1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Hi-fi and AV junkies anonymous

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 16 Jun 2020.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

So the time has come for me to start looking at building the AV setup in the living room and ive been eyeing up OLED TV's, ive got my eye on a 77" LG OLED77G226A after sitting in front of it in Currys i was quite impressed but im not an AV tech geek so im interested in opinions.

richer are tossing in an LG GX soundbar as well which id probably sell as im looking to do a decent ATMOS installation in the room.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

The G2 is amongst the three OLEDs worth picking at the moment - I think the Sony flagship is technically "better" but I think it's one of those cases where the Sony, the LG and the Samsung are all quite excellent in their own right, and unless you're side-by-siding you'll never know otherwise. And the Sony is significantly more expensive too.

My HT project is nearing the end of the road now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to spend some time making cables for the in-wall speakons and XLRs that I finished the other day, and then can actually get it all fired up and dialled in.

Carpet is getting fitted on 24th October, postponed until then because the radiator that was ordered was delivered in the wrong finish - and has a 4 week lead time. So should be fitted the week before all being well.

I'm liable to reorganise the rack as well, or at least the cables.

But for now basically mostly finished, and soon to be finished-finished.

Then I'll just have to figure out what to watch.

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

****ing hell tad just how much money do you make? also I vote for TG:Maverick.

LennyRhys and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  4. Mister_Tad

Bit on the nose... no comment I guess?

Though whilst I won't deny that there's what some may call an obscene amount of money that's gone into this project, also 6 months of evenings and weekends of doing it myself has meant that it's only been a fraction as obscene as it could have otherwise been versus getting an AV outfit in and saying "cinema pls"

Such an example in what I've been up to this evening:

[​IMG]

I'm sure there are many hifi shops that would have gladly taken a grand off me for that lot. The most expensive part there is the right angle speakons at just under a tenner a piece.

I've still not watched Maverick (amongst many other reportedly excellent films)... saving myself. Excellent suggestion and Maverick it will be. As it happens I have fond memories of my childhood and the original Top Gun which happened to be the subject of many movie nights with friends and family.

5. Mister_Tad

@Yaka did you ever get your AVM70? I just got wind of UK pricing for the 8K upgrade and it is... significant.

6. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

no had to sort other bits around the house before the mrs oks it. how much is it? tho i doubt it will affect me getting it as i regreat moving away from anthem avr

7. Mister_Tad

In the US its $450 + labour at a dealer or $550 including 2 way shipping at the factory, plus local taxes of course.

Here it's £720-750 for the board and TBC for fitment - nothing finalised though and I've had a couple of slightly different prices depending on the source so YMMV

So definitely worth waiting for the model that has it out of the box if you're still looking.

Yaka likes this.
  8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Right, brain wave.

I have had one complaint about my AV set up and that is the centre speaker. Mostly because the only place I could run one was on the floor. Which is not ideal, at all. It literally sounds like it is coming from the floor, not from in front of you :(

[​IMG]

And there is no way around it. Mostly because I wanted a 75" TV, which leaves 1" between the top right corner of the TV and the ceiling itself. Meaning I can't fit anything in between the TV and cabinet. Talking of which, the cabinet is solid oak and I love it. So I didn't want to get rid of it or hack it apart. Then I had an idea...

What if I could get an angled speaker that fires up to the listening position, raise it, and etc. Then it hit me...

[​IMG]

Ex display ceiling speaker. But not just any ceiling speaker. Revel ceiling speaker with an RRP of over £800.

[​IMG]

It's an absolute unit.

[​IMG]

Cost? £125 delivered. So, what I am going to do is remove the drawers because they are just utterly full of ****, and then make a baffle to replace them without cutting anything up. Few strategically placed batons around the inside and I can fit a baffle, which I can cut that into and paint. Heck, I might even veneer it, as I fancy pulling my teeth out with pliers again.

Weekly_Estimate and Yaka like this.
  9. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

thats a good idea but wouldn't the orignal speaker fit where the top drawer is? if it does and the there is a solid partition between the top and the bottom drawer you should be able stick it in, use foam to reduce echoing a use speaker cloth to make the top part look like a giant inbuilt speaker

10. Vault-Tec

Nope it's literally hollow inside. I suppose because it is oak, and that would have added even more cost. I also don't like how centre speakers sound. Maybe it is because that was never really a very expensive one, but I would imagine that to get what I want I would have to go even bigger which would just make it a much bigger problem.

I am pretty sure I have a load of mute mat left too. Though tbh a ceiling would be far worse than a solid board.

I think sound quality wise and positioning wise this is definitely by far the best option I have.

Edit. I also decided that I want to skim the board with 3mm flat black acrylic, or maybe flat white. Nothing that reflects, basically. Which will cost me at most £100 to do. I also ordered these for when I fit it too.

[​IMG]

So I should be able to make it look quite nice.

As I said, the drawers are just choc a block with shite. Stuff I threw in there 3 years ago and never even touch.

Edit 2. The tweeter in the Revel unit can be positioned.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2022
  11. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

ah gotcha, keep us upadted in the process. cant find the thread but someone on avs forums had 4 of the same speakers mounted behind a transparent pj screen and used them for center speakers

Vault-Tec likes this.
  12. Vault-Tec

The listing said "Makes a great centre speaker in the ceiling if you don't have the room for one under the TV" :D I can do one better than that :D

13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'll be honest that I've never been in this thread but after seeing the setup tad has with the prospect of owning my first home in the next few months I think I just saw my wallet fly away.

Any resources for the current best TV and reasonable sound setup?

Vault-Tec likes this.
  14. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

tv wise its really worth going for unless you have your tv where its gonna be hit with alot of direct sunlight on screen side then its best to for a non oled tv which is what i had to do.

as for sound this really depends on what you want and defo go for sound demos before buying anything. but its well worth buying second hand specially speakers and power amps you can end up saving alot over buying brand new

15. Vault-Tec

OK well it finally arrived and I finally got it home. Given it's a sealed unit and doesn't rely on a cabinet I figured I would wire it in. I tested the drivers with music on another amp.

[​IMG]

I can't believe the difference in vocals. I should, given this thing costs 8x what the Linn I have costs (which was bought on size rather than anything else) but sheeesh.

I have decided not to completely cover the AV unit. Instead I am going to leave it open at each end for record storage. My brother has sorted out my dad's old LPs that have been in storage for 35 years. So I will need more storage for those.

Yaka likes this.
  16. Mister_Tad

I am Finnish!

[​IMG]

(The spot for the radiator that I’m still waiting for 12 weeks later is out of frame, so that doesn’t count)

MadGinga, trigger, IanW and 10 others like this.
  17. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

man thats nice setup the seats loom super comfy

18. Mister_Tad

They're ridiculously comfortable... shortest furniture shopping trip ever. Normally I think of deciding on sofas being a long and drawn out process - this was literally the first thing inside the door of the furniture shop, sat down and that was it. We briefly went round the rest of the store but there was no point.

https://www.caliaitalia.com/en/modulars/fox-trot

Never been one for the "cinema seating" experience at home - recliners, cupholders etc. Love these for just flopping out and watching/playing something.

This afternoon a have mainly been listening to blips.

[​IMG]

15 channels, delays, 7 measurement spots, phase optimisation. So. Many. Blips.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2022
  19. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Literally everything about that is 100% turning me on - I need to go and have a little quiet time alone i think........

Deffo watch maverick - epic movie in it's own right but combined with the feels from the first that you'll get, you'll love it!

20. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Oh god - run away while you still can before its too late! getting started on these journeys like these never ends well for your wallet....

Yaka, IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.