donuts, guess it's gonna change to Mmmm peaches. :lol:

Last edited: 30 Dec 2014
  10. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Gym Session No. 100 :D

11. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

While I've never posted in this thread before, I've occasionally read some of the posts, but since it's the final 24 hours of this year, I think it's time to share my experience.

I'm 17 years old, 186cm in height, with a rower's build. At the beginning of this year I weighed 120kg, and I decided to lose weight and become fitter. Although it was a New Year's resolution, it didn't really start until March, so I consider my weight loss to be over the 10 months from then until now. I've just tried to reduce the size of my diet, in particular my dinners, since while I've always eaten healthily I simply ate too much. In addition, I've starting doing more exercise, with more regular rowing sessions (indoors during the cold weather and short days!) and some weight training thrown in.

I have a policy to only weight myself at the end of each month, and never at any other point. It's a way for me to keep pushing towards my goal without caring too much about the numbers. So at the end of March, seeing 116kg on the scales was a triumph for me! That continued, slowly but steadily working its way down. Some months I lost no weight, in others 4kg. Unfortunately in November I went up by 1kg due to comfort eating, but it was a good reminder that without constant effort it's easy to let it slip.

Despite the plethora of food at Christmas trying to distract me, this month I've lost 3kg, more than I expected to lose for certain! That puts me at 97kg. My next target is to get to 90kg, then evaluating how much more I need to lose. I know a 23kg loss over 10 months is nothing compared to what some of you guys have managed, but after struggling with my weight for all of my life it's an awesome personal achievement. In that time I've become stronger and fitter as well, which just makes me feel really good. But I'm not done yet! :thumb:

12. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Actually, I'm not sure many, if any, have managed a 23kg swing in 10 months. That's award-winning portion control right there. Good going.

13. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Ok fatties, it's the 5th!

Are we all ready to start getting fit for summer?

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

So had my first gym session this morning, wasn't too bad it's the diet I'm more worried about as that's all me whereas I'm going with a couple of friends to the gym who've been doing it for a while so I'll just do what they say, at least to begin with.

Getting up before 6 is a bit rubbish though, going to have to change my entire sleeping schedule and the way I work.

15. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Too scared to weigh myself. Over the last 4 years I have gone from a 32 inch waist to 38! I walked to work this morning which felt great and I'm using my fitness pal on my iPhone to keep track of what I am eating.

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I find that exercise is the easy part... disciplined eating is an effing nightmare! Too much chocolate lying around after Christmas!

Haven't weighed myself since the 1st... too scared lol.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've given up on the calorie counting for now, as an experiment: now I have a rough idea of what portions are *supposed* to look like, I'm hoping I can keep my food intake at a sensible level without the hassle of putting everything I stuff in my craw into an app. If I start putting weight on, it's back to the app for me!

One of my Christmas presents was a Fitbit Flex (actually, it was a rival fitness band which failed to work, so it was swapped out for a Fitbit) which I'm hoping might prod me into doing some actual exercise. Coupled with an Amazon Free App of the Day claiming to offer a bunch of different abdominal workouts, fingers crossed I can shape up a bit after the Xmas excesses.

18. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Very cool.

Husband bought me a Fitbit Charge HR for Christmas. So far it's been pretty fun to use.

First day back at the gym tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it can come out with.

The sleep monitor is certainly interesting.

Last night I woke up 24 times, according to the monitor!

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It turns out that I sleep like a corpse: of the generous nine hours I spent in bed last night, I only had eight "restless" minutes and no time awake. Which is actually untrue: I woke at least twice, once to have a drink, but the band doesn't appear to have registered that. Dunno if the heart-rate monitoring versions use that data for sleep monitoring; if so, I'd imagine your results will be a lot more accurate!

20. Scroome

Scroome Modder

It's fairly accurate, but it didn't get a few things right.

For instance, the stair tracker wasn't adding the stairs in my flat and apparently I managed to walk 200 steps whilst gaming on the sofa the other day. Most impressed with that feat.