1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Ad design contest - $100 USD prize

Discussion in 'General' started by Cthippo, 20 Jan 2010.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Hey everybody,

I need an ad designed and since I'm not too good at such things I thought I'd throw it out there for all you creative types. The contest runs from now until January 31, 2010. Target submission date for the finished ad is Feb. 12 for the Feb. 17th issue. Winner will be announced and prize awarded on Feb 5th (depending on your time zone). Submissions can be posted to this thread.

This is going to be a display personals ad which I'm going to run in the local newspaper. Target audience is single women age 25-35 who are looking for a relationship. The text and one of the pictures below must be used, but beyond that it's fair game.

Full ad specifications are available at the Cascadia Weekly website. Size is 5 inches wide by 6 inches high (the 6 unit square quarter page on the spec page). Ads can be in color, however ideally they should also look good in black and white as well.

The entry with the best ad will recieve their choice of either $100 USD by Paypal or a $100 electronic gift card to the retailer of their choice and a copy of the newspaper with the ad in it. I reserve the right to use other submissions at a future date, however anyone who posts an submission which actually gets run will get a copy of the ad in print. Winner may be asked to make changes prior to submission.

Thanks and good luck!

ad text:

Ad image:

Picture may be cropped so long as it still shows my face.

http://208.64.28.82/~cthippoc/btf/ad_pic.jpg

[​IMG]

or

http://208.64.28.82/~cthippoc/btf/e--chris1.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Jan 2010
  2. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Ill be the first to ask..... why?
    Is this a serious or funny ad?
    You should supply an e-mail addy to prevent people from copying/stealing layouts/ideas :)

3. Cthippo

It's serious, I've used the display ad approach before with great success.

If people are concerned about plagiarism I'm willing to supply an email address, but i would really rather keep this transparent. If I were entering I would be pissed if an entry I had never seen won.

4. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Will you have a site at www.cthippo.com (all I get is an index page) when the ad goes out as if not is this not rather pointless?

5. Cthippo

Yeah, I have the info for the webpage, but it's not up yet. It will be before the ad goes to print

6. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

My advice even though you didn't ask for it? Change the pic. The shades hide your eyes. It sounds gay I know but that's one of the most important bits in a photo.

7. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Quick question, can we but designed by... at the bottom of the completed ad? For recognition :)

8. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

what.

9. Cthippo

Yeah, I suppose, if it's small.

10. Cthippo

Small update, cthippo.com is now live, though it will probably be changed some before the ad runs.

11. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I know this is going to sound harsh, and I don't mean it to, but...

What the hell? Dating/romance/whatever isn't meant to be some kind of "Well here's my CV/Resume... do I get the job?" kinda deal... just seems kinda weird to me to be completely honest...

But to each their own and all that jazz, I wish you luck never the less!

12. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

inside the bitter, malcontent, constantly bored, black heart of mine. there is a shred of humanity within me which wants this to succeed for you. Good luck bro, you are putting a lot on the line and I admire that.

smc8788 likes this.
  13. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Just checked the site... Oh my god...

Yeah good luck. Maybe it works, I wouldn't know.

14. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

no need to be harsh.

15. Cthippo

The reason I'm so fond of this approach is that it has worked for me before.

In 2005 I ran a Google AdSense ad and got one response, but that one response led to a 8 month relationship.

In 2006 I ran a display ad in the local newspaper and got one response. That relationship lasted 2 1/2 years.

I know it's an unconventional approach, but it has worked better than anything else I've tried. I posted an ad on Craigslist, and got nothing but spam. I tried eHarmony, but they rejected me as not fitting into one of their scientifically predefined categories. Conventiopnal dating sites have gotten me nowhere, and I don't know anyone "in real life" who is what I'm looking for.

I know that I'm not anywhere near your normal "I have a dog, I like football and I love music" kind of guy. I'm eccentric, perhaps even unique, and I'm looking for someone who is literally one in a million, or at least one in 10,000. I don't have the time or patience to wait to randomly meet that person, and so I need to cast a wide net and let the other 9,999 decide that I'm not the one for them.

16. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Get a cat it could be easier :p (at least you still got *****)

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]

Of course, "Made in Cascadia" should really read your place of birth but I had to guess. "Since 1979" is your assumed date of birth (guessing from your age).

The label is derived from Jack Daniels. Of course you may be more of a Bourbon man. :p

mvagusta likes this.
  18. Cthippo

Wow, I like that!

mvagusta likes this.
  19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You could add lines like: " No Artificial Ingredients", "Refresingly Different" and "Depth of Character" :D

20. Cthippo

well, I guess we have a winner (if by default), so congratulations Nexxo!

I'll PM you with details and to arrange payment of the prize.