1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD hits its targets thanks to console APU deals

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 22 Jan 2014.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Servers. The next big thing in server is custom server products that are totally tailor made for clients workloads, rather than buying off the shelf.

CPU sales dropping 25% is exactly what AMD fans need to understand: the investment for themselves and partners to commit is just getting less and less attractive as ROI risk increases.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Sounds like its happy to be a APU / GPU seller for its future. Does remove any intrest from enthusaists though. Will the fx8300 series be the last of the mid to high end chips that we see from them you wonder.

As ive said in other topics AMD are not really in Retail anymore, If you go into pc world its all intel based pcs, Similar story on Dells website, Lenova sell 2 AMD pcs with older chips in them. HP do a few laptops but no desktops.

They have suffered in the retail sector in recent years where id think there APUs would make a decent cheap pc ( Sub £400 market that some companies aim for ) without that market cap to aim for there cpu sales will likely continue to drop off.

The amount of people who own a AMD chip is getting less and less on these sorts of forums, Where the average build is all Intel chips these days. Thats a problem if your not selling to retail as you are reliant on enthusaists to be intrested and buy your chips.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We're just about to get new roadmaps for 2014 and it's the first question I'm gonna ask since it's relevant to ROG.

ROG has a lot of AMD fans we'd effectively loose (since they'd rather never upgrade than buy an Intel rig) and I really hope so because it gets boring going "Hey, buy this, uh, Intel motherboard, again, and only one of 3 CPUs to do overclocking...".

4. Xir

Xir Modder

considering the Euro-to-Dollar conversion rate back then, it's even worse..., and yes, I have some :wallbash:
    Been witing for them to jump over the 4€ mark for quite some time now, and I thought that was cheap.

Yup, consumer CPU's aren't where the money is.

5. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

There are a lot of butthurt AMD fanboi's, but the way I see it is AMD have looked to the future and took long term steps. The enthusiast CPU market is just too small and expensive for them. The APU will rise strong, most people are getting by with their old computers because they have moved over to smartphone and tablet use - but will we really want to go PC free? Plus the tech in the AMD chips mean performance should only improve over time.

I just need someone to make an APU TV that can double as a Steam Box.

6. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

We love you too :)

Not that I'd never return to Intel but right now I'm having way too much fun with this PD chip. I've even installed some extra buttons to make it easier to recover when things go bad. Couldn't do that with **** boards so thanks for keeping us in mind and offering some decent products for us AMD users.

Now give us an ITX board.... :D

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Just ask for an ATX one first ;) Once you have that commitment at least then you can ask ITX! The problem is ITX use is still virtually non-existent outside NA/EU.

8. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

could it be
    "use is still virtually non-existent" = "availability is virtually non-existent"

9. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

My Crosshair is the finest board I've ever had. Just stunning. I liked my CH III F too, the only thing that buggered it was the fact it was Nforce.

What I'd like to see now is AM3+ ITX. Even if it's only 4+2 and can only do 4.2ghz or so. I'd dearly like to downsize my lady's PC as she never uses it and it's just sitting there. Thus, being smaller would make it less apparent.. Bloody huge great hulk of a PC :D

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

AMD making a new chipset would be nice *cough* 1090FX*cough*