1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any 'vapers' out there?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sentinel-R1, 13 May 2013.

1. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

New toy update:

1x Smok TFV4 - amazing tank with RBA head included and the stock 0.15ohm quad coils are unbelievable although they drink the juice like you wouldn't believe. Running 80% VG with zero issues.

2x EFest 3000mah 35A 18650s. Best batteries I've ever had. I bought them specifically as a pair to go with.....

1x Asmodus SnowWolf 200W box mod - Could this be the last box mod I'll ever need? It's looking that way so far. Up to 150W DC, 150W+ is PWM which works well also. TC mode is flawless and the nickel resistance doesn't fluctuate as with my eVic VT or Koopor Mini. Excellent bit of kit.

2. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Occasional vaper here. However, I smoke the rest of the time.

The problem I have is that the experience just isn't quite right. It doesn't feel like smoking to me.

Is there a general consensus as to what devices are the closest experience you can get to smoking, without actually coating your lungs with tar?
    I'm currently using the V3 version of http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/products/electronic-cigarette-starter-kits/starter-kits/tornado/tornado-v5-usb-e-cig-starter-kit-product.html with the various flavoured refills they make.

The main problem I'm running into is the drawing just lacks a little, and it's too easy to draw the vapour in.
    Anybody got any directions as to where to get the best experiences?

docodine likes this.
  3. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

It's quite difficult to have a tight draw, especially if you've come from rollies. You can always bung an airhole up with a bit of blue tack, however too little air results in an unpleasant heat and little vapour production. I've successfully got six of my friends off smoking for over a year now and my advice is always the same; Invest in a decent bit of kit and stick with a good flavour at first. Most of them have got the Kanger EMOW starter kit. If you want to invest/experiment a bit more go for the Kanger Subox.

I would say stick with an 'airier' draw, as it's something you will get used to. What nicotine strength are you on and what have you come from (ie: rollies, tailormade, 20 a day, etc) ?

I had 18mg strength for the first month, went down to 12mg until my habitual cravings went, then 6mg and now 3mg due to the power of the kit I use (and preferring a straight to lung hit, sort of like sucking from a bong..).

4. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Primarily a combination of Rollies (Drum Blue), and Straights (B&H Silvers)
    I guess I could put the strength up, but I've heard that just gives an unpleasant kick in the back of the throat.

I'll definitely have a look at the Kangor. Never heard of them, but I'm not really into the vaping scene as such so I may have to do some research into the topic a bit :)

5. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Yeah see drum tobacco does have quite a hit to it. Find something that has a 50/50 blend of VG/PG* and go up a nicotine level. What juice do you use at the moment?

VG - Vegetable glycerin
    PG - Propylene Glycol

These are the two base ingredients in the juice. PG tends to produce more flavour and helps towards a 'throat hit', whereas VG produces more vapour and can help keep it smooth. Most juices lean towards 70PG to 30VG to aid flavour, however it oftens makes them a bit harsh, especially when the nicotine level is high.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Most Kangertech tanks have a ring that you twist to close off the air holes. I like mine open however, as vapour tends to be less and the coils burn up much faster.

Probably one of the tightest tanks I've had when it comes to draw would be the Kangertech mini protank. It only has two tiny holes and isn't adjustable. The only issue is you will be filling it every hour or so.

I'm currently using an Aerotank on a Vamo battery. I've looked into all of the very expensive fancy stuff but at the end of the day what I have works fine and I can get the coils for around £6 delivered for 5. Doesn't matter what ohm rating they have because I can go from 3v to over 6v so I always manage to get them working as I want them to :)

Switching to vape is not easy. I started the switch about three or more years ago now. I started out with the EGO kit but it was terribly unreliable and they were a pain to fill and always leaked. I would vape for a while, then get fed up with all of the maintenance and end up going back on the rollies.

Then as coil technology progressed I started using wicked coils. Forget the name of the first ones I used, but due to them having long wicks you would need to suck a few times before vaping or the coils would burn up in no time.

Eventually I moved onto tanks with the bottom loaded coils that are 'wickless' (they're not really, they just have tiny wicks) and found that they were reliable enough for me to pick up whenever I needed and eventually I phased out the fags completely (about two years ago now).

But with vaping reliability is absolutely everything. At first if they pack up the first thing you're going to do is get a pack of tobacco/fags.

