1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You posted this message on a “smart device”. Whether it’s a laptop, a desktop, a tablet, or a phone, and regardless of what OS you choose, they all have some kind of login and/or remote server requirements. My day job is inherently tied to “the cloud”. I rely on multiple “cloud-based” services every day in my personal life: Steam, YouTube, Apple account, Microsoft account, Google account, AWS, Azure… and god only knows what else.

Life is too damn short to make every day a constant battle.

2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Pro Elec PEL01208 IEC C14 Plug to 4-Gang mains Extension Lead
    [​IMG]

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

2022 Hyundai Tuscon Premium, 11,315 miles, pick it up from the stealer in 10 days because one of their numpties nudged a pole whilst parking it when it arrived and dented the bonnet, metallic paint means it is cheaper to replace the bonnet completely.

Be a good replacement for a 16 year old, non ULEZ compliant diesel MPV. Shame as it has only done 81k miles so barely run in for a diesel. Owes me nothing, awesome car, be sad to see it go for scrappage, just feels like a waste of a perfectly good car.

Last edited: 12 Feb 2024
  4. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

20 bitspower 10/8 compression fittings, direct from bitspower. Because trying to get some from my usual place (wcuk) I was told they've gone end of life, and are being discontinued as a legacy size.

[​IMG]
    Other brands have too deep a thread and don't look as nice.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The *third* dehumidifier...

upload_2024-2-12_10-48-9.png

First one was faulty. Second one was entirely ill-suited to domestic use: loud fan, stupid control panel that switches to clothes-drying full-blast mode when all you want to do is switch the fan from really loud to merely very loud, doubly stupid control panel that defaults it to clothes-drying full-blast mode every time it's turned on (so to put it in minimum-fan 50%-target-RH mode you have to press Power, Fan, Fan, Mode, Mode... EVERY TIME YOU SWITCH IT ON), and the stupidly loud fan runs even when it's *reached* target humidity - just blasting away all the time. Ridiculous.

This thing's a compressor type again, which I'd hoped to avoid, but the really lovely dessicant type I've got in the office and the conservatory seems to have been discontinued. This is Quiet Mark approved, turns the fan off when it reaches target humidity, lets you *set* target humidity in five-percentage-point intervals instead of "One Drip, Two Drips and a Thumbs Up, Three Drips, Clothing," and was also £55 cheaper.

Now I just hope I can get a refund out of Meaco (and the first lot, for that matter!)

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

So what I’m getting from all this is: do not buy Meaco dehumidifiers! :grin:

Shame it’s been such a crap experience, their fans are great.

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I mean I've personally not had any issues with mine so far :D It is annoying it resets to laundry mode each time you turn it on but we don't turn it on and off much unless we're moving it around in the house (which happened at Christmas for example), guessing that's a difference between the junior version and normal as ours is silent when it reaches whatever the recommended humidity value. Haven't actually used it in the garage yet which was the reason we went for the dessicant model but I'm sure I will at some point.

8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Our Meaco has been great so far, no problems at all. We mainly use it for washing drying, when it can't be done outside and, even in laundry-full-blast mode, it's quiet enough not to disturb overnight.

9. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Another satisfied Meaco user here too. Don't even use laundry mode, standard gets the washing dry quickly enough. Just needs the filter cleaning every so often to keep it quiet.

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yeah got a couple of Meacos but they're desiccant rather than compressor types.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

This one was dessicant (DD8L Junior), and terribad. At least, for use in a room anyone spends time in. The one I'm trying to replace was also Meaco, though a compressor type (MeacoDry ABC 12l) and worked fine - proper humidity setting, remembered the last mode it was on, quiet, fan goes off when it doesn't need to be running - but died in a worrying way: the compressor was running while the thing was supposed to be switched off, and 'cos the fan wasn't going it got very very hot indeed.

The two other dessicant types I've got are from Pro Breeze, and fantastic. But, yeah, discontinued, it seems. I've also got another, newer MeacoDry ABC 12l in the living room, but I'm giving that the side-eye after the last one failed...

adidan likes this.
  12. adidan

Huh, that surprises me.

My junior in the loft where my pcs are doesn't break a sweat set at 50% if I'm in the room and the one I have downstairs barely runs as I've set it for 60. Both just the single fan setting.

Well unless there's laundry in there and I bump it up of course.

Yeah if a compressor dies but doesn't die is worrying in a don't-burn-my-house-down-please kind of way.

Tis the way of tech, one brand people swear by others will have a nightmare time with. I've always had that with Corsair RAM, always been a pain for me.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Do you mean that it turns the fan off when it's reached its target humidity? Because mine wasn't doing that - and the manual says that's to be expected, and that the fan will continue to run at all times. Maybe they've changed the design between you getting yours and me getting mine?

14. adidan

Ah, I see.

Yeah I got a Junior in 22 for the loft and it does that. Spins up to see if it's needed every 15-30(?) minutes and switches off when the target is reached.

Picked up a DD8L non-Junior in November (Ish? Maybe October) and that works in the exact same way.

The fan definitely doesn't run at all times.

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Couple more I didn't get to last year, but visited in 2016:-
    • La Brea Tar Pits - Live archaeology. Eat at "The Counter" just east of the park - you design your own burger.
    • Petersen Auto Museum - Just up the road from the Tar Pits, home of "Hot Rod" magazine. Pay the uplift for the "Vault" tour in the basement. They had the DeTomaso Pantera that Elvis shot when I went.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2024
    kenco_uk likes this.
  16. Gareth Halfacree

I just... what?

Remember I said the fan turns off when it reaches target humidity, like every other dehumidifier I've ever owned until recently? Well, that was based on this snippet from the product listing:

"The built-in humidity sensor allows you to set your desired room humidity between 30%-80%. Once this level is reached, the unit will turn off to conserve energy."

Yeah... that's a lie. The compressor turns off, but the fan remains active so long as the unit's switched on.

I'm not buying a fourth, though. It's got a power button to shut it up, that'll have to do. I'm still waiting on my refunds for the first two!

17. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

My new (to me) network bits have started to arrive:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to be my first time playing around with PoE which I shall be using to add a wireless access point (thinking of grabbing a Ruckus R600 for that - need something beefy as our house is reinforced concrete, rf signals have real trouble here, plus the Ruckus system can control itself and I can easily add another AP if needed). The Fujitsu will be running something like OpnSense or PFsense, or, or or....

Just need to get some Cat6 cable and the associated bits and pieces. Exciting times...

Byron C likes this.
  18. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

brand new off gumtree, way cheaper than retail geezer i got it off must have got a pallet deal on tools and stuff missed out and a few miter saws :( should work with my dinky old ctl sys vac and save me a expensive bags

[​IMG]

ElThomsono likes this.
  19. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

One of these to have Android Auto in my car. Looks to have really good support just in case and is also an easy install compared to others, which I'm all for.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  20. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Garmin Instinct Crossover.
    Arrives today.

[​IMG]

Gareth Halfacree likes this.