1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD opens Kaveri A10-7850K pre-orders

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 Jan 2014.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

I did say 90%. Well aware Samsung makes cash on andriod, it's the only company that has made enough of it though. Surveys last year had Samsung and apple above 100% of the profit in smartphones. With htc and Nokia both in negative equity, and blackberry dead I'm not really sure how that will of changed much. ( Nokia has sold out since that comparison was made so you can add in to the dead table) ( will be updated this feb)

Revenue is not profit btw, samsungs latest figures due this month will show how well or not they have done over Christmas( there forecasts are not great compared to last year). Arm made 113mil Samsung made 55billion so by manufacuring you make 50x the cash.

All the cheap Chinese knock offs make very little, googles own range is sold at cost as is amazons.

AMD needs retail a lot more than intel does due to the way it's took its processors. Intels money is made is the server market. That's been the main growth at intel in the last 3-4 years.

Nvidia has a similar story with its own tesla range.

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Samsung have squeezed out HTC which is company not OS. Nokia are now MS so they are pretty much windows (which btw is quite good now , the missus has a Lumia 520)

yes I know revenue isn`t profit , samsungs PROFITS were equal to intel`s REVENUE. and ofc they use ARM.

oh and the ARM quote was profit for Q3 2013 on a revenue of £187 million.

again pretty good for a company not building anything and another growth so that's 5 years worth of growth.

3. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

At least if your arguing with rollo or jrs77 at least stick to the topic.. This bears no relevance if my dads dogs puppies owners sisters 2nd cousin owned a mcdonalds branch that made.more money than burger king.
    I only state this because I was enjoying the debate between you guys, whether hostile or constructive. ;-)

4. rollo

rollo Modder

All these apus and Igpus lack one major thing be that's high speed memory access. The lack of memory bandwidth will always be a issue at high resolution gaming ( 1080p) no matter how powerful they make the actual Gpu.

HSA looks good and if they can get the java support before 2015 they could be onto a winner as this CPU has 8 compute cores according to AMD which gives it 12 compute cores by my maths for program's that can fully support it.

We are also approaching the limits in die space for how big it can surely go. Personally still wonder how much faster this Gpu bit could be with gddr 5 instead of ddr3 memory.

Just look at the ps 4 vs Xbox one pretty significant early performance leads for the ps4 in major titles.

As I've said before though the APU market is pretty small and unless it takes off in a big way I don't really see what future AMD will have in this market segment.

Personally want to see a fx8 core with decent single thread at a competitive price would be nice.

Performance has not exactly gone anywhere in the last few years a 1366 system with a 6 core CPU in it will still beat out any AMD system and anything but intels latest 6 core systems and that's coming on 4 years old now.

Really think both intel and AMD could use a kick up the arse to make a real CPU upgrade. Intel is happy to sell ticks and tocks for huge cash under no pressure from AMD, one good chip and intel might need to actually make something that would be a major upgrade for those of us that need it.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

and 90% of home pc users wouldn't know if they had a tablet or a 2011socket monster , as they all play candy crush....

I agree about ram speed - for APU DDR4 cant come fast enough , you don't have the `real estate` for quad channel and then , that would push system costs way up - boards need to be thicker (as bindi said) and needing 4 ram sticks.

on die ram isn't the answer either - as said about the PS4 and xbox , we are already seeing that limitation , granted though its not mantle coded software. again though as bindi said , GDDR5 in a stick form would be very hard and expensive to make for home users since the tolerances are tight.

I can see AMD using ondie gpu in all platforms - with the gpu side being a huge math processors ala 487 style

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Both AMD and Intel are busy fighting in the mobile devices markets nowadays to bother with a real CPU upgrade, its all about processing power versus power usage.
    The same thing happened with the car, it used to be all about speed and damn the Mpg now its all about Eco this and that, and electric shopping trolleys.

7. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

They are here :D ... and the A10-7850K cost the same price than the i5-4430

http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00160080.html
    http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00148539.html

Waiting for reviews to rain now :lol:. For people like me who do not want a discrete GPU but need a liltle more than an HD4600, this is just perfect !

At least Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI and ECS presented mini-ITX mobo (Asrock and Gigabyte ones are already out for 90-100€)

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Don't hold your breath. My i5-3450 beats the A10-7850k by allmost 100 points in Cinebench R15.

So if you're looking for CPU-perfoormance than Kaveri is total rubbish, especially considering the price being the same as the i5-4430.