1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling A tale of watercooling a Fractal Design Define XL R2 (finished!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Korvus, 27 Feb 2013.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

That's how I would have set up the case if I'd ever got around to actually bother modding it.

I know some people swear by Laing D5's, but I've used nothing but DDC's since '05, and they've never done me wrong, and haven't had one die on me yet. If I were using a big case with large lenghts of tube and had the added space the D5 takes, I'd chose it over the DDC these days, especially with all the pump-tops available for them.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I've used both, and I prefer the D5 Vario. You can wind it up to full power quickly when bleeding the system - it helps dislodge air pockets.

Teelzebub likes this.
  3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

To be honest, I've never really found bleeding to be all that much of a fuss...

Its easier just tilting the case around to get the bubbles to the reservoir than running the system for a while and topping up.. never really seems to take more than about 20 minutes.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Ah sad times! Well if it does start behaving then defo post! Also, I hope you don't mind me talking about the Define XL setup I'm planning in your thread, let me know if it bothers you and I'll start another one :thumb:

Yeah, I had a 10W DDC that was pretty loud at full load. The 18W MCP355 I'm using is wired in to my BigNG so spins up or down depending on load. I've still found it likes to vibrate a little, but I'm hoping the below might totally cure that, as previously I've always had it hard mounted in a pump/bay res or directly to the chassis. This time, instead of a drive bay pump/res, I was planning earlier I've changed it up, and am planning on using a 250mm EK Multioption tower res (love them!) and then mounting the pump in the 5.25" bays on a shoggy sandwich (dampener/decoupler) that I had kicking around. This will make feeding the tubing straight into the 360 much easier

[​IMG]
    Untitled by Penderyn, on Flickr

I've fixed the 360 XT with 3x GT1850s and what do you know - 68mm exactly! I'll have to wait til the weekend before I can properly test whether they fit or not. Check out the new layout below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Mar 2013
  5. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

The Corsair SP performance fans are silly loud. I have 8 running at 7v and they're pretty loud. 12v sounds like the case is throttling for take-off.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Are they? Interesting. Do you think I'd be better going with two GT1850s? I have two spare here.

In fairness, they won't be running at all until the water temps in my loop rise - I'll have the BigNG setup so only the two AFs will be running at idle/light use, with the GTs and SPs kicking in when CPU/GPU use pushes the water temps up.

7. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Given the amount of radiator surface area you will be playing with, I think undervolting the GT's and leaving them at a constant 7v will be more than sufficient to keep a cpu and a single gpu in check.

Just for comparison, I have 2 570's, a oc'd 950 and the motherboard all underwater and cooled by a 480 rad. Admittedly, I do plan on adding an extra 240 just for piece of mind, but it manages as is.

8. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

Well! Thanks to a (deliberately) broken motherboard from fingers66 I have a final word now on if a 45mm, 120 or 140 based, will fit.
    [​IMG]
    No. No it won't.

Stay tuned for good news though later tonight :D

9. David

That socket is *awfully* close to the edge of the board - how does your board compare? Any components near the edge?

10. Korvus

Very similar placement, and a nice plastic thermal armour cover too...

11. Korvus

I got more stuff :D
    [​IMG]
    That is a very nice radiator. Very impressed.

12. David

I use that tubing, it's great - very flexible - and that rad looks like the Nexxxos UT60 full copper; which I also have in my rig. :D

It's a superb radiator - the G1/4" bleed socket is perfect for fitting a drain valve.

13. Korvus

It's actually the Nexxxos Monsta :D 80mm :D

14. David

Oh, you bought the Monsta then - nice one. I do like Alphacool rads.

15. Korvus

[​IMG]
    :D:D:D

In before girth related innuendo jokes... :worried: this is just perfect for "that's what she said" references.:rolleyes:

Last edited: 6 Mar 2013
  16. Korvus

Still not decided on the back/roof radiators, but as I don't have the GPU on water yet (waiting for the 780/880 series) I have some time to think about the options. Asked Alphacool if they plan to do a 280 30mm thick rad, which would be the best option :D EDIT: THEY ARE DOING! Will be available around june :D Fantastic news.

However, not certain on the front fans: should I make a shroud/grommet/whatever to use the two 140mm fans at the front of the case, or have 120mm fans in their place?
    EDIT: After testing, the 140s are much quieter so will be going with those :)

Last edited: 12 Mar 2013
  17. Korvus

Thought I'd keep you all updated on my current plans for the build :D

Trying to find some 5mm black acrylic to fabricate an "airtight" mount for the monsta rad on the front so as much of the air from the front 140mm fans is used as possible. Have found a few places to get it from but any recommendations are welcome.

Remaining watercooling kit to buy:
    *Pump - D5, likely an Aquacomputer (pump only, no casing) with RPM signal
    *Reservoir - XSPC Dualbay D5
    *CPU Block - Going for the Alphacool NexXxoS XP³ as it's very minimalist.

Will be getting the top rad once I upgrade my GPU :)
    Will update this thread at some point with a pic of the mounting plate I'll be fabricating with the acrylic.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2013
  18. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

These guys do pretty much every kind of acrylic you could ever want.

19. Korvus

Great if you want a huge ammount.. I'm only after about an a3 sized sheet :lol:
    Thanks though :)

EDIT: May keep an eye on them for future potential scratch builds though.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2013
  20. David

You can buy in small quantities on ebay - generally more expensive in comparison though.