1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Am I part of the problem?

Discussion in 'General' started by boiled_elephant, 18 Dec 2011.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Hmm, seems we're looking at things the same way then, Nexxo.

If you left here, where would you go?

2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Absolutely not. You're not a part of the problem and neither are any number of people who were in the mankz thread thinking that they might be. It's very wrong to generalise and, of course, within the newer people there are some gems who are contributing to multiple areas BUT it can't be denied that those which many people would consider to be part of the problem generally seem to have 2011 at the end of their join date.

3. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

Ok, I've been a member since the 11th of March 2004. In that time I've lurked, I've posted, I've whined, I've helped others and I've been helped by others and the only thing that's been consistent is that Bit-Tech has changed and evolved. The only thing that hasn't changed is the fact that it changes.

boiled_elephant, are you part of the problem isn't the question. The question should be is there a problem and the answer would be No!

It's in the nature of Bit-Tech members to disagree occasionally, if we didn't, most of us would probably have left years ago.

Yes we come up with some insane ideas, some of which then work. Your demote thread being one of them. Some of them don't, such as the home built fully functional iron man suit.

So sit back, open a beverage of your choice, and read some threads. :)

Porkins' Wingman and lp1988 like this.
  4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Not really mate! The only beef I can ever remember having was the 'Xonar Incident' but that's all water under the bridge right!

You raise some interesting points about us not slagging each other off directly, which I acknowledge, but frankly, its better that way. The amount of times I've actually cursed someone in real life I can count on one hand, so I don't want to do it on the net either, it would be a much nicer place to hang out if most people felt similarly.

Mankz may have left because he thought the place had changed for the worse, but really, if someone can point me to a more friendly community anywhere on the internet then I'll give them plenty of +rep because I've never seen one!

5. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Very true.

6. vodkas666

vodkas666 What's a Dremel?

I know I post infrequently. Does that make me part of the problem. Also when you play devil's advocate it gets other people thinking of other aspects, which can only be good, despite many people who hate others for doing this.

Also if I remember rightly it was your introduction to bit-tech and many posts that got me to sign up in the first place.

7. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

I believe that the "problems" stated are people making posts that seem more like a youtube troll post, or blatant personal attacks, and not a part of a thought out discussion.

Posting infrequently is not a problem if you consider every post, quality over quantity at any time and there are many of us that aren't interested in all the subjects discussed so a low post count is never a problem.

8. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Nail. Head. Done.

9. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

haha :thumb: i like the **** off newbs banner idea :naughty: of course i don't mean it. Who are newbs and who cares really and the attitude of it was better in my day, yeah right, i've been on forums since 1998 on and off and the times i've seen that sort of **** banded about is ridiculous on forums over the years.

<<<<<<<< That's a sweeping comment :hehe:

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I refer the Honourable Gentlemen to the answer I gave some posts ago. :D

(Post 18) :lol:

11. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

It is yes and I'm not for one moment saying that it's ALL people but some of them have been guilty of excessive flaming and bitching. A lot of those who have come along more recently have rapidly become highly valued members in a short space of time, an example is LennyRhys with great advice being given out in the hardware section and constructive comments in modding/project logs; gets the feel/spirit/whatever of the forums and fits in to it. (I did also note your pleasant tone, I just felt i should explain a fairly generalising comment a bit more in the interest of fairness).

Every forum/site/community will have a distinct attitude within it and after trying several (at first i assumed bit-tech would be a little fanboyish so avoided it if i'm totally honest) i came here and found it to be to my tastes and so didn't use the others i had come across since i didn't really get them. OcUK has a decent enough forum for modding and hardware but there's a sense of humour there that i just don't get and so didn't stay. I guess I just don't get why some people tend to stick around just to cause hassle when they don't fit with what's going on, there's plenty about and surely everyone can find somewhere that fits them.

tl;dr Yes, sorry I should have worded it better/fairer. Maybe people should find a forum that fits them better instead of causing hassle in one that doesn't.

Meh, I have a painkiller addled brain right now and it could well be the fairies posting for me.

12. Canon

Canon Reformed

We don't have a problem. Mankz had a problem, he left, that solved his problem.

tl;dr

We're all done here.

13. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Word for today is "Peckerwoodism"

14. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I feel Ryu_ookami's post wins out over yours though - he gave an answer rather than leaving us all hanging :p

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

:lol:

Should we randomly flame each other about that point? :D

Grrr :grr::lol:

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/ It's small and quiet, but I know the founder guys there and they are all hard-core modders and good people.

Else we can always start our own. :p

17. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Well if you do start your own I will be very interested! Hopefully I have a decent reputation (if anyone actually notices my various posts).

18. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

You certainly do, with me anyway! :)

19. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

That would be interesting.

Still got a soft spot for Bit though, even though the clientèle, and the mission statement seem to have changed beyond recognition.

20. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

You know things are going to pot when Nexxo is thinking of leaving...

OP: I don't think any one person is responsible. I think it's more a general change in direction for bit-tech as a whole. You're in the clear as far as i'm concerned :)