Scratch Build – In Progress Mr3D - Project Tatami (mATX computercase from scratch)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mr3D, 22 Mar 2015.

1. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

Thanks man. :)

Well, I'm using my jobs machines. For CAM, we use MasterCAM. Yes, it's expensive, I don't know how much, but my estimates is around 5000-10000€ for a license.

About the post-processor. It is specially written for that machine.

I can't help you with CAM software, but for a home-made machine my guess is that you are running MACH3 or LinuxCNC? Those 2 controller softwares run with regular G-code. So you could use the generic post-processor that comes with whatever CAM software you decide to use.

Yeah, I would totally vote 1 star on this build, why you ask? Slow updates! :wallbash:

2. CBud

CBud What's a Dremel?

This project is awesome can't wait to see it finished.

3. CMos

CMos What's a Dremel?

Neh I really don't like this project... oh hell who am I kidding this is awesome :clap:

4. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

While answering your comments, lemme give you a quick walk-through of my apartment. :D

Standard room lightning? Pfffff.... That's for beginners. How about industrial lightning? :D

The cold-white lightning will go nicely with the cold-white fluorescent lights. :D

[​IMG]

As a add-on to my previous answer, heres my kitchen...

I too, got a custom-made CNC. Bought a crappy manual mill and re-built it to 99% and CNC converted it... :D

[​IMG]

P.S. Guys, were back on the 5-star track! :D

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

My updates are slower than yours... :p

Teelzebub likes this.
  6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I gave you a star last night :thumb: I might not post much but I do like CNC work hence why I built my workshop, Might even do a walk around it one day :D

And yeah CAM software is outrageous prices I bought a Planet CNC controller board that has it's own software that's a lot cheaper and pretty good too

Anyway nice work mate, Oh Nexxo your project gone to sleep lately lol ?

Last edited: 26 Aug 2015
  7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The hell, Man? You growing weeds or something?:lol:
    Quite a battle over these stars.. almost like a war. ;)

Hell of a beefy spindle for a micro mill. Is that a lard can on the shelf?:eyebrow:

@Teelz - Bookmarked! Thanks.
    @Nexxo - Lets have a race to see who can post slower.

8. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

You sure about that... :lol:

A fully equipped workshop is a dream to work in! Tho, I feel the shop I work in need some more machines... :lol:

Your mill, it a home-made one? When you do a walk-around send a link in this thread. If not, I might not see it... :(

WHAT YOU DID THERE, I SAW IT! :p

Well, It was my first mill I ever made. Didn't have any knowledge with machine building and such before that. But this mill thought me a lot!

Nah man. It's a can for cookies(it says "Kakor" or it, Swedish word for cookies), but I got chocolate-milk powder in it. Yeah, I like to live dangerously. :naughty:

Another weekend of manufacturing! Made a new copper base for the CPU/VRM block and also a new cover plate/window(?) for the reservoir.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good thing I made some faults with the previous side-panels. For this(impulsively made) cover plate, I used some brushed aluminum I got laying around. Bored 5 holes in it(in the manual mill/drill press ofc), made a fixture for it in the NC mill, mounted it and milled the contour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was actually the first time I mounted anything in the mill with double-sided tape, but it went much better than expected. Milling to tolerance was no problem at all.

Tho I got much more burrs than I thought from milling the polycarbonate. Might be because of a slightly used end-mill. Might use a new one next time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm really happy with the result! A window completely flush with the aluminum. It's nice to be able to inspect the water-level. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A new copper plate in the making!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With a built-in thermal sensor.

[​IMG]

The fins are based of Rev 6,05. So, how long did they take to mill? Finished in 27h, but the mill broke when it was ~0.5mm left or something. So I changed the mill bit and restarted from where it broke. Took another 6 hours... A total of 33h, NOICE!

I should also add that this project passed 300h manufacturing time this weekend... :D

There won't be a update next week-end tho... :(

Until next time! :D

9. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

geez this is like total and utter pron right here! loving the in built thermal sensor in the block

Teelzebub likes this.
  10. Icelander

Icelander Minimodder

WOOOOOOOOOOW JawDropping

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Saaaweeeet. :D

Teelzebub likes this.
  12. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Uuuungggghhhhhhh....

Ruined pants....

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Is that a .1mm-ish BEVEL on all those tiny pins?:eeek:
    1st pass on polycarb does that even with new bits for me. It's never significant, though.

@B-neg - Pssh! Wearing pants.:lol:

14. FAT

FAT What's a Dremel?

:jaw drop: Oh my... This looks absolutely gorgeous!! And that copperplate with the fins is stunning! So much work, time and effort :thumb:!

Last edited: 3 Sep 2015
  15. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

As requested http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=3881018#post3881018

I bought a vacuum bed for that actually works well

16. cmd_

cmd_ What's a Dremel?

Yep, I use LinuxCNC. I tried some software, from opensource to really expensive ones. I noticed that if you want a decent program there is no one with a free licence or really cheap one for hobbyists like me. The best one with active developement in therms of results is BlenderCAM but only if you know something about using Blender (its a powerful software by itself).

In the other hand we have the expensive software that have A LOT of functions that a hobbyist will never use it. I think its not worth paying for me.

17. OmightyOne

OmightyOne Minimodder

B E A U T I F U L L - Jaw Dropped!

18. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

Okay guys! About the inactivity of mine, though I should update you about it. Right now there is a lot of stuff going on, good stuff, but it eats my time away. Work, the project and.... did I say stuff? :D

Sorry to tell you about it, but the worklog doesn't got the #1 priority, the project does, but not the log...

That's why I'm updating so slowly, the project is forwarding in a fast pace tho, and made some progress I'm sure you'll like! More about that later tho.

But in the mean time, I'll just leave this teasing pic here, say whatever you want about it. :lol:

[​IMG]

Close, but it's 0.2mm fillet... ;)

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice. :)

20. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Im moist