Networks 8 port gigabit switch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrisc1277, 11 Nov 2013.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Amen to that. Cisco > all really :)

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

It's the truth! I sell mainly cisco switches as they are so consistently good, or HP switches if people are being cheapos, but all HP stuff is basically rehashed 3com stuff which makes me sad on the inside.

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I read that as 'manly' Cisco switches. Grrrrr!

4. Unicorn

My Dell 5324's are also rock solid, but not exactly taxed as much as they would be in a datacenter cabinet environment :)

5. Margo Baggins

I quite like the dell switches, I have a couple of those at home, but I think mine are 29** maybe, I can't remember model number, has a switch to make it smart or dumb too an I like that.

it's very manly stuff :)

6. jinq-sea

I've got one of those. It's triggered by beer.

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Nov 2013
  7. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

i have a netgear 8 port one (it's white?) which has lasted me 4+ years i guess. it's only 5Gbit backplane bandwidth, but never been an issue in my home network.

I managed to pick up an entry level d-link managed switch when i moved home and got ethernet run through the walls. Got it as b-grade/open box for 45 quid, 16 port :) I understand most of it's features from work, but the only thing I've used on it is the web interface to check which ports are connected, if you had a need for anything advanced you'd probably know about it.

I'd agree cisco > netgear, but netgear stands a good chance at being a bit cheaper, and more than sufficient for home use in my experience.

8. Unicorn

I have been probably forever put off Netgear for the simple reason that a non-contracted cowboy engineer ripped two of my Dell managed switches out of one of my managed installs and replaced them with cheaper, lower spec Netgear unmanaged switches, and still couldn't figure out why the network wasn't working after that. What's worse is that he was charging the company almost 1.5x retail price for them. I damn near drove 10 miles to feed them to him when I was done cleaning up his mess :grr:

My sig is relevant :rolleyes:

9. Margo Baggins

We should start a national company called "Matt's IT", and never tell anyone there is two of us, and provide impeccable unrivaled IT services to people far and wide, and people would never know how one person was able to cover such a large area. Then we could hire a few more people, as long as they are called Matt.

10. jinq-sea

I'd change my name to be involved. It sounds great.

As for switches, I've got an 8 port managed Cisco and a 24 port managed Netgear in my rack because Cisco was too ££ :(

11. Unicorn

I'm all for it as long as we can use someone else's name. That way, if and when something does go wrong and a customer isn't happy, I don't get it in the neck! :D

/passingthebuck

12. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I'm up for this... last I checked it was £50 to change my name by deed poll (part of a hair brain scheme to get driving again with a clean licence with the name Ivory Tickles.) So for the sake of one of the most elaborate jokes that someone will never understand, reveal or pull a punch line because of the likelihood of it surfacing on Joe ****'s radar, I'd change my name to Matt.