1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I watched that video the other day! Really good. :thumb:

2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

just have to imagine that war thunder with the commercial oculas is going to be a marriage made in heaven? Zero pixilation increase res, higher refresh rate, wider FOV, this is JUST what the doctor ordered for Warthunder!!!

Also I noticed in that video he appeared to be in a cockpit of a bomber? That's been asked for as well and not done.

future is bright for VR,

January is nearly over, we have the big push through Feb, then like it or not we are in the month of release,

Going to release my dk2 extremely late maybe only once I got cv1 and see support in few top titles, will be losing huge library access 0.8sdk and lower....

Wounder how that guy enabled the butt kicker for warthunder?

3. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

Planning to build a VR Demo Space...feedback please?

Hi!

Currently in the process of pre-ordering two sets of Omni controllers and also acquiring parts for two gaming rigs to power the Oculus Rifts.

The total amount of each rig is about 1kGBP using new and second hand parts.

The spec of the PC are as follows:
    Intel Core i7 4770K (stock cooler)
    Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
    Generic DDR3 8X2GB RAM @1600MHz
    Asus STRIX GTX980 or MSI Gaming GTX 980
    Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 (RAID 0)
    Windows 7 64bit SP1
    FSP Aurum S 700W
    Fractal Design Define R5

I'm based in Japan and those were at good prices so I chose them. The PCs are going to built just for VR Gaming... nothing else. Won't be overclocking for the time being. There are some parts that I'm wondering whether I should change or not.
    1. Adding a third party cooler. Currently looking at a Noctua NH-D14 or an AIO cooler.
    2. RAID 0 SSD or M2 (is it worth it?)
    3. What kind of rigs are you building in anticipation for Rift/Vive?

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

- The SSD array is complete overkill. Either go for RAID1 for failure tolerance, or just use a single SSD and have a hot spare imaged and ready to go in case of a failure.
    - A cooler would reduce noise, if you feel noise is an issue, but would not gain performance: overclocking a CPU in a production device is going to be more of a headache than it's worth, particularly for VR where you really want rock-solid stable frame delivery.
    - The PSUs are overpowered, 300W is sufficient for such a single-GPU setup (400W would give a good margin for future expansion).
    All other PC specs are fine. You could consider going for Skylake rather than Haswell for a new build: potential for future expansion to Kaby Lake (and possibly Cannon Lake) CPUs, but the main benefit would be a larger number of USB3 ports available without an expansion card, useful if you use the Oculus Rift with additional Constellation Cameras (a 4-camera setup would give robust tracking for an omni-directional treadmill).

It might be worth taking a look at the Cyberith Virtualiser as well as the Virtuix Omni. The Virtualiser ends up being cheaper than the Omni in Europe due to shipping, but I'm not sure what the shipping costs of both to Japan are.

the_kille4 likes this.
  5. Parge

I would largely agree with the exception of the PSU. A lot of people over spec their PSU, but I'd say you may as well go for something around the 450-500W level.

the_kille4 likes this.
  6. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

room scale vr with oculus?

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Has always been possible, depending on your definition of 'room-scale'.
    With just a single camera and the HMD (out of the box setup), you can track the HMD when turning all the way around throughout the tracking volume.
    If you want to use Touch as well, then either you:
    - Reposition the second camera that comes with Touch so you have a camera in each corner of the room. Explicitly stated by Palmer to be a functional configuration, but comes at the expensive of tracking robustness and is not the recommended setup.
    - Add an extra 1/2 cameras (for 3/4 cameras total) to increase coverage while maintaining occlusion-robustness for fine two-handed tasks. Cameras will be sold seperately, but it;s not announced yet whether they will be available at launch of the rift, or later (e.g. to coincide with Touch launch).

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

9. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Surely it would have been a good idea for the cv1 to support 0.6sdk and forward, there is a huge library of apps which are going to be lost to the wind of the past, many devs won't update, guess it's a small issue.

The cheaper that Sony can deploy its VR headset the better, if elite dangerious could hit ps4 with PSVR even with just a controller (no pedals, stick) still would make s huge impact because elite is so impressive, was playing yesterday again and boy is it a fine example of VR, if some thing even close could hit PSVR that would be awesome and would be a big push pill to VR

10. Parge

No, its better to have those Apps lost, than encouraging devs to work off an old SDK that doesn't support timewarp and does support things like extended mode which need to die in a fire.

11. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

i wounder how long after launch it will be till we get delivery, so say you are give 28th March as you eta, do they ship from a uk warehouse there and then on the 28th eta next day for your £25 postage we have to pay, or from the 28th and it could be many days even a full week till the nice shiney box artives.

Making our ways home ( if work place delivery) is going to be like the president with the breifcase and nuclear launch numbers.

One of the reasons to know about right delivery date and I will tell it straight, fokes will want to book a few days off work, it's true! I am def going to want to get cookies ice cream and make it oculas binge day!

So 59 days....... Exciting is going to start ramping up 10 days out,

Have to see what the best minds could make towards the pixalationless aspect.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2016
  12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It will probably be announced closer to release how distribution is being handled. I suspect with this being a consumer launch rather than devkit distribution, and with stock being built up for some months rather than rolling off the line in batches, that the initial shipping from the 28th March will be shipping from the regional distribution centres. Once that first batch is exhausted, then batches will probably be shipped from the manufacturer to each distribution centre in waves.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

Not sure how Facebook plans to handle delivery, theory going around is that it will be shipped to a uk site if in uk then from there to your address. Which is pretty similar to how much do it.

Unless I'm dreaming Elite Dangerous is timed exclusive to Xbox one till at least end of 2016. It's also the reason why no ps4 information has been given about it.

If the PC specs that are listed is anything to go by, how would PSVR even handle the game. Elite is likely a step to far for console graphical capabilities for VR at least.

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

For the DK2, Oculus' European distribution centre was in the UK. There's no guarantee they'll be using the same distribution provider for CV1 as DK2 though.
    Lower the resolution and drop some graphical detail settings (Shadows Disabled was a common 'fix' for PC VR back when Frontier were still actively developing for the Oculus SDK, as they were an enormous performance hit and didn't render correctly for stereo views anyway).

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Dude, do you know how hard it is to clean up ice cream vomit? Better hope you don't get VR motion sickness :D

16. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Hopefully it will be ok at 90hz with nice seated experiences available.

With the dk2 there was the excellent add on called about face which basically upgraded the foam which sits between the unit and your face.

With the cv1, going to guess that as soon as units start landing, fokes are going to set up public recreational demo booths? this is great but ideally oculas would have considered about a cv1 needing to be used on several hundred people's heads a week and made that type of foam which can be wiped Down, I have it for the dk2, yes it's not as comfortable as the factory foam or the feather soft pads from about face but it allows hygienic sharing of VR HMD,

And modders what a nice idea, make an about face for the cv1, the factory cv1 doesn't ship with different foam inlets?

17. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

holly molly

18. Parge

Just to let you know, I've created a new VR games thread in the Gaming section.

19. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The CV1 will come with two 'facial interfaces': one for regular use, and one that spaces the CV1 a bit further from you face and with some relief at the sides to make room to comfortably wear glasses under the HMD.
    They probably won't release the facial interface attachment mechanism publicly to allow for 3rd party designs (because having a known distance between the lenses and your eyes is an important component in computing a correct distortion correction function), but I suspect they won't do anything against people wanting to sell alternatives (same as DK2) as long as they are not marketed with claims of compatibility.

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Isn't the VIVE meant to be available for Pre-order today?