1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Ah, nice, what did you get?

I've got two 212s, half copper half rawhide; one lives in the land rover for hitting things, and hitting things that aren't meant to be hit.

When I was a lad my Dad always had a smaller one in his toolbox that had clearly done a lot of work, the rawhide was like felt and the copper looked like a mushroom crossed with the surface of the moon. Handle stained jet black from oil and grime, beautiful.

The_Crapman and Arboreal like this.
  2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

We have a cooker with an induction hob, can put 3.6kW into a kettle and boil it fast. Who needs an electric kettle?

3. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

7900x, 64GB Dominator DDR5, Asus ROG, NZXT H7 Flow, NZXT Kraken Elite 360, NZXT 1000w PSU, Corsair MP700 Gen5 NVME 1TB, Corsair T500 2TB Gen 4, ASUS TUF 7900XTX.
    See how this runs :)

IanW, b1g-d0g, adidan and 1 other person like this.
  4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

So just a modest PC then, nothing too high-end... :grin:

adidan likes this.
  5. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Yeah Built it ticks all the boxes, I restrained from the 7950x3D atleast lol.

IanW and Byron C like this.
  6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

After a positive experience on the cheapo Honor 70 lite when my daughter broke her phone and we were awaiting repair, I thought I'd take a punt on their more premium offering.

HONOR Magic V2 - 9.9mm Foldable Smartphone - HONOR UK (hihonor.com)

bit risky, considering the price and how good my current Fold 4 is but the hardware is amazing, feels like a normal phone closed, compact and light.

Software wise, they have a shitload to learn before this thing is on par with a Samsung, Samsung have the best mobile OS IMO for configurability, multitasking and just the wealth of useful options, this definitely hammers that home with a big sledgehammer....still I will persevere and see if Honor will take some feedback. It's not all bad, it's just not all good where it counts, unfolded, and when they have developed such amazing hardware it's such a shame, it's 4.5mm thick unfolded and still fits a 5000mAh battery for example, makes my Samsung look distinctly second rate, so much lighter too.

Nice to be able to run more than 5 apps in desktop PC mode mind you without minimizing apps makes some things easier on desktop side vs Fold.

Only thing that really cheapens the hardware is the camera has a cutout on the inner screen which means you see it with media full screen, the Fold is under display, no camera cut out, that is how all expensive phones should be, feels like they are not even trying when you can see a camera in your screen.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Mar 2024
  7. Mr_Mistoffelees

I don’t understand why people get worked up about camera cutouts. Tech journalists especially, seem to get all hot under the collar about the iPhone camera notch. I’ve had my iPhone 12 for 3 years and, the notch has not annoyed me once..

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

because it cuts key info, for example watching F1, the cut out is right in the area where you see the order and deltas, you can rotate the phone and it obscures even more data, its a poor user experience, so much so I have had introduce a black bar so particular media does not go over it, I did not buy a large screen phone to make the screen smaller so I can see all content, cutouts are rubbish, there is no positive argument for them on a screen.

The price and size of Apple phones, there is definitely no excuse for a cutout bar maximizing their profit.

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Now you see, if I want to watch video or TV, I don't do it on the smallest screen I have access to.:grin:

More seriously, you are entitled to your point of view, as I am mine. If the notch bothered me, I wouldn't be looking at buying another iPhone, when this one goes out of support.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Tends to be the largest screen I have access to at times I am using it, and that small cutout extends to cutting out your speadsheets, content on webpages, everything, not just media, it's poor, I mean comparatively the honors is small, the iPhone notch is a shocker.

I can excuse it a little on the front screen when I just use it as a phone but when I want to do stuff, it is annoying, perhaps in your use case it's fine but I'm sure once Apple decides to do things properly you'll wonder how you put up with it.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My phone has a camera cutout, but the screen is also wider than 16:9 (it's...20:9, apparently) - so when I watch anything in 16:9 (so... almost everything, including F1 if I watched F1) it's pillarboxed anyway, and the camera cutout is literally invisible. I can zoom-fill the video and then see the camera cutout, but then it's both stretched horizontally and cuts bits off the top and bottom (at least, that's what Crunchyroll did when I tried it) so... I don't do that.

