1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Acrylic prism effect

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mark_dsp, 24 Jun 2010.

1. mark_dsp

mark_dsp Access to HF, bones are overrated!

I'm planning to build a new case and I'd like to give it an arctic theme. :brrr:

My plan for the window design is to go with a a snow arch with clear acrylic below and a prismatic aroura borealis like effect above, whilst keeping it at least semi transparent.

Before I dive into the lab at work and requisition our coatings chemist to make me something that will do just that I was wondering if there is a lot simpler way of achieving this, like some sort of laminate or treated panel.

Any bright ideas appreciated; terrible pun...

First post by the way. I'll take some pics and post as I go along.

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The only thing I can think to do would be to do a pool reflection effect. -A big, flat reservoir with a layer of air and lights shining through it.

3. mark_dsp

mark_dsp Access to HF, bones are overrated!

Had a sit down in the lab, ruined a pair of shoes in the process... I now have sparkly silver PPE shoes.

I've ordered a few acrylic samples and some paint samples to play with. Hopefully pearlescent paint with a light source behind should give a little shimmering. For the green/white/red etc band effect of the aroura I'm going to try some wavy diagonally etched bands. I'm hoping these will refract the light from some LEDS to give a diffused glow affect across the bands. Failing that I'm certain that enough lasers to destroy the earth will certainly have that effect!

In theory I'd like to keep the acrylic clear but if that fails darkening the glass and etching through it should do the trick.

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Holographic tape might give a better prism effect. It's hard to get the angle right on a plexi prism.