Education The weight loss thread

Discussion in 'General' started by mansueto, 25 Feb 2013.

1. GeordieStew

GeordieStew Minimodder

15th December, the decorations came down from the loft, scales went up.
    4th January, the decorations went up to the loft, scales came down...

+5lb, which isn't bad considering :)

Takeaways are banned until 30th Jan, should have no problem dropping that 5lb by then.

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Today was the starting day for this year.

Had breakfast an hour ago with some vitamin D and a fat burner. Breakfast was 3 eggs, scrambled (used canola oil instead of butter, and very little) plus a splash of milk in the eggs. No salt or seasoning, still tastes fine. Tea with a bit of milk.

Was planning to do a dumbbell workout plus 30 minutes on the treadclimber shortly.

Lunch I'll probably make a tuna salad. 1/2 a bag of salad, can of tuna, white wine vinegar, some conola oil, green onion, cucumber, celery salt , italian seasoning, garlic powder. No more sugar crap, just water or tea/coffee in the morning.

Lets get it!

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Now that is a plan - sounds very similar to my diet! You should try tuna and eggs together if you haven't already... it's amazing!

4. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Need to get my act together so may as well log it somewhere.
    Couple of medical issues I'm not going to bore you with. Basics, no caffine and I need to be around the 12 stone mark to preserve use of my hip.
    About half way through last year I was diagnosed with a nasty intestinal bug so body went into starvation mode an no energy. Forced myself to try an stay fit but failed horribly.
    Got the all clear end of November and found I was 14st 9lbs.

Ok not hugely overweight but needs shifting. Diet have to be careful with but mainly fish, rice, eggs an veg avoiding ones heavy in iron. Fruit in moderation.

Physio an doc have given me the go to start exercising so long as I go back for regular checks.

So,
    Biking to work (25 minute journey) I have a cycle computer with GPS so I can race myself effectively, good motivator.
    Got a fitbit from my insurance company for some health plan I'm on this should push me to move about more.
    Weights at home started with light stuff using 10Lb dumbbells. Weighted squats, bicep curls, front raises, one arm rows and kickbacks.
    Also doing crunches which I hate with a passion.

Only started Monday but yeah, aching a fair bit so far

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

You'll start to ache pretty quickly if exercise is new for your body, but it'll adjust soon.

I've joined the uni gym and I love it - works out at approx £1 per week. I simply cannot complain.

6. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I have only just realised there is a weight loss thread on this forum. Awesome! And I mean that sincerely. I am on the weight loss course, much like many others and so far this year it's started well, albeit unintentionally. This little story may get a tad gross.

A week ago Sunday (4th) I had my first session of the new year. I did some yoga, pilates and around 40 mins cardio in the gym. At this point my scales had me at 218.2lbs (15st 8.2lbs - I'm only 5' 10 so this is a lot) and I was keen to get going, hence the busy Sunday. My plan was to do a couple weeks of cardio to get a bit of fitness going to makes things a little easier in the long run. However, on rolls Monday and after a restless night I feel gradually worse through the day and have frequent trips for to the bathroom. Then, once I get home after work, the next 36 hours are hell. Dropped 7lbs in two days. Very unpleasant (sorry!). The rest of that week and weekend are spent rehydrating and trying to get plenty of fibre into my system. Only today have things been back to normal and not, er, rumbly. Thus today I did a gentle-ish weights workout at home. Fortunately I have a decent little collection of disks, two bars and a couple of adjustable dumbbells.

Anyway, my weigh-in yesterday morning was 212.4lbs. Amazingly through eating lots of healthy food and drinking lots of water/squash/fruit juice and tea I have managed to hold steady.

My minimum target is to get below 13st (182lbs) before June, when I go on holiday. 30lbs in a week short of 5 months. Should be easy, right? If I can count correctly it's 21 weeks. Having just realised how long that is, I can do better than 182lbs. 2lb per week will drop me 42lbs... I guess my minimum target will be 12st then. Funny how sitting down and typing it out makes things a bit clearer. 12st is my happy pre-uni weight (gosh that feels like a long time ago now). I do want to put a bit of bulk back on though. Back in college I had a decent bit of muscle going and I want to get that back!

