Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Premium hardware in costing $ shocker. 980 Ti launched last year is still big$, but that performance will be available for 2/3rd the price this year - of which you'll need for VR. Yay for progress.

Once the total addressable market$ (TAM$) has proven itself costs will come down fast, just as it has taken a few years for every new technology to drop in price. At the moment the bean counters can differentiate hype from 'few' pre-sales.

2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

bet both platforms 6months in, have some killer app which cause pain in the VR community because they have "inert rift/vive", but do wish they had the other because of one killer app and consider buying the other headset just to get that other app.

:D

3. rollo

rollo Modder

It is a shock to many Bindi, DK2 was around £300. VIVE and Rift have blown past a lot of people's price expectations.

Nvidia does not have a market to make so it's a unfair comparison.

PlayStation VR will be the one to compare to. If it's launched for sub £400 which is likely then Sony can offer the entire VR experience with a better games list for the price of 1 VIVE head set before the PC that is needed to run it.

Sony could come out and say PSVR will be £600 total with Gran Turismo launch title that would end all discussions VIVE and Oculus would both have to reduce prices or offer exclusives that compete.

4. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I'm still hoping CV1 price will drop by end of the year. £520 is just to much for me. I spent £290 for DK2 and sold it for same amount, I was ready to add £50-80 to the price but not £230.
    Right now I would pay £400, but that's just max I could do. Compared the amount of time I spent on DK2 (not much, just playing demos and Elite) it wasn't worth it. Hopefully new content will make it worth, but not £520 worth...

5. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Really like the comitment from AMD making dedicated VR mini powerful desktops, would love to see AMD get into bed with vive and make a complete VR solution.

The thing about psvr vs oculas is the ps4 is way underpowered to drive VR, its like a fisher price DJ set up vs a full on techniques 1210 with deficated mixer amp 10k speakers.

PSVR can no way compete with a high end 980ti system but its inportant i realized this the other day, PSVR maybe more important to VR globally than oculas and vive put together because of what you said, PC master race of which i am firmly in camp, we need to get of our uber high horse and understand the Sony input into VR is going to be huge with many of the 30million user base wanting the VR "add on", sony had VR ready to for a long time but kept it the labs it would be nice to know why they did that, also evrn now they admit to havibg super secret stuff regarding VR, sony must have some super sick research labs, hard core Japanese geeks into tech 25hpurs the day, best of breed engineers.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

PSVR will be a judge on if VR will be mainstream or just a high end niche product. If it's the later one then it will get a very limited pool of games and might never see VR AAA games.

I do think PSVR will be the most successful of the 3 in terms of units sold Wether that is enough to encourage a big blow out to the mainstream sector I am not so sure.

7. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

you have to imagine that VR is going to be here, take off and eventually lead to a massively up taken technology, in several forms, level of immersion, cost and also interestingly application and usage.

There is going to be a time that several younger generation friends, several senior Business associates, several strangers, all have one common means and necessity of "a local", a virtual local, with differing levels of application, security, usage, but defacto transport, VR is going to become a common theme since so much is able to be transported over it.

some one is obviously going to design a tor network enabled VR client with anonymity just so it exists and allows anom discussion, "freedom", your guaranteed a personable intimate conversation with body cues, familiarity and sense or feeling able to be developed, the brain is smart it can feel out especially with strong good audio and a representation,

Today is a dangerous time for vendors and they need to be on their toes and able to act fast since some thing can very quickly appear blow up and become de-facto standard preference

Its like cisco need to remind or at least state a lot of the time, they are not a hardware company, one would think that is what they are, but they continue to publish the fact "we are a software company", its their IOS they pump, routers are not full story.

just pumping out VR displays is not even half the battle about VR long term, its about the software, PSVR is going to be interesting for the fact that it is "just good enough", to get the impression. it would be a done deal if the PS4 has 970gtx performance, 2016 would be worth the next 2 years if the PS4 / Xbox 1 had 970 performance but they don't and its a shame Microsoft / Sony don't bring forward the dev. cycle and just AIM for a 2018 VR console

Even if VR does not blow up astronomically 2016, easily you can see technology is going to catch up, VR needs few years for affordable tech to catch up (which exists but is costly) and then that's it the bubble is popped.

by XMAS many people will have tried or know some one that tried "that amazing oculus thing", even today just with the dk2 its massive in media, HTC must have made some great impressions its a shame they didn't consider enabling more people in London to easily access one to test it like a 12 hour a day booth / truck, just park that sucker there and let fokes come to the truck when they have the time already.

