1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Alienware widescreen monitors go curvy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jan 2008.

1. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

I would pay good money if this was like 2 of the 24" dells.

2. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

can you imagine multiple monitors using this set up say 3 of these and all of a sudden you have a true 180 degree field of vision in ut2k4

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Basic business, it's a new technology, cost of development needs to be recovered. Production of OLEDs can be very efficient, the design and development of them (and the manufacturing process) is the expensive bit. That's the main reason why prices of a new technology drop after time, remember when DVD players used to cost thousands of pounds? A child could buy one now with a month or twos worth of pocket money. It looks like it's going to take a few more years yet before we see decent sized OLED displays on the mass market.

It couldn't be curved it it were two widescreen panels though.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2008
  4. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Well, we do have 8800's and HD38xx cards, dual link dvi cables, as well as the new Display Port, i don't think there would be a problem with the cards or connections for these resolutions. Also, bear in mind, people who buy these have more money than sence and would therefore have 8800's or HD38xx cards.

Sam

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

The only problem is actually getting games to run at those resolutions, not framerate I mean.

6. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

few points here....

OLEDs are not with us yet for anything practical. There are prototypes and one VERY expensive model from sony. But for the msot part they havent refined the manufacture of them well enough for a viable MTBF yet. They are close no doubt . But not there yet. I could see this as a possibility in about 3-4 yeard for a GOOD OLED monitor like this.

Second point. It is true you cant curve an existing LCD. But there is nothing stopping anyone from manufacturing a curved LCD. Maybe the cost was too high so they skipped out on it.

I think there are a few factors stopping me from being interest. 1. I love some DLPs and the Sony projectors are amazing. But not like this. the brightness and detail just don't look like they would be as good. 2. The resolution sucks. I haven't had anything under 1024 tall since i had windows 3.1. 3. the fact that its 4 displays would annoy me.

my 24 cents or so

7. xion

xion Minimodder

this... is... cool! Realy, just a concept atm but it would be awsome to pair this with the Wiimote head tracking concept for true 3D Virtual desktop, now that would be cheesecake - with extra cheese!!! :p

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't think it's 4 displays, just 4 panels. I think they've made it so it act's like one display.

9. haggisathome

haggisathome What's a Dremel?

i don't know or care but that is one sick looking screen .............. i want one :jawdrop:

10. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

It looks good but the technology behind it is too ahead of it's time. Something like that falls into the "If you're gonna do it, do it right" catagory and I think they should delve further into the concept. Plus 900 is too crappy, and the .02ms has to be exaggerated. Close, but no cigar IMO.

Tags: Add Tags