1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 thread

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 13 Dec 2020.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Podium remains the same, bit of a shakeup further down. They really can't have any complaints, they were all warned god knows how many times and pretty much all the drivers were on the radio saying "(insert driver in front) is going off the track all the time, so I can't pass", including sainz and Hamilton.

They need to remove the second outer section of curb and put gravel there. One wheel just on the curb and you're fine, drift further and you're boned.

Spraduke likes this.
  2. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Those suffering the post-race penalties surely won't have had the warning flag so this does seem a bit harsh to me, given that other drivers surely did enjoy that benefit.

3. The_Crapman

As far as I'm aware they all did. Hamilton definitely had a black and white flag AND a 5second penalty dealt during the race, pretty sure Sainz did too. I think Ocon got a penalty and then a subsequent 10 second penalty for failing to properly apply the penalty at the pitstop, was him or tsunoda. Every other radio message they broadcast was one of the drivers whining about someone else's track limit infringements, but maybe they should have concentrated on their own, like Norris and Alonso did. McLaren got on the radio the Norris after his black&white to say "under no circumstances go over the white line, there are loads of penalties being dished out that could mean places" or words to that effect, and he obeyed, still passed Hamilton while doing so, the result of his due diligence was a bump up the order.

This is what the drivers wanted, strict adherence to policies at all times, no changing or bending them at a whim, just keep it as black and white as possible. They get that and then moan that it's too stringent. :rollingeyes:

javaman likes this.
  4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Yh but you also had stupid **** like KMag getting the black/white flag *after* he'd retired.

5. The_Crapman

They just couldn't cope with the volume of them, it was in the region of 1200 as reported by autosport, which averages at 16 per lap. They were playing catchup from a couple of laps in, and for full rule following, consistency and clarity, as requested by the drivers and teams, every warning and penalty had to be issued.

6. RedFlames

Ferrari... Lol... Lmao...

McLaren looked rapid and got a decent result despite some questionable tyre choices.

7. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Ignoring Max, this season has had a lot of intrigue and excitement, it would be a hell of a championship fight as Perez keeps dropping the ball.

Very, very glad that Mclaren are showing genuine pace but concerned that it is a one off fluke of cool track with fast corners. Hopefully they can keep it up.

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

If Max wasn't there I doubt Perez would be dropping the ball so much. Qualifying was really a microcosm of Red Bull's attitude to the second driver. On a drying track, with the red flag waving, they sent him to the pit lane exit and left him sitting for 6-ish minutes. So he had to go out on stone cold tyres and sweep the track for everybody else. Meanwhile Max drove into the pitwall like an idiot and they still got the front wing changed and got him out in time to make a clear run.

If Red Bull could run a single car they would. They talk about the second driver's performance but they treat them like an afterthought. This is no different to Albon and Gasly, upgrades, set up, tactics? Nah, just bolt the car together and hope for the best. If Perez was the preferred sibling no doubt Max (or whoever was in his place) would be similarly floundering.

9. RedFlames

IRRC they've repeatedly stated that, to them, the Drivers' championship is the only thing that matters. They've never cared about the constructors'

...or Webber. I think Ricciardo was the only #2 driver to not get '2nd seat' treatment by RBRy.

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

11. RedFlames

IanW likes this.
  12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It seems De Vries has been given De Boot. Ricciardo back in the Toro Rosso after his 2 day Pirelli mandated tyre test apparently went well.

Red Bull brutality continues, but on the other hand De Vries pretty much blew it. It'll be interesting to see how Tsunoda fairs against Smiley Dan, one of them's about to get a very bruised ego followed by their final pay cheque.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2023
  13. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Red Bull are brutal.

Have to think this could lead to a Ricciardo/Perez switch later in the year.

14. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

If Dan can make that seem like a good idea while driving around in this year's AT he will deserve the promotion!

15. RedFlames

I think it happens the moment D.Ric out qualifies or out-performs Perez in that AT, which given perez' qualy performances of late...

Last edited: 11 Jul 2023
  16. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

17. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I'm not 100% convinced. Very few drivers ever truly return.

They really need to give De Vries a chance and let him develop but bigger picture In my mind this switch makes a lot of sense.

1. It puts pressure on Tsunoda to perform not only well but consistently. Maybe a bit of mentoring too

2. It will allow them to properly benchmark Tsunoda while getting Riccardo up to speed to replace Perez so if they do switch it won't be cold. Perez is contracted for 2 years and while they are winning both championships I can't see them causing unnecessary disruption.

3. If Tsunoda leaves to say Aston (he is a Honda junior after all) they have a driver already up to speed to push Lawson

4. Riccardo wants a drive next year and the only reason he wasn't in the AT or Williams or Haas was because he refused at that point prompting De Vries hire. This could be a way of taking Riccardo off the market so the likes of Aston, Ferrari, Merc don't pick him up

I feel Red Bull needs Riccardo in that seat for thatlle above reasons. De Vries was always a stop gap that if he performed great, He didn't so pivoting makes sense

18. The_Crapman

Thank you. I really needed this today. Epic hilarity.

B1GBUD likes this.
  19. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

You're welcome, Rocketpoweredmohawk has me in stitches too, he's brutal but funny AF.

20. The_Crapman

I very rarely add new subscriptions these days, more likely to remove, but this is likely to be a new fave.