1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus ROG Strix Z270G Gaming Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 30 Jan 2017.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That's a lot of bread for a board but I gotta admit I am sitting here in a puddle of drool.

I really do love these new Strix boards. So elegant and classy.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Sitting here with a 4770K and a Maximus VI Gene, so this mobo is likely to be my next one.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Mobo costs have been around this point for anything labled ( Asus Rog gaming) for a while now.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, this is about the going rate for this tier of motherboard. Still too dear imo but it's not as if this is a big price hike over the previous generation. It's also not quite as eye-watering as the £250+ Z270 efforts we've seen recently.

6. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

Aye, price point is what I'd expect for the "entry level" ROG. They make quality motherboards do Asus but can't for the life of me think why I'd bother to move from my 4790k and Ranger at present.

Why do board makers always factor in their onboard soundcard effort though, so many own a dedicated card that it would be nice to have the option of buying the stripped out version for a few quid less.

7. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

MicroATX = the most pointless form factor out there.

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Totally disagree - it allows you to go smaller than ATX without going to the extreme of mini ITX. I was going to base my X99 build on mATX but ultimately decided to go for ATX because I could get it cheaper.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Three and four way SLI are dead (crossfire soon to follow).
    Consumer Pci-e SSDs have been stomped into the ground by the M.2 offerings.
    Soundcards have vanished from 99.9% of PCs.

There really aren't that many scenarios left where you need anything bigger than MATX.

10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Same - I think that my next build will probably be MicroATX as that way I can have what I want (1 GPU and 1 PCIE soundcard) without having tons of leftover space. Should allow for a smaller case than what I currently have too.

11. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I'd argue there's nothing extreme about mini-ITX either. It's smaller, but if you don't need more than one GPU then what are you losing? You still get dual-channel memory, decent on-board audio, at least one M.2 port and as Anfield says...

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

For me personally, uATX is all I'll ever need, which makes ATX pointless :D That said, I'm not sure that I'd bother with uATX when mITX offers almost everything that uATX does but in a smaller footprint. The only reason to go with uATX is to be able to use PCIE cards, but given how well-specced most mITX boards are now, I can't think of a reason for me to require add-in cards.

Obviously there are plenty of people out there who do need expansion slots, so mITX isn't suitable. Horses for courses and all that :)

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Maybe not the form-factor in and of itself, but many completed mini-ITX builds are most definitely extremes in that they are "as compact as possible". My Thermalright cooler is 171mm tall... too big even for some ATX cases, and certainly not on any mini-ITX builds I've seen!

So it's kind of a given that if you're buying a mini-ITX board, you'll also be buying a mini-ITX case and that's where the constraints are to be found.

Right now, the sweet spot for me is an appropriately wide ATX case without drive bays. Much smaller footprint but plenty space for drives and such.

Tags: Add Tags