1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling 3/8"ID vs 1/2" ID - Watercoolers of BT - what do you use?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 19 Feb 2013.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What OD though parge? I've been using 5/8" OD for years and it's never kinked under a normal bend, my 1/2" OD has collapsed on itself after a run of about 6" and needed strapping up with cable ties. Bit pikey.

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

3/8" ID and 1/2" OD here. I'd be tempted to use larger but then I'd have to buy new fittings and route tubing more exactingly.

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Ive used everything. I like 3'8th because it's good to work with especially Mastaklear, but it's soft and does kink. I find 1/2 inch a bit bulky. On my last build I used 7/16th XSPC gear on 1/2 inch barbs and it hangs on like so well it has to be cut off. That for me is the ideal stuff, but unfortunately there isn't a big choice of fittings like the other 2 sizes.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Just to update, I've treated myself to an entire new set of fittings (my first ever set of new fittings).

I've gone with 12x EK 3/8"ID 1/2"OD in black. I looked at some pics of black fittings and they looked ace.

I've also got some Masterkleer 3/8"ID 1/2"OD tubing coming too.

5. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Yes the Masterkleer tubing is probably the best I have used. It's what I have on my current rig. Compared to Primochill and other brands that I have experience with, it has a much softer wall so is less prone to kinking and manages to pull off tighter bends.

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Haha, exactly the same combo I used in my current build :thumb:

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, I went for the EK 3/8 - 1/2 comp fittings with white Masterkleer, when I last rebuilt my loop.

Agreed - you can kink it, but only if you expect too much from it.

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I've always used 1/2" first with 5/8" OD tygon which did kink like a mofo. Then when I did my current build I replaced all my compression fittings so I could use regular 3/4" OD with primoflex.
    I like 1/2" as I just feel the thicker tubing looks better and really no other reason. I don't have problem with radius since I designed and built my 'case' around my WC set up so everything has nice wide bends and a pretty optimal arrangement.

I have the EK black fittings. I got them when they first came out and found that the finish stains light color tubing quite badly.

9. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

3/8ID 5/8OD with compression fittings. Works like a charm. Like it was mentioned earlier, kinking has more to do with wall thickness than inner tubing diameter.

10. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

4 loops of 1/2 id 3/4 od Tygon.

Did have a corsair cool which got me into watercooling which i think was smaller tubing,

I dont have any space issues in my case, so 1/2 id and not have to worry about kinks as i can let the tube fall wherever it wants to go.

Im still after that elusive liquid to tubing, without clouding combo.

That dam Mayhems nano fluid turns the edges of xspc reses red (i think from the zinc oxide.

Slight thread derail sorry, but you made me remeber that, another £40 wasted.

Last edited: 19 Feb 2013
  11. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

3/8" for my latest loop. I found it liked to kink a little too much for my liking, so I'll probably go 3/4" when I've got the money to rebuild.

I know I've got about 4M Of white 3/4" OD tubing in the cupboard, so I plan to use that at the earliest opportunity.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

what's this inch stuff.... I have tiny 8mm piping works a treat does not kink.

13. Parge

Right Folks, to update.

Just completed my new build (thread coming soon), and used ½” OD tubing (10-13mm) instead of my old ¾” OD tubing and I am VERY pleased. At this stage its very unlikely I’ll be going back to the larger tubing in future builds.

There are 3 main reasons I like this width over the larger sizes
    • Width of tubing doesn’t obstruct views motherboard/CPU as much – previously, the tubing/compression fittings were so large that you could hardly see the details in the CPU block (plexi), as well as obscuring the motherboard.
    • Compression fittings are easier to screw into tight spaces, and fit better (ie, where they exit a Rad, right next to fans)
    • Much easier to work with – far more flexible

For those watercooling for the first time, or those building in a mid sized ATX case, I’d definitely recommend this size.

14. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

3/8" solid copper tubing, pneumatic push fits.

15. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I use 1/2" tubing and always will. I've used 3/8" tubing and found temps were hotter with a more restricted flow. So hence my preference on 1/2". :)

16. Parge

From what I've read there is barely 1c in it, in two identical systems (same pump etc) the 3/4" tubing carries more water, but the 1/2" tubing carries the water faster.

EDIT: Found an article:

Last edited: 20 Mar 2013
  17. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Will have to do some testing when I change my tubing in the 1st week of April, up to now unless it's true that the Obsidian 900D is delayed till the end of May.

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

It's a tough call, as I was seeing around 10c difference, and the tubing/water temp was always warm to the touch, compared to the 1/2" tubing.

I think the test needed to be done over a period of time, as it will take a few hours to get the water temp running at it's set standard daily use. This is where you will see the differences.

Leaving a PC idle for hrs on end and then playing a 30min game, is not going to get these water temps up. So testing, with playing a game for a couple of hrs, will show you the true results. So this is where I was seeing my 10c differences. :)

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It's difficult to replicate results that way. It's probably better to run Prime and Heaven together for an hour and compare between setups - Skinnee's Labs ran a comparison of hose sizes vs flow rates vs temps a few years ago.

I'll try and find the link.

20. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yeah, I agree, something like that on continuous loops, will show real time results. :)