IanW likes this.
  12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup if I watch without zoom, so it is only equivalent to say 6.6 to 6.8 inch screen, then yes the cutout is so small and so close to the edge it does not impact much, I can't wait until these folds unfold to close to a 16:9, hurry up with the tri fold god damn it :D rather than square, well near 4:3, a terrible aspect for media though OK for reading, as it is I zoom in to use more of the available screen as most content you can full screen it, like YouTube and miss nothing in the periphery, this zoom gives another inch viewable with mini bars top and bottom or up to 7.9 inch full, then of course the camera cutout is there, would never have bothered me in the past but a couple of years of not having it, it becomes an eye sore.

YouTube is such a brilliant app for this stuff mind you, it can zoom to any size and if something is focused in the periphery you can just drag the screen maintaining your zoom, top job to those guys, thought of everything :cooldude:

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Under-screen fingerprint readers and cameras are tantamount to wizardry, but a modern iPhone has a pretty big facial recognition sensor package in addition to the camera (which is also autofocus, not fixed focus). It’s got to be a good 1.5cm from edge to edge. I can’t even begin to speculate on how feasible it might be to have that under the screen.

Edit: And honestly, I kinda like the “Dynamic Island” stuff they’ve done on the newer phones, it comes in really handy.

Also this.

I don’t tend to watch a lot of stuff full-screen on my phone, but in landscape orientation the screen is wider than 16:9 so the cutout is well outside the content.

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Purchases / acquisitions happened some time ago, but finally a couple of pics of my now-complete updated X99 system. What it lacks in stylistic congruence it makes up for in substance, and despite being about 7 years late, it fills me with joy: 5960X @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB of quad-channel memory (that vestigial e-peen), and a yugely-overclocked 1080Ti cooled by the monstrous Raijintek Morpheus II. All I need to do now is outfit the case with two or three more sensible fans for daily use, and it's done.

The CPU pulls around 260W doing small FFTs in Prime 95 and gets alarmingly close to 100C, which is...toight, like a toiger. Won't ever need to do that again :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

M_D_K, BeauchN, Isitari and 3 others like this.
  15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I accidentally an Xbox Series X.

I'm sure the 8k-ready-and-HDR feature will be great on my Full HD Samsung Series 6...

(The kids have bought a daft sandbox game called Wobbly Life, and you can only do four-player local co-op on a Series. On the plus side, it'll be ready for when Senua's Saga lands in May!)

16. Mr_Mistoffelees

You’ve got fans that can deal with that.:grin:

lancer778544 and LennyRhys like this.
  17. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Nice choice, got mine a month ago, via three. £505 back for the trade in deal for an old p30, free headphones worth £300 odd quid as well, and only 19 quid a month for the 300gb sim at Three, couldn't complain, worked out if i keep the headphones the phone would only cost £750 which for a foldable of this spec is cracking. Its my first fold, so its now my comparison standard but i see alot of people make comments on the software, fingers crossed version 8 is released soon, some android 14 and with any luck some more customisations

sandys likes this.
  18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup I took the early bird deal, with their voucher, got good quidco too, 100w charger and those headphones, they seem to be £549 Beocom Portal headphones for hybrid work - Bang & Olufsen (bang-olufsen.com)

It does charge so fast but that is concerning as nearly every charger I have will put at least 40w in some the max 66w and rapid charging like that with no charging protection makes me feel a bit eeew, going to find my old samsung 25w charger, until they fix their software, at the moment the smart charge has decided I need all the power all the time :eek: it really needs some fixed limits as the battery life is amazing, I don't want it to degrade too fast.

Yup I've come from Samsung and they've got the software nailed for folders, so if they don't improve, I'll get the Fold 6 which will also match the 20:9 front screen on this which is such a nice improvement over current Galaxy Folds an the stupid narrow screen, I put my self up for a beta tester on this Magic, they did not take me up on it, instead just getting the phone out to youtubers who cream their pants on this stuff for a free phone rather than provide useful feedback. I've sent a load of stuff in, pointed out loads of bugs, zero response, unlike Samsung.

19. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Viltrox AF 20mm F2.8 for Nikon Z.
    [​IMG]

Sam

Arboreal likes this.
  20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Another distraction purchase.

[​IMG]

Was on offer for twenty quid, gets a full strong 5GHz signal in the loft from the router downstairs.

Happy enough, actually a bit quicker than the powerline adapter it replaced (the old house wiring ain't that good, hence the swap).

IanW, Byron C and Vault-Tec like this.