1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 3 way sli, screen flickers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IvanLV, 11 Jul 2012.

1. IvanLV

IvanLV What's a Dremel?

I just installed my 3rd gtx 680 and attached the 3way sli bridge. They are all gtx 680's with 2gigs video ram each (I know there's a 4gig card out there). I have a corsair ax1200w power supply. 3way sli is turned on through my nvidia control panel and I have the latest drivers. I have the Crosshair V mobo, the 3rd card was installed from the 2nd to the last slot (the only place it'd fit in conjuction with the sli bridge).

No matter what game I boot up, the screen flickers badly. If i try to run the game it freezes. I've 'wiggled' the sli bridge with a game running, screen still flickers. I've checked all the cards, they seem to be inserted fully.

Could this be a bad card?

When I was running 2way sli there were no issues so I'm guessing its the new card or bridge.

Please help, turning off sli for now till the problem is resloved.

*I just installed the beta drivers (304.79) to see if it'd help. No luck.

*Roommate had spare SLI bridge, swapped out, still flickers, will try 3rd card by itself in the a.m., thx for the replys guys.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2012
  2. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

Try 3rd card on its own and see how it fairs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

3. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

test new card by itself...… then you should quickly find out if its the new card... also try reinstalling the drivers ive heard of that being a problem

otherwise awesome setup!!!

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

In Nvidia control panel, click on system info and click on each GPU and see what bus speed your cards are ruining at. I.E x16 x8 x4. :)

They should be running at x16 x8 x8 at PCI-E 2.0. Me and Pook did a test back along on PCI-E 2.0 x16 vs x8 speeds, and there was a 10% drop from x16 to x8. This was using GTX 580's.

As the GTX 680's require more bandwidth. I think this is where your problem lies.

Check out this video to see what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Jul 2012
  5. IvanLV

IvanLV What's a Dremel?

not the card, not the bridge

I removed all but the new 3rd card (put in 16x spot). Fired up a few games, card is fine. Roommate had a spare sli bridge, used that, still flickers.

I updated my mobo bios using asus update. Scared the sh*t out of me because it didn't look for my raid after restart, simple fix, set sata's to raid, rig boots up fine, windows starts as normal. I'm at a loss, I dont know what to do. I can build computers no problem but this kind of issue is above my pay grade.

Some further tests...

I DL and installed EVGA's Precision X software. I monitored all three cards in multiple setups (2way sli mixing between different cards). All three cards were 'working' from what I can gather. I assumed all three cards would work just as hard i.e. the same frequency. The card in #1 spot (16x) frequency varied. It seemed to hover around 324mhz and raise to 1056 occasionally then back down while the 2nd card (8x) would stay around 1056+. It did this no matter which card was in the 16x slot.

I ran WoW, Swtor in window'd mode, flickering stops but its choppy as hell, not smooth at all. Set back to fullscreen in WoW, I noticed my FPS were holding at 30. Running it in 2way sli or just one card I get 60fps. Not sure what this means but its safe to assume I'm a sad panda atm. Nvidia's forums are currently down, won't be up till next week. If anyone else has some insite I sure would appreciate it.

6. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Are the three cards from the same manufacturer and the same model? If not, try setting them to the same frequencies (that is, not letting them negotiate the lowest denominator). Or, you might just try underclocking all of them, just for a test. Can't hurt.

Have you tried the Asus forums/support? There might be some Crosshair V quirks you're not aware of.

7. IvanLV

IvanLV What's a Dremel?

same

all three cards are gtx 680 from evga. I'll check ROG forums.