1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors £1000 car for short commute

Discussion in 'General' started by Ljs, 19 Aug 2014.

1. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I use my car just go to the next room, its a large house though :hehe:

Seriously though I too live in the middle of no where there's two busses a day if you're lucky people here that dont drive either get everything delivered or arrange a minibus to take a load of them to and back from the local town to do their shopping, even the local corner shop is 6 miles away ffs

Last edited: 22 Sep 2014
  2. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Did you mention living in the middle of nowhere for it to be obvious? People are trying to give you advice as you could save up to a couple of grand a year if it was just for the commute for work (which again, is all I can see what you stated is what the need for the car is).

3. Thaifood

Thaifood Minimodder

A clio 1.2. Cheap tax cheap insurance and gets 400 miles with "short. Commutes

4. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

I appear to have rustled some jimmies!

As a matter of fact, I don't take the car for short trips. Happy to help!

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

My wife commutes just over 2 miles each day and has to have a car - she's a teacher like me and physically would not be able to carry all the stuff she brings home / takes to school on a bike (like books, planning, laptop etc) and that's before the fact that the route is unsafe for cyclists in my opinion...

Anyway, back on topic, for that price you should aim for something that will be as reliable as possible even if it's a bit older. My first car was a 10 year old VW polo, which iirc cost about £1100, that did me fine for a good few years - I'd definitely suggest something like that to you if there's something similar local to you.