Goldman Sachs: VR and AR “Will Be the Next Generation Computing Platform”

8. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

There is no question that elite dangerous in the DK2 is one of the best gaming experiences possible to date, playing even 60 hours in game would mean a cost of 5 to 10 an hour plus you got to sell on the headset and of course the menu of games for the Dk2 is decent, DCS, Assetto, war thunder, video watching apps, demos.

One consideration we all have to admit here phinix is that we have all known about the upcoming Rift for more than a year and to know to save up no?, the cost is above the original cost but not by 100%, its close enough and understandable enough to punsh the wallet here, name some thing else worth punishing your wallet, the Oculus maybe so good its worth dropping hte phillips £500 notes back to the bank to put towards the Oculus and get a 24"...

the games list is going to have a few decent but its over the next 6 to 12 months that the big games come available (sooner) that is when heaven official lands imo, just have to see Elite, Assetto in CV1 pixel less, if you have gone this far then you just have to get the CV1 imo.

Edit: It is understandable to leave VR alone until Xmas on second consideration, by Xmas 980ti level performance should be down to £250? headset down to £350, games menu will be matured, star citizen should have support. nothing wrong to watch from the side lines, its exciting to follow even if not engaged, plus there will be testing locations near by to most big citys since people will arrange and post to google maps like the dk2.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Utter nonsense. GearVR renders to an internal 1920x1080 buffer for gaming, and can handle it just fine at 60fps. The PS4 has vastly more processing power avaialbe than than a Mali-T760MP8. Sure, the graphical bling will not be turned up as high as you could with a GTX970, but the PS4 has the advantage of being a fixed platform. For a latency-oriented (rather than throughput oriented) problem like VR, that's a big advantage in terms of optimisation.

10. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

I was under the impression that the PSVR also came with an external processing unit too? I assume that will help in delivering low latency video too.

11. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

edzieba its a mute point now because the topic of cpu/gpu onboard is surpassed which is really amazing news man, I am really impressed.

Just now reading after goggling, PSVR is going to be impressive..

[​IMG]
    Sony's Ram Madhavan(developer services and support) reveals at the Unite 2015 talk. The revelation comes at the 14min 28 sec mark of the talk, and reiterates it at the 19min 48sec mark

http://www.lazygamer.net/playstation-vr/playstation-vr-feature-external-processing-box-big-wii/

PlayStation VR to feature external processing box “as big as a Wii”

PlayStation VR, and VR in general, is pretty exciting technology. It’s also technology that punches way above the capabilities that current-gen consoles can provide, considering the headset itself needs to render not one, but two screens at least at 60FPS at all times. It’s more than the PlayStation 4 can muster alone, but that’s why it’s getting a little help in a little black box.

That’s according to Polygon, who went hands-on with the retail version of PlayStation VR (although weren’t able to snap any pictures). The headset itself is largely unchanged, with a few improvements to comfort and fit making it feel like a final product. The biggest change (although it was probably always just hidden when shown off) is the addition to a black processing box that connects the headset to the PS4. A box that Polygon says is about the size of a Wii console – or a third of the PS4.

As we learned earlier this year, the PlayStation VR headset doesn’t plug directly into the PlayStation 4. Instead, it plugs into a processing box, which in turn plugs into the PlayStation 4. This allows people to use the TV and PS4 to interact with, or just watch, the person playing their VR game.

This box is there to handle additional processing required for VR, and in turn alleviate a lot of computational work on the console itself. When we got our hands on the headset at E3 and Gamescom, most of the wiring went into cabinets and boxes making it impossible to see how it all hooked up to the PS4. Sony has mentioned the need for the processing box previously, but this is the first time it’s actually been seen out in the wild.

