1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by jrs77, 12 Feb 2015.

1. loftie

loftie Multimodder

50 Shades giving you ideas Neil? :hehe:

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

There is no fixed line of where, or what countries makeup Europe as it's changed over the years and will probably continue to change in the future.
    [​IMG]

3. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

That only shows the ECSE and EEC, different unions that came before the EU.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You seems to have missed all the other parts of the key on the right hand side.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well personally i would say Europe has no shared cultural or religious beliefs, it is nothing more than an economic organisation. That's not to say no counties in the EU share cultural, religious, or any other beliefs, it's that those shared similarities are not what define it.

6. elise_s1

elise_s1 What's a Dremel?

mentioning common roots....

Last edited: 14 Feb 2015
  7. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

To be fair, people from Ohio and California share a common US identity. Farmers in the US midwest might not share a common cultural identity with, say, people living in the Mayan peninsula. Yet, both are part of the North American continent. However, within the US there are certainly cultural norms and dialectical differences. Ask midwest farmers how they feel about those East Coast liberal elites, or ask the coastal states about all those irrelevant "flyover" states in the middle.

It's interesting to me that you desire an integrated Europe where Swedes feel a cultural identity with Portuguese. While I might recognize both as being part of a broader European base, from an American point of view I don't really think of the two as culturally linked. From my point of view the two have very different customs, music, food, etc.

Isn't that where most national boundaries ultimately start anyway? Most of my country is the way it is not because the Inuit shared a cultural link with Texans, but because politicians 'bought' huge swathes of land from unsuspecting indigenous people. I feel like you're trying too hard to create a some kind of in-group vs out-group boundary, as if your identity as a European is threatened if some other group is granted access.

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Asiarope?

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

An answer to something that even today is a matter of debate amongst many people. :)
    The European continent and Europe are (imho) two different things, the former is a geographical grouping, while the latter is an organisational structure.

10. Xir

Xir Modder

Don't worry, the way things are going, the Russians will draw a nice solid line for us soon.
    No influence from our side needed (or regarded) thank you.

11. silk186

silk186 Derp

It's funny, I hardly even think of the UK as being part of Europe. It doesn't use the Euro and I requires a seperate travel permit. Brits typically don't speak other languages. When I thought of backpacking across Europe after university I never considered visiting England. Now the UK wants to leave the EU to keep other Europeans out.

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Hopefully, if there is a referendum, enough people will see sense and vote to keep us in. The potential, indeed likely, economic consequences of leaving the EU would be disastrous.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Screw the economic consequences, I'm more concerned about losing the protection of the EU from our own government, it's the only thing standing in the way of the UK becoming an inverted totalitarian regime.

wolfticket likes this.
  14. elise_s1

elise_s1 What's a Dremel?

To be taken with a pinch of salt as the sample is only six countries.

Engraved using an ancient artifact

15. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

As far as I am concerned, Europe starts at Calais.

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'm with Corky, the EU is the only protection we have from the lunatics in Westminster.

17. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

^^^ Poignant...

It's a shame the majority of the world's population seems hell bent on destroying itself rather than appreciation of what we have.