1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows A lot of bluescreens...

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Fujukami, 25 Jul 2012.

1. Fujukami

Fujukami What's a Dremel?

Good day!

So, lets get into the gist of it: The system in question is an Asus G71 gx running windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I randomly get bluescreen errors. I have no idea why, since the recurrence of these BSDs have no apparent frequency. Sometimes I leave the laptop on for more than 4 days and no bluescreen, sometimes it hits while nothings running in the background.

I must mention that I have not installed any RAM or changed any of the HDD's. Everything is stock, right up to the clock speeds.

Out of the brief glimpse I can get from the BSD, it says something along the lines of "PAGE_FAULT_ ERROR" or "Buffer overrun...." "SYSTEM_FAULT...." Doesn't leave the screen on long enough for me to take notes.

The temperatures are normal, in load the GPU will do somewhere around 80 degrees celsius.

When I do manage to log onto windows: it does say something along the lines of: BC Code 50 and so on.

If there is any other information I can give that might assist with this problem, I will.

I must mention that the original OS was Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

Any help is greatly appreciated, these BSD's are rendering the laptop neigh on unusable.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Ok quiet simple.
    Get MemTest x86 (http://www.memtest.org/), it's free. It's a boot from disk program which test your RAM. This will tell you if their is anything wrong with your memory. This takes a while.

If no error is found, than the problem is your HDD that is faulty or corrupted, or your SATA cable is broken. You can try a disk repair from Windows (right-click on the C:\ drive > Properties > Tools > Check Now). Once done, if the problem still persist then it's probably time to backup all your stuff.

NOTE: The above assumes that:
    -> Your SATA controller is working perfectly (cause that could be the problem, but it's rare).
    -> Your SATA controller is set to AHCI mode, and not IDE mode.
    -> Your SATA controller drivers (motherboard drivers if you use one from Intel) are installed and are the latest version.

3. Fujukami

I do believe that the motherboard drivers are the problem here, now that you mention it, however I have no idea where to download the drivers for the laptop's motherboard.

4. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

5. Fujukami

6. Fujukami

Running memtest right now, hopefully (or not) it will find something wrong. Otherwise I'm just kinda out of ideas. I'll check the cables afterwards as well. That might just be the simple problem to fix.

7. Phalanx

Sounds like it might be a generic intel chipset. In that case, just run a windows update and check the "Optional" tab for updates. They submit direct to MS for updates through WUS.

8. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

If Windows Update doesn't find any chipset drivers, here are the direct links to the chipset and Rapid Storage Technology drivers straight from Intel.

9. Fujukami

well thus far, its 3 and a half hours running in memtest and nothing's come up (Pass: 2 Errors: 0)
    But as I see it it will take a long while still.

10. Phalanx

Fujukami, go into the F8 screen when loading the OS and choose Disable Automatic System Restart. Then when it bluescreens, it will leave the error on-screen.

11. Fujukami

Well its been running for 8 hours, and all tests are pass. I have never used memtest before, so I'm not sure if I should leave all the tests running or can I narrow it down? (i.e. select test number 0-11). Which test should I run.

12. Deders

Deders Modder

In my experience the windows memory tester picks up on more errors than Memtest, you can access it by pressing f8 at boot then Tab for more options (iirc). Or by typing windows memory diagnostic in to the start menu search bar.

Also for some reason Intel's chipset drivers setup doesn't always install all of the drivers if the microsoft ones are already there, even of they aren't as up to date. To force new drivers to be installed you have to use the -overall switch.

I usually do this by putting a shortcut on the desktop to the driver .exe and adding -overall to the target box in the shortcut properties after the quotation marks, then using the shortcut to load the drivers.