1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Yet more shots fired - EK Accused of shady tactics against employees

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 20 Apr 2024.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That's the thing. They have always been style over substance in that regard. Like, sending out free stuff to people like him to play with whilst screwing their own employees. It's just a really poorly managed company full stop.

I thought about it more and I remember what Dan told me. He said he literally upped and moved out there, and would then spend weeks designing stuff for them to just say thanks for before refusing to use it. He wasn't out there long. A few months maybe, then the dream turned into a nightmare. If he found any way for them to improve products and quality they would dig in and become very combative. At which point I think he realised it was their show, and their baby, and just gave up. The whole company just smacked of narcissism.

Dave Alcock on the other hand? has been at Alphacool for years. I think he may even still be there. Which says a lot. They also don't go throwing out thousands in free gear to big them up either. That said? I wouldn't buy from either company if I could help it. Bitspower IMO make the best water cooling gear bar none. And I doubt my opinion will ever change on that either.

And as I said that....

[​IMG]

Oh boy. Poor Dave. I hope it isn't him who is being palmed off and not paid.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Yeh he got sacked off by alphacool, bit shittily if I remember. No warning at all, just no contract renewal bye bye, kind of thing.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

4. Vault-Tec

Covid prolly. I would imagine that many of these wb companies won't make it now. Water cooling is a wasteful luxury item really. Something people just will not buy when they have to pull in their belts.

5. The_Crapman

They've spoken

Difficult to judge tone when someone is not speaking their native language, and he's never been great on camera at the best of times. I think he's sincere, coming back as CEO and firing the last one in Feb shows his intention when the issue was realised (by him I mean). Just too much to undo and rectify before it got out though.

Big Elf and David like this.
  6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It's his life's work so I'd imagine he is very sincere. Still gotta wonder about his vetting of senior management prior to going hands-off, or how long it took him to find out and act, because it sounds like the larger problem has been growing for a long time, and he only got back into it when staff weren't being paid.

Wait and see, I guess.

The_Crapman likes this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Actions speak louder than words. They would have been better off saying nothing and paying up.

8. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

is this an ai translated vid? kinda feels off while watching it

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Totally not true, watercooling is getting increasingly massive in the server and enterprise space, so that'll more than sustain both companies. Consumer stuff is dwarfed by enterprise as always.

Vault-Tec and The_Crapman like this.
  10. The_Crapman

They've been busy doing that prior to releasing this statement. A lot of people now been paid. I can imagine they've halted all new supplier orders and are pulling as much money as they can from the enterprise section to clear the bills. It will still take time though.

Yeh he's been toying with ai translation on some vids rather than re-recording them in English, as thermal grizzly demands more of his time. I don't mind really, he's at least gone to the trouble of setting up an English channel for us ausländers

Last edited: 24 Apr 2024
  11. RedFlames

It would if EK or alphacoool were a major presence in that sphere. Which from what I've seen they are not. Fitting a couple of blocks to a couple of rack units and having Linus Tech Tit gush over it doesn't count as industry presence when the like of Supermicro will sell you a literal cooling tower as part of your whole rack/data centre cooling setup.

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Like the ones Linus just got for free?

13. Vault-Tec

I wasn't a huge fan of Linus before and I hate him now :D

That thing is the ultimate toy. I would actually kill for something like that :D

14. RedFlames

nope [skip to 6:40 if the timecode doesnt work]

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Ah. (timecode didn't work)

RedFlames likes this.
  16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

More detail:

The_Crapman likes this.
  17. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

i am never buying EK stuff again

The_Crapman and Vault-Tec like this.
  18. RedFlames

This is Ek's HQ...

I wonder how long before it's...

This was EK's HQ

19. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

I love GN I always end up watching the entire long-ass videos.

I hate GN I always end up watching the entire long-ass videos...

Byron C and Vault-Tec like this.
  20. Vault-Tec

I have always had that vibe after the way they treated b negs. I order directly from bitspower in Taiwan now. They really are lovely people to deal with.