That might mess with your living room setup, and confirms that the headset will need to be rather close to your console to operate (were you expecting something wireless?), but it does give an indication of what to expect when Sony finally enters the realm of VR in the first half of 2016.

sources:
    -
    -

continuing to look into more details about this board,

edit: oh snap, wow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The above box if real is the unit to take VR main stream more than Oculus ever could hope to imo.

If any one can get the specs of this box please post!

wow, Sony is going to mint / smash VR up easy 750k to 3million purchases by Xmas ?

edit: more pix
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Feb 2016
  12. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

ebay is going to be flooded with xbox ones LOL........... every one is going to jump ship, Microsoft consoles will drop £50, £75, £100 imo, will be a glut of them getting moved on for the only available "cheap", easy route to VR.

Has any one tested the PSVR? demo'ed it?

no wonder its just behind Oculus and Vive being nearly as close in performance and able to smash 120hz, Sony are smart they must have seen the possibility of this coming and factored it into the ps4 design... clever stuff..

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

It is unconfirmed what is in the box, but its certainly not another GPU or anything to get too excited about.

"However, despite the active cooling, we shouldn't expect too much from the external processor - core graphics rendering for VR all takes place within the PlayStation 4 hardware itself and it's going to be down to developers to work within existing limitations to get the best results."

Link

I personally suspect its a low power APU/ARM chip designed to deal with things like upscaling etc.

14. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

15. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Parge I agree, the external box is to drive the oled and control circuits and some aspects about power, but that Sony slide, its specifically says underlined.

Powerful Playstation VR Processing Unit.

what does that mean, is it a play on words? does the external box add considerable GPu grunt because that's what that line is alluding to.

Also whats with Sony stepping up the refresh to 120hz, from scanning the other slides looks like they are taking the 60hz and doing trickery to bounce it up to 120hz, but the need to do that? did they research extensively for a decade and find that 120hz is an important necessity for VR, how does 120hz compare to 90hz, 75hz.

could be 120hz is some magic number in refresh terms all vendors should be looking to hit.

I think its really great that a console is taking into people into VR here along side a hard push by the PC master race, great chance for VR this year! glad to be around to see this Epoch in computing, truly a time for game developers imagination to step up.... lets see some more john carmacks appear

16. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

currently, movies are made, and then if they are really cool and people like the movie, games are made, at one point it was not a given that a movie would get game, I think I remember when it was first thought to tie it in, that is a hugely long time ago.

what happens when VR, its ability to represent a film reality inch to inch, its characters, its definition. Isn't this going to change the way movies appear and impact us.

if you take this to its ultimate possibility, it could be that movies are no longer made, for example, lord of rings.

If many thousands of people participate in a virtual like for like rendition of lord of the rings, or star wars, then at some point highly absorbing and naturally meaningful films will be made by the players actually living out the film but in game.

This could be in 20 years but the point remains, Hollywood has mastered inside out, out side in the projection of 2d image (including 3d content) but pure immersive VR content which is many dozens or hundreds of times more computational intensive and interactive to the point of it being little different than real life.

Movies will be created by players, computer systems will monitor social interaction actions, high points to great aspects with in VR gaming and highlight this parts out.

VR is going to become some thing pretty crazy in the future and make changes we don't think about today imo, I think peoples ability to make friends has been retarded hugely by the internet and social media and so on, but there is going to become a point in which VR is more demanding than real life, extremely hard social gaming moments which have impact. Fact in the ability at some point for people to pedal / jem / buy gold in game , sell out to exchanges (la eve) and making high level decisions in complex MMO VR games is going to become serious stuff.

edit: VR is going to be fun but its also going to become brutally serious imo, war will be like war and impact people.

17. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

My guess would be a Bravia Processor (or a minor variation of), the chip already used in Sony's TVs for framerate conversion.

It's marketing.
    It's a unit, that has a power input, and performs some form of processing, as part of a VR system. It's a 'Powerful VR Processing Unit'.

18. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

19. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sony can sell it at cost though, others can't. I would not be surprised if the Sony version was less capable in display/features.

That would be MediaTek OEM for Sony ^_^ I wait to see the VR box taken apart as well!