Now? I couldn't (and wouldn't) smoke a cigarette if you paid me. About eight months after getting into vaping I went to my mother's house (party smoker) and smoked a menthol cigarette. It was like smoking for the first time again. I felt sick, started to sweat etc. Then I ran to the bathroom and squeezed a load of tooth paste into my mouth. It was utterly, utterly vile.

Since that day I have had no cravings to smoke. When I go out now I can smell it and it makes me feel sick. I can also smell it on people, it's revolting. Was sitting at the doc's about a year ago and a chav came in reeking of cigarettes.

I really can't understand how I used to do it tbh. I can also see why non smokers are constantly whining about it too. It just stinks.

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I can recommend the Lemo for a tighter draw that doesn't compromise on flavour or vapour production. I use a Drop V1 but I'm sure the others are similar.

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

First thing's first: upgrade your device. I'd never recommend ego-style mods/atomisers to anyone any more; they simply don't have the power, vapour production, or flavour. You want a good quality vape otherwise it's extremely off-putting, especially when you're starting out. Ego-style devices were fine a few years ago when that was all we had, but the vaping world moves forward very quickly.

I would say to try something like a Subtank Nano starter kit (note: 18650 batteries are usually sold separately, and you'll need high current ones). The adjustable airflow will give you a quite tight draw on the lowest setting; not as tight as rollies or straights, but should be fine for "mouth to lung" inhales. Personally I think you'll struggle to find something which is quite as tight as cigarettes are.

Unfortunately I can't recommend any good liquid suppliers since I mix my own these days. I used to use 8-bit vape regularly - their shop seems to be temporarily offline at the moment though, so I've no idea if that's a good thing or not.

I think the main thing to understand that vaping is not smoking. It will feel different: the throat/lung hit feels different, the draw feels different, and it will take a little time to get used to. Start with a good piece of kit and a simple flavour; fruit flavours such as strawberry or apple are a good start. I'd probably suggest a liquid around 12mg and a 50%PG 50%VG mix (VG = more vapour, can mute flavour a little; PG = less vapour, stronger flavour, stronger throat hit). You can't always get 50/50 in the flavour you want, but good retailers should offer a range of PG/VG mixes these days.

Stick with it though, it's worth it. You'll be amazed at the difference once you've been off cigarettes for a few weeks: things smell better, things taste better, your clothes/hair won't have that faint hint of smoke, your lungs will feel miles better.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2015
  9. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

can anyone recommend any quality 100ml liquids? Been using some really nice 100ml for £25 liquids from a shop in nottingham city, but been thought them all now and got vape tong on there taste so need something new for the same value. at least 70% VG please

10. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

Hodge's homebrew are alright, although they can be lacking in the strength of flavourings.

£25/100ml

http://www.hodgeshomebrew.co.uk/collections/juicebar-100ml

11. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

£18 for 3 x 100ml from Unionvape.
    No idea what the vg/pg is mind....

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You can ask them for whatever mix ratio you want. I found their flavours adequate, but a little bland.

13. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

had a lousy experience with the lemo 2. kayfun is way better somehow, even though the design is very similar

no top fill, but the flavor is better and it has a nicer draw if you're more into mouth to lung

14. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I still pull the Lemo out occasionally, but find the draw too restrictive - I usually drip wide open tbh. YMMV.

15. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Never had any problems with the Lemo 2, providing you close off the airhole and fill horizontally. The Lemo 1 however, that leaked like an old bucket whether you used the screw or silicone bung. Poor filling design.

16. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

New custom mod arrived today, made by a manc called claz in scotland

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Want to try some retail juices for a change, any recommendations?.

18. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I like the ace of vapez stuff, the new hatchery range from vapour depot is pretty good also

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Went looking at retail juices for something different (bit tired of my custard juice) but decided to have a go at making clones using popular (by review) juice descriptions for the recipe.

Frisco Vapor Sutro
    TPA Blueberry (Wild) 7.5%
    TPA Oatmeal Cookie 7.5%
    TPA Malted Milk 5%

Frisco Vapor Soma
    Cap Double Watermelon 5%
    Cap Harvest Berry 10%
    Cap Spearmint 5%

These aren't official recipes, just taken from the descriptions with guessed percentages from what reviewers describe prominent flavours they notice.

1600ml for less than £60, either of those cost £17 for 30ml so would cost £918 for same amount, I get through around 30ml a day so DIY makes sense.

I suppose premium juices are worth it if you don't vape much but if you vape a lot it would be really expensive.

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

30ml a day!!!!!!!:eeek: