1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Abysmal internet speeds on 60mb fibre

Discussion in 'General' started by Tangster, 14 Jan 2013.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Doesn't make sense to me - I also have VM 60Mb and just got 59.97 on speedtest.net :(

I also get consistently high download speed over 5MB/s from popular places like Utorrent Microsoft etc. :naughty:

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

It's probably the area. In Coventry I got similar speeds to you, but we were really close to the junction box.

Another plus, I saw two VM vans at the end of the road today, looks like there might be some work being done on improving speeds on my road.:thumb:

3. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

It is VERY dependent on your local infrastructure. My area was an NTL area, always had and still have superb service. It's up to 30Mbit for me but in reality I get around 31Mbit.

Also, you're always best off using the Superhub as a pure modem and getting your own router to do the routing work.

4. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Last time everyone ended up running cables directly from the "super"hub. Must've ve over 50m of cable in the house.:thumb:

Can't do it here though, the only connection is in the front bedroom. I'll live, it could be far worse.

5. GeordieStew

GeordieStew Minimodder

We're on 30Mb and at around 1830 every day the connection goes into the toilet. 200k ish. They claim it's a contention issue with some heavy users in the area.

I rang up in December, they said it'd be fixed by 15th Jan at 1500 (I guess they're upgrading some hardware. They gave me money off my bill to compensate. I'm currently working in Poland so can't check...but if it's not fixed when I get home there shall be words being had.

Sadly our exchange isn't upgraded to infinity (and no current plans) so can only go down to ADSL (which i will do if Virgin don't sort their **** out).

6. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

Can you get BT Infinity instead? Impressed with mine.

[​IMG]

7. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

From steam on my Virgin 30Mb connection (still thinking wtf)

[​IMG]