1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What Makes Your Life, Meh?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr_Mistoffelees, 10 Aug 2023.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Tell. Me. About it.

Woke up aching like crazy and my chest/throat was raw. I have been a snotty mess today. Every time I sneeze I bite my tongue.

I've had enough, godsdamnit.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

* Raises hand *

Yup, picked up a bug on my trip. Night before last sore throat, shivering. Yesterday wobbly and headache. Last night waking up every half hour and that headache.

Now it's a streaming nasal monstrosity.

Awesome.

E: Noticed on the ferry that the memory of a pandemic has long gone with many. Not many visible hand sanitizer stations even though a boat should have them for more bugs than COVID.

General public approach, hand grabbing food, manhandling plates and so on. Mind you this was a ferry from Amsterdam so the judgement skills of most onboard was probably impaired...

Last edited: 12 Feb 2024
  3. adamanatee

adamanatee What's a Dremel?

I also notice very casual behavior pretty much everywhere I go. I was carrying hand sanitizer with me long before the pandemic (and I still do). Picked up something similar last week. Can't stop sneezing and my throat feels somehow too.

4. adidan

iPlayer ending PC downloads.

Now we go away for weekends quite a bit I guess, quite often to places with no internet and sometimes no TV.

However, we like the option to maybe watch the odd thing so the laptop comes with iPlayer downloads on. This will be annoying.

It's all good and well that the tablet/mobile app will still work but the screen is smaller and it forces downloads to internal storage so you can get feck all on.

Harrumph.

They must be a work around. Anyway to make a virtual tablet on a pc or am I just talking gibberish?

5. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

If you're on Win11 you should be able to use windows subsystem for Android to install the app version of iplayer

IanW and adidan like this.
  6. adidan

Ah ha, that's good to know thanks.

Not on W11 yet but will have to be when W10 is laid to rest

E: From a cursory glance if looks like bluestacks maybe an option too.

Storm in a teacup then :happy:

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Sure there is: don the tricorn hat, whip out the eyepatch, and put on a terrible accent.

I’m telling you to use pirate sources instead :lol:

Back in’t early days there used to be “iPlayer downloaders”, before a legit option for downloading the files existed. I’m not sure if such things still exist any more.

adidan likes this.
  8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That feeling with you can't escape the work thouughts that need to be researched and answered, so you spend 4 hours looking at and comparing IMX sensors, and cross referencing with available cameras with them!!!

Its the cost of enjoying what you do! I hope my colleagues enjoy my sprawling write-up about it in the morning!

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

get_iplayer still exists ;)

adidan and Byron C like this.
  10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That’s the one I remember :thumb:

11. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Last night I placed quite a few auto bids on todays auction, many of them I was convinced would be outbid. I’ve had recent luck with vintage radios so understandably something I look out for now. Todays auction was full of them, but they’re a pain to pack and ship and just a headache.

Anywho, a few low ball bids here just for fun and I left it. I only came back to view the live auction for two lots.

Invoice: £233… usually spend anywhere from £150-£300 so nothing out of the ordinary but certainly higher than I’d expected.

Original Xbox…
    Box of cameras….
    Annnnnd a total of…
    39 Radios

12. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Got contacted by a recruiter about a permanent job, huge company, great pay and benefits. This is on here not the awesome thread because I really like the temp job I'm doing now, and whenever I speak to anyone from my manager up, they talk to me as though it's a foregone conclusion I'm going to be there permanently. But as I have learned the hard way on several occasions, you gotta do what's best for you, because on the whole, companies will replace you and move on without batting an eyelid.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The latest redesign of Reddit is absolutely awful.
    • Wastes space by keeping your list of subreddits on screen at all times
    • Articles are spaced further apart vertically, so fewer on screen without scrolling
    • "Feed preferences" selection (Hot, New, Top, Rising) is not remembered between visits!
    Feedback has been submitted.

TL;DR - Go to new. reddit. com instead of www. reddit. com ("New, new" Reddit) for all your redditing needs.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's a funny way of spelling old.reddit.com.

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

new is the last one I like. www is a hot mess.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I never liked any after old - and now I rarely use the thing at all, though a few subs are still in my RSS feeds. I even installed the redirector add-on in Firefox, so any Reddit link is automatically rewritten to old.reddit.com!

IanW likes this.
  17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I rarely use Reddit on the desktop, and on mobile I long ago gave in and installed the app. They have been hell-bent on actively destroying the user experience on the mobile site for a long time, there was only so long I could stand to fight against it.

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Obviously go for this permanent job, and if it progresses well then drop hints to your temporary employer that you're being approached by recruiters for permanent roles.

IanW and The_Crapman like this.
  19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Oh yeh I am doing. Applied for another one today too. At least gives a bargaining chip.

IanW and bawjaws like this.
  20. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Reinstalling Windows 11 on the Flow Z13 as I have someone coming this evening to purchase it.

Backup everything that needed backing up and start the reinstall process via the normal USB method and boom... no Drives show up in the install menu... W.T.A.F?!

Turns out that for whatever reason the single NVME drive has been setup in some sort of RST RAID setup (I don't even know how) so you either have to install a driver during install (didn't work as the installer couldn't "see" the driver) or disable the VMD setting in the bios.

Never seen that before on a device with only a single drive....

Oh and also the bios was really laggy so I kept flicking between and advanced and EZ mode when I just wanted to get back to the normal menu.

Sorted now (I think), but damn that was annoying!!

EDIT: So person didn't turn up.... At the very least I now have the Flow reset...

Last edited: 18 Feb 2024