I think I have bored you enough. Keep up the good work everyone and I'll continue to keep you updated, unless I really annoy you with my long stories, then I'll go away :thumb:

7. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Sounds doable, if you can behave yourself week in/week out for that long. Good luck.

8. mansueto

I've been struggling with everything. Gotten lazy with my workouts, diet has been really meh, too cold to go outside and do any activities. I plan on playing softball come May, so hoping I can really start to clean everything up. I can't seem to hit the 2 week routine. After the first 2 weeks it becomes easy, but there's always stuff going on, and there's a distinct lack of self control. I really need to stop putting this off!

9. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

This helped me for a bit last year before I got a bad chest infection. I used the runtastic sit ups, push ups and squats apps to get myself into a daily routine of doing just some exercise. All you need is a phone and 15 mins. It's not amazing but it's a start.

10. mansueto

I think my problem was jumping right into a bigger workout routine (45-1 hour of dumbbell workouts) AND I keep trying to overdue the weights, instead of starting off lighter and working on my form.

Started this day off with some green tea, not too crazy about it, but people say it helps the metabolism and weight loss, so I'll try and stick with that for breakfast, plus yogurt / banana / eggs. My only issue with the runtastic app is there are separate apps for each exercise.

11. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Yeah, that is a bit of a pain with runtastic. There are plenty of others out there that have more than one exercise. Worth having a look.

12. mansueto

I definitely will. I also need to go back to the dumbbell workouts, I'll just tone down the weights to start with.

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

@mansueto, just take it easy, and whatever you do, don't buy into all the sh!t that passes for good nutritional advice. Many people believe that tea has special powers... it's all nonsense. Drink whatever you want and enjoy it; just don't add sugar and you'll be fine. Muscle is what helps the metabolism, as does a low-carbohydrate (especially refined sugar) diet.

I remember being offered "fat-burning" tea once. I had a good mind to take a swig and spit it in the person's face for being such a douche. :D

My goals have changed somewhat since I started going to the gym - I'm now much more focused on building strength and gaining muscle and not as bothered about losing weight, although I suspect that with all the exercise and relatively healthy eating, my body composition will change anyway. The important thing for me (and all other weight-lifters out there) is not to neglect cardio. ;)

14. mansueto

A ton of people swear by it, but I assume it's kind of like a placebo affect. I wasn't crazy about it (I drank it straight, no sugar or milk or anything). My regular beverages are water, coffee with milk, or tea with milk. I just need to really button down and watch my diet.

Edit: Remember not to skip leg day!

15. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Bugger. I need to find a new gym. I currently have a membership with a Virgin active gym down the road but it's a 25 and under price (£52 per month - got to love those London gym prices). Now I'm nearly 26 it's going up to £76 per month from March. Ouch. I am not paying that.

The plan now is to get the most out of it over the next 6 weeks and then try and keep up some good work by running and using my weights that I have here. If I can do that seriously for March, April and May I'll have an extra £150 for my holiday! Silver lining!

16. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Me and Mrs Behemoth have for the last 9 days been doing the Atkins diet.

I started at 21 stone 2, I'm now 20 stone 5.

So dropping all carbs and eating only protine does work, and work well.

17. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Good luck to you both :)

Just be careful.

That diet is not known for it's long term results. Lose the weight and then shift diets to something where your body is getting a good balance.

18. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Thats the thing, when you read into it there is in actual fact on going and maitenance plans included so you can keep control of it.

I've done slimming world before and lot of the principles in the Atkins are very simialr to the slimming world plan. Alot of my problem is eating too much and then not getting enough exercise.

19. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

By jove I think he's got it! :)

20. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Someone call an ambulance; because gurl just got burned.........etc etc